Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

scottt

415 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  09:52:51  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by NoSUV[/i]
[br]If so, they are in the wrong location. Who in their right mind moves someplace where they can't afford to get to their workplace? Oh, a slug.

When I moved here in 2000, my property taxes were about $200 a month. Now they are $400 a month (same house)

Gas was $0.99 a gallon for premium, now it's $2.19 for regular. I paid $0.31 a therm for natural gas, now my bill is $1.36 a therm.

Things have gone up. I no longer have two household incomes, just one.

So, unless you write me a check for $8000.00, my Mazda 6i and I will be quite happy together for another 1.5 years.
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  16:41:51  Show Profile
scottt - it's certainly about choices. Have you ever asked anyone from the older generation how they survived the Depression? Lots of thing you CAN do but choose not to.

Stop eating out. At $100/week that's over $5K right there! Grow your own vegetables (that lawn isn't doing you any good). Put your kids into the same bedroom and rent out a room.

You don't need my money - you just need to reallocate your own assets. Make some changes and buy a hybrid.
Go to Top of Page

scottt

415 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  09:26:24  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by NoSUV[/i]
[br]scottt - it's certainly about choices. Have you ever asked anyone from the older generation how they survived the Depression? Lots of thing you CAN do but choose not to.

Stop eating out. At $100/week that's over $5K right there! Grow your own vegetables (that lawn isn't doing you any good). Put your kids into the same bedroom and rent out a room.

You don't need my money - you just need to reallocate your own assets. Make some changes and buy a hybrid.

We don't eat out, period. Gave that up a long time ago.

Grow our own vegetables would probably save $5 a month. At that rate it would only take me 133 years to save up for the Hybrid.

RENT OUT A ROOM? Do you actually read what you type? Subject my family to a total stranger.

Hate to lower myself to this level, but I'm going to type it. Either cough up the $8,000, or shut up.

Edited by - scottt on 10/19/2006 09:46:10
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  10:59:37  Show Profile
Ah - so you NEVER spoke to the older generation on surviving the Depression? You are unwilling to make any "sacrifices?" No surprise.
Go to Top of Page

scottt

415 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  09:41:39  Show Profile
Define "sacrifice"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

632 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  13:54:54  Show Profile
NoSUV, as usual you talk a very noble story, but are light on your views on society. You really need a reality check. "The Depression?" What do you know of it? Sure you talk about victory gardens and flop-house style living, but that just demonstrates your ignorance! Do you really think cashing in soda bottles and re-using tin foil is going to fix our problems? Sure it will, just like mandating bus riding and outlawing POVs will. NOT!

Oh, but you have another solution: let's all buy hybrids! What an idiot! Why would you even propose such a lark, but to inflame! Forget that this runs contrary to your depression-era lifestyle sermon of just a few lines ago, we should all spend what equates to the average depression-era annual salary as a hybrid premium, in addition to the cost of a new energy efficeint traditional car, to buy a new car. Forget that cars of today are far more energy efficient, safer and cleaner than a depression are car. Should we turn back the hands of time or drive a hybrid into the future? Instead I think we would be better off lining up to follow NoSUV driving off a cliff!

NoSUV needs to try some of NoSUV's own medicine.
Go to Top of Page

NoSUV
Advanced Member

1076 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  15:51:16  Show Profile
raymond - review the string before making your comments. It makes you look stupid, and I have the feeling that wasn't your intent. These comments were about a single individual not knowing how to save $8K.
Go to Top of Page

bnvus
Senior Member Member

145 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2006 :  14:19:14  Show Profile
...and just to clarify Penny. Cops are exempt because they carry firearms. Even when they are off duty they are on duty. I have no qualms about them being on HOV cause they can potentially be saving someones life.
Go to Top of Page

SpongeBob
Advanced Member

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2006 :  09:46:19  Show Profile
Cops are not exempt because they carry firearms.

From VDOT's website: "4. Emergency vehicles (fire, ambulance, rescue) and law enforcement vehicles are exempt. Public utility vehicles are permitted to use HOV lanes when responding to emergency calls."

I take this to mean that cop cars, not cops, have the right to use the HOV lanes at will. How is a state trooper on the side of the road supposed to know that the woman driving the Accord alone is a cop? And don't tell me about the little dashboard lights, either.

Some time ago I saw a page on VDOT's website that had the rules spelled out using the legal authorization language: it said something about "officers of the court in the pursuit of their duties" had HOV exemption.

Cops are not exempt because they are lifesavers. If that were the criteria then doctors and paramedics and off-duty firefighters ought to have exemption, too. Cops have exemption because... well, figure it out for yourself.

As long as they aren't abusing the privilege like this is Russia then I don't have a problem with them, either.
Go to Top of Page

bnvus
Senior Member Member

145 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  15:10:56  Show Profile
That is what I meant by them carrying firearms. Most of the time they are in unmarked vehicles with law enforcement. Sorry need to clarify.
Go to Top of Page

Bob

781 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  08:36:58  Show Profile
Article in the B section of todays wall st journal talking about the fact that blind pedestrians cannot hear silent hybrids and they need to hear something for safety. I never thought about that but even with normal vision, I have been surprised a couple of times to look up and a hybrid was waiting on me and I didnt know it was there.
Go to Top of Page

LDOMAJ
Senior Member Member

145 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  11:07:48  Show Profile
I've had riders comment on the same thing... maybe we do like we used to do on our childhood bicycles... clothes pin and a playing card against the spokes (grin).
Go to Top of Page

victorhugoa

7 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  08:25:12  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Bob[/i]
[br]Article in the B section of todays wall st journal talking about the fact that blind pedestrians cannot hear silent hybrids and they need to hear something for safety. I never thought about that but even with normal vision, I have been surprised a couple of times to look up and a hybrid was waiting on me and I didnt know it was there.

…it happened to me. I didn’t know the car was there and almost… ouch.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

632 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  13:25:16  Show Profile
Drive safe, what ever you drive! And walk safe, especially in the city!
Go to Top of Page

winglover1

17 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  21:46:20  Show Profile
Most cars with a properly functioning Catalytic converter will produce the lovely smell you mention. Your car may as well, but the fumes are far behind you being breathed in by others, you don't know what kind of smell you put out. Kind of like farting in the wind.. Did I do that?? The thing is, they may smell funny, but they are producing hardly any greenhouse gases which is very good for all. Plug the nose or get one of those smelly trees and hang from the rear view. Hybrids are a good thing! They exceed the polution standards! Smell of rotten eggs-- Good. Smell of un-burned gas-- Bad!

quote:
Originally posted by Bob

I think it is ridiculous how polluting some hybrids are when they are accelerating on an entry ramp. I'm sitting there and all of a sudden I can hardly breathe because of the noxious SO2 (rotten egg) fumes. I look up and there is a hybrid (or two or three) in front of me.

If we can't get these things out of the HOV, at least we should force them to meet some exhaust standards.

AKA Mr. Bill
Oh Nooo!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Slug-Lines.com Message Board © 2000 - 2017 Forel Publishing Company Go To Top Of Page