Print Page | Close Window

Slug Etiquette

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=593
Printed Date: 07 Sep 2024 at 10:32pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Slug Etiquette
Posted By: JiggaJynx
Subject: Slug Etiquette
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2003 at 8:48am
This site is a wonderful source of information, and I checked it out before I started slugging, but apparently not all riders do. Yesterday, a kind rider pulled up to the Rosslyn stop for Horner riders. I climbed in, as did the person behind me, still gabbing on her cell phone. Then, even though the line was not long, a third person who had just walked up asked if the driver would take another. When the driver said, "Sure," she got in, too. Seeing rider #2 on a cell phone, rider #3 whipped hers out and started making calls. I was embarrassed for all riders. Happily, I can say the actions of these two have been rare in my limited slugging experience.

Replies:
Posted By: mroyal
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2003 at 4:34pm
Reminds me of an incident this week. I got in the back of a nice vehicle and noticed the womans purse on the seat next to me.
I said,"Excuse me Maam, I just want to point out that your purse is back here. There have been a few problems. Not a lot, but a few, so you want to be careful."
She got my point immediately and thanked my three times for making her aware of the potential problem.

I think we should speak up politely to help each other achieve proper etiquette, safety, and protection of property.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2003 at 8:41am
quote:
Originally posted by mroyal
[br]...I think we should speak up politely to help each other achieve proper etiquette, safety, and protection of property.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Thanks, mroyal. I'm afraid I don't know how to handle rude behavior in fellow riders, except possibly to apologize to the driver on behalf of the rest of slugdom. How would you have confronted the cellphone-yammering riders? [8)]

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2003 at 3:13pm
That's a good question, jigga. People are VERY territorial over their cell phone. I've asked a loud-spoken passenger to please talk softer or use the phone later (I was driving and becoming really distracted by her conversation). You would have thought I was coming between a mother and its young!! When you figure out how to handle the cell phone junkies, you let all of us know!!

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2003 at 7:14am
quote:
Originally posted by mirangus
[br]...I've asked a loud-spoken passenger to please talk softer or use the phone later (I was driving and becoming really distracted by her conversation).

Interesting you should mention the volume. Just when I thought the rude passengers of two days ago were an aberration, I was treated to another cellhead yesterday. This man barked loudly: "YEAH?" "WHAT?" "IT HAPPENS!" and so on. This time I did apologize to the driver when we reached Horner, though not within earshot of the cell boor.

How to handle? In a letter to Ann Landers yesterday, one woman on a train said she turned to face a loud caller that was spouting some personal information. After awhile the caller got annoyed and said, "Do you mind? This is a private call!" The woman replied, "No it isn't, Lady. They can hear you in Brooklyn." The caller put away her cell phone. I wish I had that kind of moxie.

Posted By: NoNo
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2003 at 1:50pm
Sometimes I really miss New York. :)

Do people really WANT total strangers to know their business?

Posted By: mroyal
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 8:19am
quote:
Originally posted by JiggaJynx
[br]Thanks, mroyal. I'm afraid I don't know how to handle rude behavior in fellow riders, except possibly to apologize to the driver on behalf of the rest of slugdom. How would you have confronted the cellphone-yammering riders? [8)]

I suppose the best way is to have a handout ready that describes proper etiquette. If that list doesn't include cell phone usage, it should be added.

Otherwise, we could probably create a nice polite paragraph that could be handed to these cell users.

It would run something like.

One of the things I like about slugging is the quiet time in the morning as I gather my thoughts for the coming day, or maybe catch a couple of extra winks. In the afternoon, it is nice to have a quiet period of time as I transition from my professional life back into my personal life.
We, as sluggers, can enhance this commute time by being polite, courteous, and quiet. Please consider these thoughts when you use your cell phone. If you must take a call, please speak quietly and keep the conversation as short as possible.
Thank you so much for your consideration.

I should point out that I would never give this note to a driver. We enter his/her world when we accept a ride.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 9:01am
quote:
Originally posted by mroyal
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by JiggaJynx
[br]Thanks, mroyal. I'm afraid I don't know how to handle rude behavior in fellow riders, except possibly to apologize to the driver on behalf of the rest of slugdom. How would you have confronted the cellphone-yammering riders? [8)]

I suppose the best way is to have a handout ready that describes proper etiquette. If that list doesn't include cell phone usage, it should be added.

Otherwise, we could probably create a nice polite paragraph that could be handed to these cell users.

It would run something like.

One of the things I like about slugging is the quiet time in the morning as I gather my thoughts for the coming day, or maybe catch a couple of extra winks. In the afternoon, it is nice to have a quiet period of time as I transition from my professional life back into my personal life.
We, as sluggers, can enhance this commute time by being polite, courteous, and quiet. Please consider these thoughts when you use your cell phone. If you must take a call, please speak quietly and keep the conversation as short as possible.
Thank you so much for your consideration.

I should point out that I would never give this note to a driver. We enter his/her world when we accept a ride.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

I believe somewhere on the "slug" website, there is some sort of etiquette mentioned. I don't know if it refers to cell phone use, but it does give a sense of what a slug and driver should be responsible for.

Posted By: Arbo
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 9:08am
Actually, per "Slugging Etiquette" (http://www.slug-lines.com/Slugging/Etiquette.asp), the very first rule is "Slugs do not talk". To me, this includes on cell phones. Yes, I know there are exceptions, but none of the exceptions lists cell phones.

Ref the Dear Abby article: I had to laugh when I was reading it [:)]. Cell phone users must think they're invisible and have a "cone of silence" around them (esp those that, for some unknown reason, shout in to their phones). But then again, I sometimes enjoy listening in on "private" conversations while riding in someone's car[}:)]. Just think of all the rumors we could start based on one end of those conversations we are forced to listen to [}:)][}:)][}:)]

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 11:39am
quote:
Originally posted by Arbo
[br]Actually, per "Slugging Etiquette" (http://www.slug-lines.com/Slugging/Etiquette.asp), the very first rule is "Slugs do not talk". To me, this includes on cell phones. Yes, I know there are exceptions, but none of the exceptions lists cell phones.

Ref the Dear Abby article: I had to laugh when I was reading it [:)]. Cell phone users must think they're invisible and have a "cone of silence" around them (esp those that, for some unknown reason, shout in to their phones). But then again, I sometimes enjoy listening in on "private" conversations while riding in someone's car[}:)]. Just think of all the rumors we could start based on one end of those conversations we are forced to listen to [}:)][}:)][}:)]

That is so funny, I read that same article!! I've often thought about pulling over until they finish their conversation to prove a point, but I never can get up the gumption...maybe one of these days I will!! Ha ha...[:D]

Posted By: Mit
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2003 at 12:23pm
I'm with ya! Thing is about starting rumors, for some reason every conversation I have been held captive (in the car) listening to is inane and of the babbling "nothings" sort. Nothing to start a rumor about unless we wanted to take extreme liberties. Standard phone user lines: "So, what are you doing?" or "So, what's for dinner?" Being stuck in a car or in line with these people who go on and on really is a form of torture, you know. I think I've actually developed a tick!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Arbo
[br]Actually, per "Slugging Etiquette" (http://www.slug-lines.com/Slugging/Etiquette.asp), the very first rule is "Slugs do not talk". To me, this includes on cell phones. Yes, I know there are exceptions, but none of the exceptions lists cell phones.

Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2003 at 3:03pm
Hey all, try this, it worked for me one day while waiting for a plane. As I was standing in line waiting to board the aircraft, a gentleman answered his phone and began to chat with what sounded like a "friend". I guess he had to continuously turn around and chat in my direction in order to keep a clear connection. Due to how loud he had his phone set, I could actually hear the person on the other end. I guess he started getting a little nervous and upset when I started looking him dead in the face and making little head gestures based on what I was hearing from the phone. It wasn't long before he started speaking very softly, and even trying to cover the mouth peice so I could not hear what he was saying any more. Again, it worked for me and a few people who witnessed it told me they would try it if they were ever in that situation. Needless to say, I had a great laugh on my way home!

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2003 at 8:59am
quote:
Originally posted by VA_Slugger
[br]Hey all, try this, it worked for me one day while waiting for a plane. As I was standing in line waiting to board the aircraft, a gentleman answered his phone and began to chat with what sounded like a "friend". I guess he had to continuously turn around and chat in my direction in order to keep a clear connection. Due to how loud he had his phone set, I could actually hear the person on the other end. I guess he started getting a little nervous and upset when I started looking him dead in the face and making little head gestures based on what I was hearing from the phone. It wasn't long before he started speaking very softly, and even trying to cover the mouth peice so I could not hear what he was saying any more. Again, it worked for me and a few people who witnessed it told me they would try it if they were ever in that situation. Needless to say, I had a great laugh on my way home!

Ha, ha, love it! Now that you mention it, I use a similar tactic to get my teenage stepdaughter to turn down her music when it's so loud I can hear it from her earphones. I start "groovin'" in rhythm to the tune, and, being mortally embarrassed by anything adult, she turns down the volume without a word. [:D]

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net