Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slug Etiquette

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slug Etiquette
    Posted: 27 Aug 2003 at 8:48am
This site is a wonderful source of information, and I checked it out before I started slugging, but apparently not all riders do. Yesterday, a kind rider pulled up to the Rosslyn stop for Horner riders. I climbed in, as did the person behind me, still gabbing on her cell phone. Then, even though the line was not long, a third person who had just walked up asked if the driver would take another. When the driver said, "Sure," she got in, too. Seeing rider #2 on a cell phone, rider #3 whipped hers out and started making calls. I was embarrassed for all riders. Happily, I can say the actions of these two have been rare in my limited slugging experience.
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2003 at 4:34pm
Reminds me of an incident this week. I got in the back of a nice vehicle and noticed the womans purse on the seat next to me.
I said,"Excuse me Maam, I just want to point out that your purse is back here. There have been a few problems. Not a lot, but a few, so you want to be careful."
She got my point immediately and thanked my three times for making her aware of the potential problem.

I think we should speak up politely to help each other achieve proper etiquette, safety, and protection of property.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2003 at 8:41am
quote:
Originally posted by mroyal
[br]...I think we should speak up politely to help each other achieve proper etiquette, safety, and protection of property.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Thanks, mroyal. I'm afraid I don't know how to handle rude behavior in fellow riders, except possibly to apologize to the driver on behalf of the rest of slugdom. How would you have confronted the cellphone-yammering riders? [8)]
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2003 at 3:13pm
That's a good question, jigga. People are VERY territorial over their cell phone. I've asked a loud-spoken passenger to please talk softer or use the phone later (I was driving and becoming really distracted by her conversation). You would have thought I was coming between a mother and its young!! When you figure out how to handle the cell phone junkies, you let all of us know!!
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2003 at 7:14am
quote:
Originally posted by mirangus
[br]...I've asked a loud-spoken passenger to please talk softer or use the phone later (I was driving and becoming really distracted by her conversation).

Interesting you should mention the volume. Just when I thought the rude passengers of two days ago were an aberration, I was treated to another cellhead yesterday. This man barked loudly: "YEAH?" "WHAT?" "IT HAPPENS!" and so on. This time I did apologize to the driver when we reached Horner, though not within earshot of the cell boor.

How to handle? In a letter to Ann Landers yesterday, one woman on a train said she turned to face a loud caller that was spouting some personal information. After awhile the caller got annoyed and said, "Do you mind? This is a private call!" The woman replied, "No it isn't, Lady. They can hear you in Brooklyn." The caller put away her cell phone. I wish I had that kind of moxie.
NoNo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoNo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2003 at 1:50pm
Sometimes I really miss New York. :)

Do people really WANT total strangers to know their business?
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 8:19am
quote:
Originally posted by JiggaJynx
[br]Thanks, mroyal. I'm afraid I don't know how to handle rude behavior in fellow riders, except possibly to apologize to the driver on behalf of the rest of slugdom. How would you have confronted the cellphone-yammering riders? [8)]

I suppose the best way is to have a handout ready that describes proper etiquette. If that list doesn't include cell phone usage, it should be added.

Otherwise, we could probably create a nice polite paragraph that could be handed to these cell users.

It would run something like.

One of the things I like about slugging is the quiet time in the morning as I gather my thoughts for the coming day, or maybe catch a couple of extra winks. In the afternoon, it is nice to have a quiet period of time as I transition from my professional life back into my personal life.
We, as sluggers, can enhance this commute time by being polite, courteous, and quiet. Please consider these thoughts when you use your cell phone. If you must take a call, please speak quietly and keep the conversation as short as possible.
Thank you so much for your consideration.

I should point out that I would never give this note to a driver. We enter his/her world when we accept a ride.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 9:01am
quote:
Originally posted by mroyal
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by JiggaJynx
[br]Thanks, mroyal. I'm afraid I don't know how to handle rude behavior in fellow riders, except possibly to apologize to the driver on behalf of the rest of slugdom. How would you have confronted the cellphone-yammering riders? [8)]

I suppose the best way is to have a handout ready that describes proper etiquette. If that list doesn't include cell phone usage, it should be added.

Otherwise, we could probably create a nice polite paragraph that could be handed to these cell users.

It would run something like.

One of the things I like about slugging is the quiet time in the morning as I gather my thoughts for the coming day, or maybe catch a couple of extra winks. In the afternoon, it is nice to have a quiet period of time as I transition from my professional life back into my personal life.
We, as sluggers, can enhance this commute time by being polite, courteous, and quiet. Please consider these thoughts when you use your cell phone. If you must take a call, please speak quietly and keep the conversation as short as possible.
Thank you so much for your consideration.

I should point out that I would never give this note to a driver. We enter his/her world when we accept a ride.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

I believe somewhere on the "slug" website, there is some sort of etiquette mentioned. I don't know if it refers to cell phone use, but it does give a sense of what a slug and driver should be responsible for.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 9:08am
Actually, per "Slugging Etiquette" (http://www.slug-lines.com/Slugging/Etiquette.asp), the very first rule is "Slugs do not talk". To me, this includes on cell phones. Yes, I know there are exceptions, but none of the exceptions lists cell phones.

Ref the Dear Abby article: I had to laugh when I was reading it [:)]. Cell phone users must think they're invisible and have a "cone of silence" around them (esp those that, for some unknown reason, shout in to their phones). But then again, I sometimes enjoy listening in on "private" conversations while riding in someone's car[}:)]. Just think of all the rumors we could start based on one end of those conversations we are forced to listen to [}:)][}:)][}:)]
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 11:39am
quote:
Originally posted by Arbo
[br]Actually, per "Slugging Etiquette" (http://www.slug-lines.com/Slugging/Etiquette.asp), the very first rule is "Slugs do not talk". To me, this includes on cell phones. Yes, I know there are exceptions, but none of the exceptions lists cell phones.

Ref the Dear Abby article: I had to laugh when I was reading it [:)]. Cell phone users must think they're invisible and have a "cone of silence" around them (esp those that, for some unknown reason, shout in to their phones). But then again, I sometimes enjoy listening in on "private" conversations while riding in someone's car[}:)]. Just think of all the rumors we could start based on one end of those conversations we are forced to listen to [}:)][}:)][}:)]

That is so funny, I read that same article!! I've often thought about pulling over until they finish their conversation to prove a point, but I never can get up the gumption...maybe one of these days I will!! Ha ha...[:D]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic