Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

VA_Hybrid

11 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2006 :  21:09:21  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Bob[/i]
[br]I think it is ridiculous how polluting some hybrids are when they are accelerating on an entry ramp. I'm sitting there and all of a sudden I can hardly breathe because of the noxious SO2 (rotten egg) fumes. I look up and there is a hybrid (or two or three) in front of me.

If we can't get these things out of the HOV, at least we should force them to meet some exhaust standards.

You all contradict yourself all the time. I thought my hybrid emitted the same as your SUV?? How come you are choking on hybrid fumes but not on your SUV's fumes? How about diesel fumes ever chocked on those?
Go to Top of Page

scottt

415 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  08:22:31  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by PennyPrius[/i]
[br]

Personally, I think it is illogical and borderline illegal to use my tax dollars to build something and then tell me I can't use it because I don't meet the criteria. What kind of crap is that? Only special people can use a federal Hwy?

There are lots of things build with tax dollars that you can't use. Try walking into the US Mint and see how far you get. Ask to view Ft. Knox. The Situation Room of the White House. Etc, etc, etc.....
Go to Top of Page

SpongeBob
Advanced Member

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  09:44:07  Show Profile
PennyP wrote: "Personally, I think it is illogical and borderline illegal to use my tax dollars to build something and then tell me I can't use it because I don't meet the criteria."

Oh, but please notice that PennyPrius is all too happy to take advantage of the hybrid exemption on the HOV!

What a total hypocrite.
Go to Top of Page

SlugsB1tch2Much
Average Member

98 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  09:59:03  Show Profile
Thank you Bob and Scott for your cogent analyses regarding Penny; you can only thank God when idiocy is so obvious in her ridiculous statements.
Go to Top of Page

PennyPrius

29 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  10:36:18  Show Profile
It is an absolute shame that so many know how to read, but so few have the ability to comprhend what they actually have read.

Me saying I don't think it fair that my tax dollars go to something that I can't really use is quite being a hypocrite because I own the type of vehicle that can use the road. HOV 2 would allow that many more vehicles on to a road that is under utilized and free up the regular lanes a bit more. To me a win win situation. Or at the very least a lose less/lose less situation.

The problems with our country are many, some wonderful expamples of the problem are right here in this chat. Being so insolated and narrow minded does not a country good. Being so quick to snap and judge is not healthy for America either. Opinions are OK people, but to put someone down for having a differing one than yours is immature, unhealthy and unacceptable.

That being said, our leadership says we don't need more roads but more tele-commuting, more affordable housing close in, more jobs further out, yatta-yatta. The simple fact remains that a road system designed 50 plus years ago, is simply not working. It is highly obvious that our road system was designed for much less traffic than what is on it today.

The laws of physics apply here. But roads are very expensive to put in. So our lawmakers tell us we need to do this do that and the next thing. Yet, the solution is simple, build more roads (lanes) to handle the more cars that are on the roads. It isn't rocket science, it's politics. They would rather allocate the funds to other projects that make more money for the rich. I think it was Marie Antoinette that once said, "Let them eat cake"

Put into modern terms, the conversation would be,

Common folk: "Your majesty, the roads are too crowded, the accidents too many, there aren't enough lanes for the amount of cars on them."

Leaders: "Oh, let them tele-commute"

The attitude Marie had did not bode well for her since she was beheaded. The attitude is not good here either. Think about it people, 3 lanes in the 60's was ok, but now? I don't think so.

Edited by - PennyPrius on 08/31/2006 10:39:43
Go to Top of Page

PennyPrius

29 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  10:43:53  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by scottt[/i]
[br]
quote:
[br]

Personally, I think it is illogical and borderline illegal to use my tax dollars to build something and then tell me I can't use it because I don't meet the criteria. What kind of crap is that? Only special people can use a federal Hwy?

There are lots of things build with tax dollars that you can't use. Try walking into the US Mint and see how far you get. Ask to view Ft. Knox. The Situation Room of the White House. Etc, etc, etc.....

Ok, let me simplify it for you. "National Parks go HOV-3" Do you think that would be fair?
Go to Top of Page

PennyPrius

29 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  10:47:18  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by SlugsB1tch2Much[/i]
[br]Penny,

Are you new to the area? If so, then I think that your idea of HOV-2 comes from a lack of experience. From the time I've been living in Woodbridge, it is my opinion that HOV-2 is the most asinine commuting solution for this area. That would flood the HOV lane and totally ruin any chance of a 25 min commute b/w the hours of 6:00 and 6:30 in the morning. Why don't you just suck it up and try following the rules, instead of bitching, you'll love the results.

PS
Do my military friends a favor and leave Iraq out of a conversation about HOV-3; it's a trite and played out analogy for just about every topic that has little or no relation to it.

What rules am I not following? The comment about the war was in now way meant to take away from what our military people do. I am not that insensitive or naive.
Go to Top of Page

sluDgE

1563 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  11:55:25  Show Profile
Penny,

Historical factoid ... I-95 wasn't three lanes between Dale City and Richmond until the mid-to-late 1980's.

Have a great Labor Day weekend!
Go to Top of Page

PennyPrius

29 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  12:02:37  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by sluDgE[/i]
[br]Penny,

Historical factoid ... I-95 wasn't three lanes between Dale City and Richmond until the mid-to-late 1980's.

Have a great Labor Day weekend!

Good to know. Since then, traffic has increased again. They thought to widen the road then, perhaps they should think about that again instead of these crazy rules.
Go to Top of Page

SpongeBob
Advanced Member

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  12:29:05  Show Profile
Periodically, PennyP, we have a new troll like you who shows up to tell us how selfish we are for carpooling and "keeping the lanes for ourselves."

These new trolls often use the "U" word: under-utilized.

It is the dead giveaway that we are talking to a Toll Road Troll. Would you happen to be an employee of one of the companies that wants to make money by stealing the taxpayer-built carpool lanes on I95?

Your arguments are invalid and have been refuted on this board so many times over the years that we have little left but scorn to heap on your anti-carpooling mentality.

Go to Top of Page

N_or_S_bound
Advanced Member

649 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  12:35:42  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by SpongeBob[/i]
[br]
If your assertion were true, then it would be even more helpful to open up all five lanes of the roadway to ALL traffic. But then very few people would carpool, and none would slug. And with all the extra cars those former slugs and carpoolers add to the mix, the roads would be clogged on both sides, all five lanes.

All you have to do is look around Horner Road lot one morning, then imagine all those thousands of cars on the road. And add Seidenstricker, and Potomac Mills, and 610, and Old Hechinger's, and 234, and so on...

Of course, where ya gonna park all those vehicles once they get "into the city"? Seems you've now shifted the parking problem from areas that have more land to convert to parking spaces to a place that doesn't have land unless you convert buildings to rubble. Interesting quandry.

Why is it the SOVs don't see a problem when it comes to parking? Curious that.

A possibility for those who choose (or "don't have a choice") the main lanes, is that they could usually pick up a slug or ten, still drop off at the Pentagon or like area, then backtrack AND STILL save time/money/fuel. A final note about the group that "don't have a choice" but to mainlane, many are blue-collar workers who don't park on the north end of the drive--they use their vehicles thruout the day in the normal course of events. How much better if they were hybrids, getting BETTER mileage (on the whole) as they sit in the mainline, not having to park, and using their vehicle for their daily work in some fashion of stop&go traffic throught the day?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

632 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  12:46:33  Show Profile
Now, now, sponge and SB2M, is this any way to talk to a newbie to this forum?! Penny is entitled to her opinions, and while posting them and discussing the issues she will learn, as the rest of us have, the relevant facts and the battlelines that we are fighting for. I think there is always room for new views of old ideas (ex. "tele-commuting, more affordable housing close in"), so lets keep our minds open. And lets try to be nice to others.
Go to Top of Page

PennyPrius

29 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  12:47:34  Show Profile
HOV because you care? Give me a break. Some sluggers are making a politcal statement I am sure, but no way will you convince me that there are many that do it because they care, they do it because it is fulfilling some other need. Time, lack of vehicle, saving money, etc. Not because they care about saving our natural resources. WEAK!

Oh and I am so sorry to those who have been here posting for a longer period of time than I have. I didn't realize that once a topic was covered, that it could not be covered ever again. I will try to read the thousands of posts and limit myself to only those topics that have NOT been covered before.

Do any of you read what you type before clicking "post" if you did you would save us all alot of postering and bluster. As well as arrogance, ignorance and lack of tolerance for any opinion that differs from your own.
Go to Top of Page

N_or_S_bound
Advanced Member

649 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  13:35:34  Show Profile
quote:
[br]HOV because you care? Give me a break. Some sluggers are making a politcal statement I am sure, but no way will you convince me that there are many that do it because they care, they do it because it is fulfilling some other need. Time, lack of vehicle, saving money, etc. Not because they care about saving our natural resources. WEAK!

Penny,

Welcome to the board!

Yep, I put that sig on my posts, but it does have another meaning for certain folks. There are those who can choose to SOV, because they can. There are those who can choose to SOV, but choose to HOV because they care. It's for each to decide why they HOV/SOV.

Sometimes we make choices that do have benefits beyond our motives for doing something. Slugs do fall into that category whether everyone wants to agree with it or not.

I'm sorry if you still view my statement as "weak", but it's my statement and you're entitled to your opinion. Again, welcome to the dialogue. You and others may choose less than gracious behavior, I'll not choose to respond in like kind. On the contrary, I'll gladly agree to meet face to face for a more genial and potentially more effective exchange of ideas on commuting in Northern VA.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Go to Top of Page

SpongeBob
Advanced Member

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  14:04:02  Show Profile
Stop whining, PennyP. We're all big boys and girls here. You have two tools to use on this board: words and your wit. (Maybe wisdom, too, but that is not a requirement.) If you can't keep up, get thee to the sidelines.

Now, if your points are good, we'll accept them. If not....

So far you have offered HOV-2 and paving more lanes and allowing even more SOV's into the carpool lanes.

What, did you just get done reading the Fluor plan to build a private concession inside the public conveyance?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Slug-Lines.com Message Board © 2000 - 2017 Forel Publishing Company Go To Top Of Page