Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Virginia wants to start charging for the EZ Pass
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Virginia wants to start charging for the EZ Pass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siggy14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virginia wants to start charging for the EZ Pass
    Posted: 05 May 2012 at 3:44pm
Plan to screw more people out of their money.

Step 1: Sell roads and make them hot lanes. Require all people that use the hot lanes use the EZ Pass Transponder.

Step 2: Set in motion to start charging all EZ Pass holders 1 dollar a month fee.

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2012/may/05/vdot-wont-hold-hearings-e-zpass-fees-ar-1893327/
billybaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 2:04pm
Paying Va to have the ability to pay to use a Va highway. I also think this idea is crazy. EZPASS was meant to be a way to help state DOT's ease congestion (faster toll collection and less toll attendants) not to be an extra "slush" revenue source. The worst part is I typically have three occupants in my vehicle and If i choose to use these lanes I will need to get this (FLEX) pass with HOV switch for $1 amonth. A real good incentive to carpool (inser sarcasm here). Please voice your displeasure and reply to this thread.. I hope VDOT listens
smithma View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 8:31pm
Replying to this won't do much.

Per the article above send your feedback to vdotinfo@vdot.virginia.gov
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 6:53am
quote:
Originally posted by billybaru

EZPASS was meant to be a way to help state DOT's ease congestion (faster toll collection and less toll attendants) not to be an extra "slush" revenue source.

Just as HOV was meant to be a way to ease congestion, not to be an extra "slush" revenue source. The problem with those good intentions is there are people whose job is to look around and find potential sources of revenue and there are politicians addicted to the taxpayers' money.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 12:01pm
When MD started charging for their EZPass, I moved all mine to the Peace Bridge in New York. No monthly fee.
billybaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 12:52pm
right on...I am originally from NY and both of my vehicles have NY Ezpass'es. Free yearly as long as you have auto replenishment attached to a credit card. Hopefully NY can issue the "FLEX" transponders with the same cost (usage only)
KeithO View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeithO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 10:04pm
I've had a MD EZ Pass for +5 yrs and have never had a charge beyond the initial set up & stuff. It's on auto renewal (to a credit card) when it gets below a certain level, but you can set you limits. Youll get a letter every ~6 months if you dont use it, but if you just call them in 30 days they will keep the account open. They just want to make sure you didnt lose their equipment.
In other words, if VA is going to charge, take your business to a state that wont they dont care.

KeithO
billybaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2012 at 9:36am
VDOT is looking for publci comment on the proposed monthly EZpass fees. speak now

http://www.virginiadot.org/e-zpass

KeithO View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeithO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 9:33pm
This is my response that I just sent to vdotinfo@vdot.virginia.gov. I'm posting it here, for the record, too.

I am AGAINST the proposal to charge $1/month fee for transponder use. First, the cost of all tolls collected should adequately cover all associated costs of the tool lanes. Nobody pays an extra surcharge when going through a manned toll booth, nor should they have to pay a monthly surcharge to use a transponder that should ultimately be cheaper than having a person collecting tolls.
Second, folks using the HOT lanes with HOV3 should not even be required to have a transponder. If a person is only going to use HOT lanes with HOV3 then they should not have to go through the inconvenience of having to obtain a transponder and the possibility of having charges incorrectly recorded against their transponder account. I, for one, would much rather put my transponder away when using HOV 3 to ensure that I dont incur any incorrect charges.
Finally, according to the VDOT Funding, Key Business Terms and Procurement FACT SHEET, dated July 2008 (http://vahotlanes.com/documents/CB-HOT-terms-July-08-Fact-Sheet.pdf) : Vehicles with three or more passengers and transit must ride free. Requiring HOV3 drivers to purchase a transponder and / or charging HOV3 drivers with a transponder a monthly surcharge for the luxury of having a transponder would be breaking the original promises made to the people of Virginia to maintain the free ride.

KeithO
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic