Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jody
Advanced Member

347 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  16:19:28  Show Profile
The only hybrid drivers that benefit from the HOV lanes & don't have to worry about the toll are ones that live inside the beltway (Edsall to DC and vice versa). Hybrid drivers who live further south will have to pick up riders to avoid paying the toll. I don't think any of them want to pay a toll from Fairfax, Prince William, Loudoun, or Stafford counties.
Go to Top of Page

HOVME

20 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  15:30:39  Show Profile
I agree for Prince William, Loudoun, or Stafford counties, but it depends on where in Fairfax County. For example, the Springfield slug lines are only a couple miles south or where HOT will end, with hybrids still eligible for all the remaining HOV to DC. I doubt you would see many hybrid drivers bother with the Springfield slug pickups just to save for that limited distance.

HOVME
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  11:36:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Jody

The only hybrid drivers that benefit from the HOV lanes & don't have to worry about the toll are ones that live inside the beltway (Edsall to DC and vice versa). Hybrid drivers who live further south will have to pick up riders to avoid paying the toll. I don't think any of them want to pay a toll from Fairfax, Prince William, Loudoun, or Stafford counties.

Jody - if the basic assumption of many slugs is that people paid the higher (than conventional car) cost of a hybrid to commute alone, then what makes you think that hybrid owners wouldn't just pay the toll?
Go to Top of Page

Jody
Advanced Member

347 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  15:08:31  Show Profile
Fluor has already said they will raise the toll during peak rush hours to control the traffic on the HOT lanes. Along with higher fuel prices, cost of living in this area, hybrid owners want to cut costs too.

Go to Top of Page

HOVME

20 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  09:03:59  Show Profile
Since this thread started with a discussion of SB 209, here is an update. Both houses of the Virginia General Assembly have overwhelmingly passed SB 209 and its companion legislation, HB 85, as amended. The amendment was to remove the expiration date for hybrids on HOV.

HOVME
Go to Top of Page

HOVME

20 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2012 :  22:14:34  Show Profile
NEW LAW FOR HYBRIDS ON HOV LANES
With proper tag, hybrids can use lanes until further notice

Per Virgina DMV: "Under a new law approved by the General Assembly and signed by Gov. Robert F. McDonnell, drivers of hybrid vehicles may continue to use the high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes on Interstates 66, 395, 95 and the Dulles Toll Road during rush hours, provided they have the required clean fuel license plate.

The new law leaves the hybrid exemption open-ended rather than providing a one-year extension as in previous years. This means that hybrids with the approved clean fuel tag (issued before the required dates below) can continue to use the HOV lanes until further notice."

HOVME
Go to Top of Page

SpongeBob
Advanced Member

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2012 :  14:41:45  Show Profile
So Mrs. Sponge bought a Prius Saturday, so we can "live our values" of trying to lessen our impact on the planet. I have always been a vocal opponent of allowing the Hype-breds to use the HOV lanes forever, mostly because they impede the flow of Slugs. I understand how a short window of extra utility helped them gain needed market share (not that gas prices alone weren't enough incentive.) But what has happened since is the creation of a privileged class of people, those who happened to buy a product within a certain window of time. Talk about the State picking winners and losers! How is this even remotely fair?

I'd say it was collusion or self-interest on some legislator's part, but we all know they are not driving hybrids themselves. Nor are car dealers crying out for help selling hybrids: Lustine Toyota told me they cannot keep them in stock - they sell them at full marked up price as fast as they arrive on the lot.

So what the hell gives here? Anyone know who sponsored this bill?
Go to Top of Page

Pele
Advanced Member

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2012 :  09:53:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBob

So Mrs. Sponge bought a Prius Saturday, so we can "live our values" of trying to lessen our impact on the planet.

I think you got misled.
I'm sorry.

What'd you trade in, if ya don't mind me asking.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
Go to Top of Page

Pele
Advanced Member

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2012 :  12:04:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBob

We didn't trade anything in, Pele. We are keeping our old car and giving it to our daughter Sponge who is getting her license next spring. In what way were we misled? The vehicle has a smaller carbon footprint than most others, that is indisputable.

The Prius has a Nickel-Metal Hydride battery pack and permanent magnet electric motor for its electric propulsion system.

How much environmental damage was done to mine the nickel for the battery packs and neodymium for the motor?
I don't think anyone's taken into account the impact of strip mining these minerals from the earth which are usually done in China. We all know how China cares for the environment and the safety of its workers.

What about the refining of these metals and the manufacture of the electric motor and battery pack? Lots of chemicals go into the purification process to extract the raw elements from the ore dug up from the earth. Again, it's mostly done in China and I cite China's environmental and worker protection standards.

I just don't think that the fuel savings over the life of the vehicle as compared with a similar sized conventional car (Such as the Corolla or Civic) equate to the damage done by production of the hybrid drivetrain components.

I do like Toyota's new plant fiber based bioplastics stuff, but that also goes towards conventional vehicle production and is not unique to the Hybrid.

-------------------------
Times to beat:
Horner Rd to/from Pentagon: 12 mins Without Slugs - 17 mins With slugs
Dale City exit to/from 3rd St Tunnel, D.C. 18 mins (No slugs - Holiday)
Go to Top of Page

old_timer

30 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2012 :  13:51:08  Show Profile
Just thought I'd let NOSUV know that according to the latest propaganda put out by the I95 Express Lane people, "Under Virginia law, hybrids may not use Express Lanes for free unless they have three people in the car". It doesn't say anything about an exception.
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  14:54:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by old_timer

Just thought I'd let NOSUV know that according to the latest propaganda put out by the I95 Express Lane people, "Under Virginia law, hybrids may not use Express Lanes for free unless they have three people in the car". It doesn't say anything about an exception.

For the commute, it doesn't personally bother me since I'm off the beltway about 1/2 way between 395 and 66. Both of those roads are forever CSF exempt.

Professionally, it's a step in the wrong direction. Imagine the positive impact on the economy if hybrids were exempt on the toll roads. It could all by itself cure the recession! Not to mention clean up the air and use less fuel (wow! lower dependance on foreign oil while lowering gas prices! What a concept!!!).
Go to Top of Page

scottt

415 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2012 :  15:37:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by old_timer

PLEASE! Don't poke the troll!
Go to Top of Page

lomalibu
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2013 :  14:24:11  Show Profile
Now we will need to pay a surcharge to use the ez-Flex pass. it is the one that is required to identify that we have three people in the car.
Go to Top of Page

scottt

415 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2013 :  08:37:33  Show Profile
If you use the EZFlex Pass at least once a month for carpooling on the HOT lanes, there is no surcharge if you only use the Pass for carpooling. If you use it once for a toll, then you'll pay the surcharge for that month.

Edited by - scottt on 03/01/2013 11:23:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Slug-Lines.com Message Board © 2000 - 2017 Forel Publishing Company Go To Top Of Page