Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two Lines for Horner Road

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
emmancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2002 at 1:04pm
I think no one reads previous replays, so I am posting what I think it is a good solution.

" knew this was coming. We cannot interrupt the bus lane which was created for that purpose only.
On Tuesday the 17th, I witnessed how the bus was forced to stop in the middle of the street because the bus lane was full of cars waiting for sluggers. Meantime, passengers had to cross the street in order to board the bus. It is very dangerous for everyone.

I recommend to re-locate the new slug line inside the parking lot, either on the side of the bus stop or in front of it. Some people are doing this with the difference that they are carpooling."

swichowski View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swichowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2002 at 12:39pm
The same thing happens at 7:00-7:15 when I am there. There gets to be 2 lines started. I did notice a Gov worker observing in a marked car this morning did not know what that was about????
Mabe move the slugline down from bus riders so buses can have room to cut infront of cars without blocking both lanes??????

Edited by - swichowski on 19 Sep 2002 12:41:35
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2002 at 9:37am
I knew this was coming. We cannot interrupt the bus lane which was created for that purpose only.
On Tuesday the 17th, I witnessed how the bus was forced to stop in the middle of the street because the bus lane was full of cars waiting for sluggers. Meantime, passengers had to cross the street in order to board the bus. It is very dangerous for everyone.

I recommend to re-locate the new slug line inside the parking lot, either on the side of the bus stop or in front of it. Some people are doing this with the difference that they are carpooling.

Changing of subject, I was driving on my way to the parking lot on Telegraph Rd, but instead of continuing that road I make a right on PW Parkway. I decided to stay on Telegraph Rd to give it a try. I will never do that. The waiting for the traffic lights giving you the right of way seems forever.

marydom View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marydom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2002 at 8:51am
I have bben slugging for almost 3 year, mostly from Horner Rd. It seems that with the new lot being so large, it should be easy to
designate a "Slug Pick Up" area, not near the bus lanes. Maybe use a specific Lane of the parking lot that is easy to enter and exit.
I am in support of 2 slug lines, much like Potomac Mills has, however the new "pick up point" needs to be a safe one for all concerned.

mary

mary dominguez
mlrdad View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlrdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2002 at 2:58pm
I was riding the bus this am. Picked me up at the location of the new slug line. As we were departing a car cut in front of the bus to pick up someone. Buss had to slam on brakes and I almost was thrown to the floor. Bottom line - the location of the new line is clearly marked for bus use only. Someone is going to get hurt as a result of this bad (and probably illegal) idea.

Bslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2002 at 8:20am
Wow,imagine that! Two lines at Horner CAN work, what a novel idea.

I used the new Horner line this morning and things were pretty smooth.

As far as interference with the buses is concerned, I don't think it's a major problem now. The situation is the same at 14th and New York (evenings) with a lot more traffic, and the buses, drivers and slugs have learned to accomodate.

Let's give it some time for the new line to mature to see how that situation develops.

Bslug

Slug Cheri View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slug Cheri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2002 at 3:53pm
I understand both sides of the complaint here and I unfortunately don't have a solution nor will I start a battle of the wits with my take on the problem. I did, however, want to share my observation from slugging out of Horner this morning at 7:30am. Today I was coming from 95 so I used the Parkway entrance. It was backed up along the road by about 4 cars so that no one could get into the lot to park. I flipped a U-turn and parked along the road instead of sit through that line. Some days I drop off my children and come from Minnieville, using the back entrance to Horner. Those days I am required to park in the nether regions of the lot because you can't get through that way either. In stead of arguing with each other, we need to look at a viable solution to the problem. Neither keeping the lines together OR separating them into two different lots seems to be working. I also noticed that some cars are boycotting the "new" system of two separate lines. I came across about three cars yelling for 14th ST. Has anyone complained to the people who planned the lot that way?

mikeyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2002 at 11:58am
Many of us at Horner Rd. prefer the option of slugging to Pentagon to access Metro if we can't find something along 14th St. If we split the line you take away the versatility. I would prefer to keep 1 line.

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2002 at 1:27pm
It is a very difficult topic. The main traffic entrance to the parking lot is from PW Parkway. Alter this route driving habit is hard not only because the Telegraph Rd. opcion is not a main route, but the entrance and the parking lot itself in that area is desolated. I would not feel confident in finding a lane of cars waiting for slugs.

Bslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2002 at 9:16am
The following reply also appears in the General Slugging Topics. Per the instructions from the administrator it is also being posted here to consolidate all the Horner line conversation. You can access the original post by clicking on the link below.

http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=192

Gold89,

You make some good points, but I believe you are in the minority. It's not Bob who is trying to change the Horner system it's the sluggers who use it.

The system at Horner is currently highly inefficient. If you are going to the Pentagon and you are an early riser then the current system is for you.

However, if you are like the rest of us who are going to other destinations it is at best cumbersome. The majority of the line is made of Pentagoners; you have an unofficial designated person who bellows out points of destinations to people in the line who are too far away to hear the drivers (which can be VERY annoying early in the morning); drivers "cut" the line constantly and wait frustratingly because their destination is not popular(Rosslyn, 14th St., L'Enfant destinations); and 18th street destinations are non-existent as I have experienced especially early in the morning. In short the current Horner system IS BROKEN and must be fixed. Nobody is trying to "SCREW" up anything we are just trying to make an imperfect system better for everyone.

BTW - Most of us who go to PM do so to avoid the craziness at Horner. The valid reasons why we would like to increase our choices for commuting lots are: 1) It is much tougher to get a ride back to PM in the afternoon - Drivers who pick up at PM like to drop people off at Horner effectively messing up the system 2) The Horner lot although admittedly new is vastly under utilized. What is wrong with increasing the choices for commuters on which lot to use based upon their needs? 3) There might be a day (maybe sooner than later) that the PM Lot will be closed as it is not exclusively for commuters as is the Horner Lot.

BSlug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic