Print Page | Close Window

Another New Slug Question

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=972
Printed Date: 05 Oct 2024 at 7:26pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Another New Slug Question
Posted By: Stuck2
Subject: Another New Slug Question
Date Posted: 14 May 2004 at 2:52pm
Would you mind if my daughter who attends a school near my work rides in the AM/PM? I know some people have problems with children but if they don't blast music, scream etc. and are generally polite....

Replies:
Posted By: JiggaJynx
Date Posted: 14 May 2004 at 3:07pm
I wouldn't mind at all. It's wonderful that you are setting the example that ridesharing is better than driving solo. She'll certainly notice that the "regular lanes" are not getting anywhere fast (at least most of the time and by comparison). Good for you!

Posted By: Arbo
Date Posted: 14 May 2004 at 3:50pm
Stuck2 - If you're a driver, that shouldn't be a problem. I'm a slug and there have been several times I've ridden with the driver's child (normally, the child is in back in a child's sit and I'm up front).

However, if you're a slug and she will be slugging with you, it may be a problem IF she still needs to ride in a car seat. If she doesn't, I don't see any problem. I've seen several twosomes that slug together.

Posted By: emancilla
Date Posted: 14 May 2004 at 4:42pm
I wouldn't mind, either.

Posted By: tlschau
Date Posted: 17 May 2004 at 12:14pm
I think it's great! I think kids are a heck of a lot more interesting and fun to be around than adults, so I would be more than happy to ride with you.

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 17 May 2004 at 2:13pm
I actually had a father/daughter combo once. I think it was "take your child to work" day or something. It was kinda cool. Poor thing looked really nervous too. Hee-hee.

Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 17 May 2004 at 2:21pm
Mirangus, was is the father or the child who looked nervous [8)] [:D] [8)]

Posted By: glacier
Date Posted: 17 May 2004 at 5:01pm
Stuck,

You shouldn't have to ask. Don't remember seeing children being verboten in the etiquette section. Also, when were children deemed 2nd class citizens? I bet your child is probably better behaved that more than a few adult slugs.

It's pretty simple, if slugs are bothered they can hit the next car. If the driver minds, not sure why they would, you hit the next car. Either way you can spend the drive educating your child about ignorant people.

Cheers,

Glacier

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 8:46am
I've seen several parent/child combos slugging. I think its probably more common during summer months when some kids have interships or summer jobs in the vicinity of their parents. I've never heard or seen any driver turn down a child. I agree, it's great to see kids taking on responsibility nowadays, especially slugging, working etc.

Posted By: USA
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 1:02pm
So I'm curious......if a driver pulls up and has his kid in the front seat (assuming the kid is big enough--let's say a teenager--or assuming the car doesn't have air bags to endanger the kid), how many sluggers would be offended at having to ride in the back seat in favor of someone's kid?

I'm just curious, I don't have kids.

Posted By: cin
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 1:39pm
My teenage son worked in DC last summer. He had a ride most of the time, but on occasion he didn't. For the life of me, I could not talk him into slugging. He still finds it hard to believe I do it. I even offered to go along with him one day so he could see how easy and safe it really is. His response: "No way Mom!!" So if parents can get their kids to slug, then I hope the drivers have no problem picking them up!!

Posted By: Stuck2
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 2:51pm
THanks for the responses. As for USA, I think that if you treat the child in the front seat as a viable passenger you should feel annoyed sitting in back seat (as long as it's clean[:D]).

I'm a hybrid owner and do plan to commute HOV-3 after the summer. Hey, I totally accept knowing the exemption will be over shortly and do my part.

I last filled my tank before Mother's Day and man, the prices climbed! Shock! That's the down side to not filling your tank as often -- sticker shock when the prices rise in 2 weeks.[xx(]

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 19 May 2004 at 3:12pm
VA Slugger-the daughter seemed a little nervous. But I started talking to the dad and then the daughter piped in a few questions about the slugging thing (questions about the driver's perspective, I think dad was mainly a passenger). She seemed to relax as te trip went on and I felt pretty good because she got out of the car looking slightly more educated. It was pretty cool. I would have no problem transporting kids. Even little ones as long as their parent was with them. That may seem like a "no DUH" statement, but you never know!!

Posted By: JiggaJynx
Date Posted: 20 May 2004 at 10:27am
quote:
Originally posted by USA
[br]So I'm curious......if a driver pulls up and has his kid in the front seat (assuming the kid is big enough--let's say a teenager--or assuming the car doesn't have air bags to endanger the kid), how many sluggers would be offended at having to ride in the back seat in favor of someone's kid?

No offense here. I prefer to sit in the back, provided the front seat is not pushed all the way to the rear and then leaned back. That has happened twice when I rode with a parent-"child" (interpret "child" as sullen teen) duo. But the lack of rear leg room is another topic.

Posted By: tlschau
Date Posted: 20 May 2004 at 2:05pm
quote:
Originally posted by JiggaJynx
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by USA
[br]So I'm curious......if a driver pulls up and has his kid in the front seat (assuming the kid is big enough--let's say a teenager--or assuming the car doesn't have air bags to endanger the kid), how many sluggers would be offended at having to ride in the back seat in favor of someone's kid?

No offense here. I prefer to sit in the back, provided the front seat is not pushed all the way to the rear and then leaned back. That has happened twice when I rode with a parent-"child" (interpret "child" as sullen teen) duo. But the lack of rear leg room is another topic.

I'm with you on this one. I prefer the back seat too. There is usually more room (depending on the vehicle) and you not as likely to get involved in a conversation with a really talkative driver (another topic entirely).

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 20 May 2004 at 4:14pm
quote:
Originally posted by USA

Oh no! It doesn't matter. Get in and ride. If it's the driver's kid, then there is nothing left to say or do. I wouldn't feel offended at all.[:o)]

Posted By: glacier
Date Posted: 21 May 2004 at 9:52am
I'm with vabig and tlschau: get in and ride. Not sure why anyone would be offended.

Cheers,

Glacier

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net