Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

N_or_S_bound
Advanced Member

649 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  10:16:34  Show Profile
One unique factor to our region is the fact we are driven by a corridor in which to commute for VA. This in turn was driven by a couple factors that many who've never studied terrain might not appreciate.

In Houston, for example, there are multiple routes from which to choose in order to get to find your way around that metropolis. When one route crumps, drivers simply reroute to an alternate route. I-95/395 and Route 1 hardly compare to the situations available elsewhere.

Don't think you're gonna bulldoze all those high-rent homes for more roads either to provide the kind of flex available elsewhere (newbies to this region don't catch this difference in their early years here).

Consider more factors when making an accusation about "best hov system" vs "worst hov system". One can have the BEST HOV system and still have a terrible commute which only gets worse with additional SOVs in the HOV lanes. Maybe if you consider things from a holistic point of view you'll come out closer to the truth of the matter. Just a thought.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Edited by - N_or_S_bound on 09/01/2006 11:25:40
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

632 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  11:24:04  Show Profile
Question: "...why do we have almost the worst commuting time in the country?"

Answer: because there are far more people who commute from the sub/exurbs into DC proper than in ANY other US city. While many other cities have commuters who travel daily from place to place for their jobs (LA, NY, Houston, Chicago), DC has far more commuters who travel to ONE place every day.

Example: in NY (the number 1 worst US commute), the population in Manhattan does not grow nearly as much during a work-weekday as DC does. NY has far more Manhattan workers who also live in the city, as well as those who commute to other boroughs for jobs. The population in DC grows each workday morning from the +-600,000 residents, to Millions as government workers fill the offices in government buildings each day.

The TRUTH is that we DO have one of the most effective and best people-moving systems in our "HOV/Slug/Carpooling" system. We should be grateful that we can commute via the HOV express lanes. Why would anyone want to mess with a good thing? Ask you local politician!
Go to Top of Page

SpongeBob
Advanced Member

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  15:15:18  Show Profile
To say that HOV is causing us to have the second longest commutes in the country, and that we have the worst HOV system in the country, drifts so far into the realms of pure idiocy, ass-like obstinance, willful blindness, and self-delusional prating ignorance, that I fear Ole NoSUV is finally losing his mind.

Pity him, for he (apparently) know not what he typeth.

I'm sure the I395 HOV lanes are having an effect on people in Rockville riding the Metro. Yeah, right. What a maroon.
Go to Top of Page

slugjo

29 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  15:43:58  Show Profile
Too Funny! There was a Bugs Bunny cartoon where he used the insults "what a maroon, what a imbessell, what a in-cow-poop!" I think Penny Priapus and NoSUV are the same troll. NoSUV is occasionally correct about some things, but when he is wrong (often) it is very entertaining.
Go to Top of Page

PennyPrius

29 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  07:44:13  Show Profile
<=======Not a troll
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  08:18:03  Show Profile
So, let's review:

This is the only region that uses a slug system.
This region is not in the top 5 of highest population density.
This region has the 2nd worst commute.

No cause and effect? Hmmm.
Go to Top of Page

slugjo

29 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  08:39:07  Show Profile
Sorry Penny. Spongebob, Raymond, et al., once again, NoSUV has demonstrated his inability to evaluate the validity of his own argument. Being much greater intellectual giants than he, I'm sure you can easily refute his latest.
Go to Top of Page

SpongeBob
Advanced Member

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  09:39:36  Show Profile
Every morning I log on here and, to my never-ending surprise, I find that NoSUV has topped all his previous efforts with another brilliant display of illogicity.

Is it conceivable that he cannot see the logical fallacy of his "argument" above?

Really, I mean, willful blindness only goes so far. What this looks like is calculated taunting. He knows perfectly well that what he is saying is B.S., but he says it anyway simply to continue the sniping.

It is a classic troll maneuver.
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  10:33:00  Show Profile
Nice answer, Sponge - as usual, irrelevant and pointless. Still trying to soak up how the "best" HOV system causes nearly the worst congestion?
Go to Top of Page

SpongeBob
Advanced Member

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  11:05:54  Show Profile
Pointless? Me? A sponge? Of course I'm pointless, you moron, I'm a rectangle! But I'm irreverent, not irrelevant.

Ahem. So "HOV causes congestion"?

Carpooling ALLEVIATES congestion. Slugging is a form of carpooling.

Solo driving ADDS to congestion: on the carpool lanes as well as at your destination.

So let's see how your argument works: Hmmm... DC traffic is worse now than it was two years ago... what's different... Hmmm... could it be, er, hybrids?

By your "logic", NoSUV, hybrids could be the cause of worsening congestion, since they happen to be driven on the region's roads.

(Don't get all confused and think I believe that. I'm just demonstrating the inherent fallacy of your cum hoc ergo propter hoc argument.)
Go to Top of Page

slugjo

29 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  11:10:23  Show Profile
WOW! He did it again! Spongebob, that's why I won't engage him in discussion. A person with no credibility or ability to conduct an intelligent conversation is best ignored. Maybe you've noticed, but he has never replied to me, either. Maybe in his twisted logic he thinks I have no credibility. This is fun.
Go to Top of Page

PennyPrius

29 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2006 :  12:19:04  Show Profile
Perhaps congestion on our roadways could be because this is a growth region of the country as well as adding certain vehicle types to the HOV lanes.

Of course these facts will be refuted by the sponges et al of the world but oh well.

National average population growth 200-2005 is 5.3% The regional growth here is 6.9%. I wonder how many of the folks that moved here have cars. I will go out on a limb and say most of them do so it is no wonder that congestion is getting worse.

I will also suggest that hybrid drivers might have at one time been slugs but found that system less appealing than driving on their own. Now that may add to the congestion, but I still see little evidence suggesting that there is a need to limit hybrids from the HOV lanes so far. Perhaps if hybrids continue to gain in popularity it will become necassary to change the rules, but not yet. However, hybrid sales have gone flat or decreased over the last few months.

Now that fuel prices have gone down, I would think hybrid sales witll continue to plummit.

Pennyprius<=============not a troll.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

632 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  13:56:39  Show Profile
Thanks for the stats, Penny, they reinforce the argument in favor of carpooling/sluging that most forum participants support.

Also while many SOV hybrid drivers tout MPGs and ecological concerns as their noble motivation to endorse hybrids, you honestly state that you prefer driving on your own. And although I still think all DC commuters should carpool, your lack of pretention is refreshing.

Thanks for the breath of fresh air!
Go to Top of Page

PennyPrius

29 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  15:21:19  Show Profile
Thank you Raymond.

Without boring the group with the details, yes I did go hybrid for the cost savings in fuel first, HOV exemption second. Now that I know it tweaks some of the arrogant posters on here, I have a third reason to love my HOV exempt-2005 Toyota Prius with option package 6-(all the bells and whistles)

<============Not a troll
Go to Top of Page

Bob

781 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  10:26:44  Show Profile
PennyPrius <-------------------- a troll
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Slug-Lines.com Message Board © 2000 - 2017 Forel Publishing Company Go To Top Of Page