Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

hawaiiangirl

8 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  12:08:33  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by chmp[/i]
[br]"Scared the living you know what out of me and I suppose I stayed on my cell phone the entire trip to try and keep my mind off of how bad he was driving"

This was in hawaiiangirls original post...so apparently she did not care enough to get off the phone. Regardless it sounds like the driver was driving to fast and the rider was angry and wanted to vent it here, though I believe the "clean hands doctrine" comes into play here. Neither parties may come to the court when they are both guilty of wrongdoing...hence...both parties guilty of wrongdoing here, so a statement by either should be taken with a huge grain of salt!

Personally, as a rider, I would rather be in a car going over the speed limit than in a car with another slug on the phone the whole time.

Ok this is getting old so have at it. Peace.

CHMP, had I known I was being that much of a pest and annoyance much, much earlier in the trip, trust me, I would have gotten off the phone. That would not have been a problem. And you're right, I do agree that his annoyance with me could have fueled his attitude towards me, but then you should have said something sooner and not drive faster, if that was the case. I truly did not know I was annoying him. Why would I encourage that? That's crazy. You're entitled to your opinion and good luck in a fast driving car....Be safe!
Go to Top of Page

getmehome pweeze

1091 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  12:13:02  Show Profile

He COULD HAVE said something like "Ms., please finish up your conversation'...I guess that would have been easier than pulling over.

Hawaiiangirl, quick question, were you in the front or back, and what was the reaction of the other slug?

on a lighthearted note:
Maybe this whole thing was a conspiracy by a sluglines member to see if you would come post about this incident...do do do do ....

GMHP was hea!
Go to Top of Page

hawaiiangirl

8 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  12:28:35  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by getmehome pweeze[/i]
[br]
He COULD HAVE said something like "Ms., please finish up your conversation'...I guess that would have been easier than pulling over.

Hawaiiangirl, quick question, were you in the front or back, and what was the reaction of the other slug?

on a lighthearted note:
Maybe this whole thing was a conspiracy by a sluglines member to see if you would come post about this incident...do do do do ....

GMHP was hea!

GMHP, I'm afraid to say, because I feel tremendously bad, as that is the kind of person that I am, that my actions would have caused someone to get that upset with me that they felt the only thing to do was pull over. I'm a pretty caring person and of course I fall short of that as most of us do. We're all only human. But in answer to your question which made the situation perhaps be even more fueled was that I was in the front, but talking very low and not with all the normal animation and laughing that some folks may exhibit while on the phone. The other slug didn't say one thing, not one peep. And he just got in his car when we got out into the lot. That was it. I will say that it's been a real learing experience and despite this experience I will certainly pay more attention to possibly offending someone the next time. Thanks for your comments.
Go to Top of Page

getmehome pweeze

1091 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  13:04:45  Show Profile
Don't stress it, we've all had rides that we wish we hadn't taken, it's the learning experience I guess. Sorry for the harshness earlier.

GMHP was hea!
Go to Top of Page

shelbybrynn
Senior Member Member

230 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  13:47:58  Show Profile
Hawaiiangirl, I find it hard to believe that common sense and courtesy would not dictate to you that carrying on a lengthy cell phone conversation in someone else's car, in the front seat no less, would not be considered rude. True, the driver's response wasn't appropriate but you initiated the rudeness and should learn from this experience. As for posting about the DO NOT RIDE list, stick to what he was doing wrong and not trying to justify your actions.

Edited by - shelbybrynn on 06/13/2006 13:49:08
Go to Top of Page

hawaiiangirl

8 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  13:59:39  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by shelbybrynn[/i]
[br]Hawaiiangirl, I find it hard to believe that common sense and courtesy would not dictate to you that carrying on a lengthy cell phone conversation in someone else's car, in the front seat no less, would not be considered rude. True, the driver's response wasn't appropriate but you initiated the rudeness and should learn from this experience. As for posting about the DO NOT RIDE list, stick to what he was doing wrong and not trying to justify your actions.

Shelbybrynn: I appreciate your comments, although I think you should re-read what my earlier comments were, that way you wouldn't need to send this response. You obviously have not read what I wrote, much less what my reasons were for posting this from the beginning. I'm assuming with the name of Shelby that your a female and if I'm wrong I apologize, but you should hope this situation, as a female never happens to you, it may or may not ever have anything to do with you being on a cell phone, it could be the driver doesn't like what color your wearing one day and decides to kick you out of the car on I-95. Who knows, and God forbid it doesn't happen to you. I think a lot of folks have used this forum to speak their mind, and so be it.

Thanks again everyone for your comments. After this last response I will choose to not respond or make any further comments.
Go to Top of Page

hawaiiangirl

8 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  14:03:57  Show Profile
quote:
[i]Originally posted by getmehome pweeze[/i]
[br]Don't stress it, we've all had rides that we wish we hadn't taken, it's the learning experience I guess. Sorry for the harshness earlier.

GMHP was hea!

GMHP: No harshness taken. It's usually hard to hurt my feelings, but I will say I thought I would get more support then this. LOLOL! Thanks again and I really do appreciate your comments. If we all stopped our willingness to learn, where would we be right? I think comments from all of us are important and some may be more than others but I think everyone should comment with consideration for others, no matter right or wrong. Again, be safe and Take Care
Go to Top of Page

shelbybrynn
Senior Member Member

230 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  14:13:39  Show Profile
Yes, hawaiiangirl, I had unfortunately read though your long-winded whine fest and I still think you were trying to justify your rude behavior by calling out the driver's problems. Just admit it was extremely rude behavior and that you knew it was rude but you didn't care, until the point when he called you out on it!! Then you can agree to not carry on lengthy conversations in someone else's car again. Then we will all be happy, driver's and slugs alike!!

BTW, your comment about your choice of clothing was quite humorous but nonetheless, it has nothing to do with your rudeness.
Go to Top of Page

MSCUSN
Average Member

52 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  16:10:55  Show Profile
WOW hawaiiangirl, I can unfortunately understand why the driver was so upset, you were on the phone for over 30 minutes (pentagon to Quantico), what could you have been talking about. If I were in a car and I thought the driver was going to get me killed, I would ask him or her to pull over, it is best to be stranded on the side of I95 alive than dead in the HOV lane. I always drive, and I am sure my driving habits annoy some riders and for that I am sorry, but hey it is a free ride, they can choose not to ride with me a second time. But as a driver I really do dislike the cell phone conversation that goes on and on and on. Long cell phone calls (personal not business in nature) and people who smack their gum when they chew annoy the hell out of me! I probably would not have said anything to you, I would just make sure I never pick you up again.
Go to Top of Page

scottt

415 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  09:08:58  Show Profile
hawaiiangirl, you had no business being on a cell phone that long, period. (cell phone calls for slugs should be no longer than 30 seconds)

driver of car could have handled it better, period.

That about sums it up.
Go to Top of Page

BabblinB
Average Member

68 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  10:34:52  Show Profile
Alot of these nit-wits are negative.
Go to Top of Page

SpongeBob
Advanced Member

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  14:41:03  Show Profile
Oh, why not, I'll throw a log on the fire:

Slugs are GUESTS in the personal space of the driver. Would you sit in a stranger's cubicle or kitchen and hold a long cell conversation? Of course not. How much more offensive within the small bounds of a car.

Why should the rest of us even have to explain this to you?

This Sponge is very tired of all the selfish, arrogant, entitled, oblivious, and downright rude humans who think that they can do or dress or loudly say anything they want, and if you don't like it, then you are disrespecting them.

One morning I (nicely) pointed out to another slug that it wasn't considered etiquette for slugs to talk on their cells. The driver and I were treated to an extremely loud, prolonged, and profane burst of anger. It was a bit scary. And I felt bad because I had inadvertently put the driver into this situation.
Go to Top of Page

N_or_S_bound
Advanced Member

649 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  15:00:09  Show Profile
So much here, so little server space to record it all.

How about we sum it up with a word that seems to be falling into disuse if not dis-practice (I understand those aren't really words used "rightly", go with it tho')...COURTESY.

If we all practiced it, whether as drivers or slugs or even just humans, life wouldn't need to be so contentious as to require this many posts voicing opinions about who done what to whom when.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
Go to Top of Page

getmehome pweeze

1091 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  15:05:01  Show Profile
De ja vu??

GMHP was hea!
Go to Top of Page

BabblinB
Average Member

68 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  16:21:53  Show Profile
The driver and I were treated to a hot cup of coffee that the passanger on the phone later spilled on us. OUCH!!!

Some of us slugs are cranky, and some just enjoy the commute.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Slug-Lines.com Message Board © 2000 - 2017 Forel Publishing Company Go To Top Of Page