Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedEZ Pass Flex

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EZ Pass Flex
    Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 8:47am
Since the lanes are opening this month, have you noticed if the drivers have their EZ Pass flex transponders yet? I don't see too many of them. Wonder how many will be caught without them when they flip the switch.
KeithO View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeithO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 12:22pm
As a rider, I've been trying to notice (if they have one or not) when getting into a car and commenting positively to the driver if they have one or inquiring about their intentions to get one if they do not. I try to inquire to both about their intentions to continue using the slug system. I think as riders we have a responsibility to make sure the system remains viable.

KeithO
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 2:26pm
Yup - many of the Rolling Valley drivers have either already gotten the new Flex pass or have stated an intent to. I bought mine at Giant about a month ago. Normally I slug, but I've been driving lately.
eao View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 8:38am
Many may be doing what I did which is not putting the device up until it is absolutely necessary. I have had mine for several weeks but due to the fact that I only drive one day a week I won't put it up until the lanes have actually been converted over and I have to drive up.
mpatoka View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpatoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 10:20am
Of the few times it has come up in conversation, the drivers already had or were aware they needed it but that's a very small number. A few of my coworkers picked theirs up this week. Most of them would drive SOV before/after HOV hours so I think they are planning on picking up slugs now.

I think the casual drivers that don't drive or slug most days may not be aware they need the Flex. There was an article in the paper last week that said only 1/3 of survey respondents knew that it will now be HOV/HOT 24-hours a day and that the "free ride non-HOV" hours will no longer be in existance.
abdd8pd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abdd8pd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 5:24pm
Beginning July 1st 2015, users who have not used their Flex transponder for HOV transactions on Express Lanes for any prior six month period will be required to exchange their Flex transponder for a standard transponder (at no cost) or be subject to a one-time transponder functionality upgrade fee of $10. This only applies to transponders issued after October 1st 2014. (From https://www.ezpassva.com/EZPages/Get-Flex.aspx).
snlfam View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snlfam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 10:33am
quote:
Originally posted by abdd8pd

Beginning July 1st 2015, users who have not used their Flex transponder for HOV transactions on Express Lanes for any prior six month period will be required to exchange their Flex transponder for a standard transponder (at no cost) or be subject to a one-time transponder functionality upgrade fee of $10. This only applies to transponders issued after October 1st 2014. (From https://www.ezpassva.com/EZPages/Get-Flex.aspx).

Why in the world would they charge people for having a Flex Transponder? It they have a Flex and use it only for tolls, doesn't that benefit the company? Or what I am more worried about is my wife who has a Flex transponder (there are always more than 3 people in her minivan) but rarely travels on I-95. She still had to pay the $35 to get the device...
On the flip side, this may encourage more people to pick up slugs... at least once every 6 months.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 9:33am
I have two EZPass Flexes. The one for our minivan may not see action every six months, so I set a calendar reminder to switch passes and use that one in my car at least once every six months. No biggie.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2014 at 10:55am
quote:
Originally posted by snlfam
Why in the world would they charge people for having a Flex Transponder? It they have a Flex and use it only for tolls, doesn't that benefit the company? Or what I am more worried about is my wife who has a Flex transponder (there are always more than 3 people in her minivan) but rarely travels on I-95. She still had to pay the $35 to get the device...
On the flip side, this may encourage more people to pick up slugs... at least once every 6 months.

"Benefit the company"? I assume you mean Transurban? No, if you have an E-ZPass Flex and use it solely for tolls, presumably a lot of your driving is on roads other than the I-95 and I-495 express lanes. That toll revenue doesn't go to Transurban.

Remember that both the E-ZPass (regular device) and the E-ZPass Flex are issued by VDOT (or Maryland). Other toll agencies issue the standard E-ZPass, but only Virginia and Maryland issue the Flex. Transurban doesn't issue the device. It costs VDOT more to purchase the Flex devices than it does to purchase the standard devices, so if people aren't using the Flex for the intended purpose of carpooling, VDOT apparently wants to recoup the extra cost.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic