Print Page | Close Window

New Slug Driver Questions

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=961
Printed Date: 07 Sep 2024 at 10:29pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Slug Driver Questions
Posted By: Sean
Subject: New Slug Driver Questions
Date Posted: 11 May 2004 at 11:11am
Hello, I recently started a new job in Roslyn and live in Montclair (Dumfries VA). I have never picked up slugs before, but would like to give it a try. I have a couple questions:

1) I have a 2 door Neon. The back seat fits one person ok, but getting in and out can be a minor pain. Would picking up slugs in a 2 door be frowned upon or not allowed?

2) What is the best way to get to Roslyn from 395 HOV? They Key Bridge exit? or is there another better way?

3) Would I scare slugs if I ask for direction assistance on my first day?

4) Is it common to drop off slugs at the designated location where they are picked up in the afternoon? I only ask because the pickup line looks inconvenient in the morning.

Thanks
-Sean

Replies:
Date Posted: 11 May 2004 at 12:07pm
RoadRunner, thanks for the reply.
I've re-read my question #4 and realized how confusing it is. Let me try to rephrase: For Roslyn: Must I drop off at the sign/pick up point? I know it is common practice to do so, but the pickup point in Roslyn (though great for pick ups in the afternoon) is inconcenient in the morning. I'd be happy to do what is required. I am just checking to see if there is some sort of unwritten drop of rule for Roslyn. :)

Thanks again.

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 11 May 2004 at 3:10pm
quote:
Originally posted by Sean
[br]Hello, I recently started a new job in Roslyn and live in Montclair (Dumfries VA). I have never picked up slugs before, but would like to give it a try. I have a couple questions:

1) I have a 2 door Neon. The back seat fits one person ok, but getting in and out can be a minor pain. Would picking up slugs in a 2 door be frowned upon or not allowed?

2) What is the best way to get to Roslyn from 395 HOV? They Key Bridge exit? or is there another better way?

3) Would I scare slugs if I ask for direction assistance on my first day?

4) Is it common to drop off slugs at the designated location where they are picked up in the afternoon? I only ask because the pickup line looks inconvenient in the morning.

Thanks
-Sean

Here's my thoughts:

1) Slugs know that they have the option of passing your car if they don't think they'll be comfortable riding in it. That's the beauty of this system, free will. If it makes you feel better, I've seen a lot of slugs climb into 2 door vehicles. Also, if you poke around this site, you probably won't find too many gripes about 2 door vehicles, just trucks, as mentioned before.

2) 395 North to the Memorial Bridge exit. Merge onto that road that you'll come to (forgive me, I don't remember the name) and get all the way to the right. Take your next right exit (Pentagon north parking). At the bottom of the ramp, continue heading to the right, this will put you straight onto Route 110. Route 110 takes you straight into Rosslyn via Wilson Blvd. Go straight through the next two lights and make your next right. That's where the drop off point is.

3) Don't feel silly for that. The only reason I could give you the above directions is because one of my passengers hooked me up one time.

4) Again, free will. I may pick up for 17 in the morning, but drop off at Mine Road in the afternoons. Conversely, I may drop off in Rosslyn, but pick up at the Pentagon later.

Hope this helps.

Date Posted: 11 May 2004 at 3:14pm
Thanks so much for your answers. Hopefully I can pick up slugs tomorrow morning.

Thanks
-Sean

Posted By: emancilla
Date Posted: 11 May 2004 at 3:15pm
Mirangus, nicely done.

Posted By: JiggaJynx
Date Posted: 12 May 2004 at 8:27am
Just to be clear about the drop-off point, drivers usually drop off riders at the Rosslyn Metro. You'll probably be stopping in Rosslyn, but some drivers continue up Wilson to their jobs, and riders may opt to stay in the car to get closer to where they work (1500 Wilson, Courthouse, Ballston). If you work, say, near 1500 Wilson, you can ask your riders if they want to be dropped at the Metro or farther up Wilson (such as the Safeway).

Date Posted: 12 May 2004 at 11:12am
I got to the Honer slug lot at 7:20 this morning. There was a line of about 15-20 cars and no slugs. Is this normal for the 7' hour? I'm sure I'd have better success going earlier.

Thanks
-Sean

Posted By: pb1974
Date Posted: 12 May 2004 at 12:07pm
Sean, that's about the time I get there every day, and unfortunately, Horner is extremely unpredictable. Some days at that time, there are 30 slugs waiting in line. Some days, as you experienced, there are only drivers and no slugs. You may have better luck if you go earlier, but that lot is very touch and go.

quote:
Originally posted by Sean
[br]I got to the Honer slug lot at 7:20 this morning. There was a line of about 15-20 cars and no slugs. Is this normal for the 7' hour? I'm sure I'd have better success going earlier.

Thanks
-Sean

Posted By: Mrs.KLB
Date Posted: 12 May 2004 at 3:09pm
I used to pick up in a little 2 door ford focus for awhile and if there where any complaints they didn't complain to me, actually most people could not believe how much roomy it was inside. [:)] and besides when it's 15 degrees or a sweltering 100 degrees outside people tend to chuck their complaints to the side.

As for asking directions, I don't think anyone would mind it beats getting lost!

As for directions to Rosslyn I think you have plenty, don't want to get you confussed [:D]

Mrs. B

Posted By: mallslug
Date Posted: 12 May 2004 at 8:49pm
Asking your slugs for directions is no problem, we're happy to help.

The customary drop off point in Rosslyn is on Moore St. across from the Metro station. Dropping off at alternate locations if your slugs are going somewhere else (further up Wilson) is fine as long as you ask. Expecting to be dropped off at the Metro and getting an unexpected ride three or four blocks further is not a good way to start the day.

Karen

Posted By: maxibphd
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2004 at 11:01am
Where is the slug pick up point in Roslyn in the evenings?

MaxiB

Posted By: jc9
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2004 at 11:24am
I used to drive to Rosslyn in the mornings and almost never had trouble picking up slugs from the 234 commuter lot. I picked up b/w 6-6:30am but I think the line is pretty active for most of the morning. I know from experience how aggrevating it is to go to Horner or further north in the am...try 234 and see if you like it!

Posted By: AF Fam
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2004 at 12:14pm
The slug pickup for Woodbridge and points south is right behind the building at 1995 North Moore Street. There are two lines. The one closest to the traffic light is for Stafford and points south. The one slightly up the hill is for Horner's/Tackett's/PM. I have been able to get a ride as late as 5:45 PM.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net