Print Page | Close Window

Asking a car if they will take a 3rd person

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=653
Printed Date: 26 Jun 2024 at 8:37am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Asking a car if they will take a 3rd person
Posted By: salsita
Subject: Asking a car if they will take a 3rd person
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 9:24am
I was in line today waiting for a ride to 14th street. One car came up and already had someone in the car and picked up 1 person. No one ahead asked if they would take a 3rd. Another car came, going in that direction, had one person and one slug got in. Still, no one asked if they would take a third, so I yelled and asked (I was about the 6th person in line) they said yes so I got in the car. As I was getting in the car 2 people said they would have taken that car. But they didn't ask. I know we are all trying to get to work so I feel that you need to ask. I doubt everyone wants to ask if a car will take a third for others espically if it's in the direction they are going. Just wanted to know if i was being rude or not, cause if so I won't ask anymore!

Replies:
Posted By: tulipgirl67
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 10:58am
I am afraid you were rude, although not intentionally so. You can ask if the driver will take a third person. If he says, Yes, then the next person in line going to that destination gets in the car--not the person who asked if he would take a third.

You still get what you want-a faster moving line. Plus, those ahead of you don't feel (justifiably so) that you cut the line.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 11:28am
ok, thanks for the reply. I just got irriatated that no one was asking and it had to take someone from the back of the line to get things goin.

Posted By: Tall6969
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 11:51am
Aaaahhh, this was a good question. I've been participating in slugging for a year and a half now and I've only taken on a 3rd rider 2 times. No one ever asks. And those 2 occassions someone asked.

Is it the unspoken rule that drivers only take the minimum HOV 3?

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 11:54am
Oops, I failed to mention that I don't think she was rude knowingly or unknowingly. If one will not open their mouth to ask why should they benefit from the "work" of someone else going out on a limb and asking put it? Since she asked she should ride. The assumption being that since the other people did not ask there must some reason for it.

Posted By: Gomez
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 12:11pm
This is an interesting twist on slug etiquette that has been discussed several times in the past - sometimes with pretty heated comments. As a driver AND rider, I see that the "3rd rider" question ought to really be situational. On the one hand, obviously the driver has the say on how his car is used. If he wants only two, so be it, although - if I have the room, I usually will take a third, and would think it appropriate for others to consider. Usually, I do this only if there is a HUGE logjam of riders, extremely bad weather, or it's 5:57 PM and the HOV restrictions are about to lift.

HOWEVER, if taking a third deprives another driver of an opportunity for a rider, I would not accept nor request it.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 12:23pm
Well after I asked I saw that there were 2 others waiting for the same destination. I understand what you mean by the drivers but I was just looking from a slug point of view. I don't want to babysit other sluggers by asking for them if the driver will take a 3rd person. Some drivers, once there are 3 people in their car they will leave but you don't know if they will take another person if you don't ask.

Posted By: RW
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 1:55pm
I don't think asking a driver to take a third rider is appropriate. If a driver wants to take three then they should specify three, otherwise, on many occasions, you put the driver in the akward position of saying "no" or making them get out to re-arrange their whole car to accept a third rider. Although many drivers will take three, it is very annoying to hear a slug from the back of the line yell "Ask them if they will take three!!". I have been slugging for over five years and have seen some very rude people doing this.

RW

Posted By: Rosemary
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 2:29pm
I will ask on the way home (especially if the line is long) if a driver will take a third because they are only making one stop. They almost always do. I do not ask in the morning since it most likely means three stops for the driver. I think it does put the driver in an awkward position when they clearly indicate "two to wherever" and someone in the back yells "take a third?"

Posted By: Rosemary
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 2:30pm
I will ask on the way home (especially if the line is long) if a driver will take a third because they are only making one stop. They almost always do. I do not ask in the morning since it most likely means three stops for the driver. I think it does put the driver in an awkward position when they clearly indicate "two to wherever" and someone in the back yells "take a third?"

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2003 at 3:00pm
I've seen plenty of people ask and the drivers never had a problem. If they didn't want to take a 3rd they would just say no. No offense taken to the slug. The line was very slow, so I figured I would ask. Not trying to be rude at all. Just trying to get to work like everyone else. This topic wasn't my initial question. But it's good to here other opinions. :) Also, if the driver does indicate 2, I will not ask. They are clearly stating that they will only take 2. I will only ask if they pulled up with someone in the car already and are only picking up one person.

Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2003 at 3:44am
Salsita, I don't feel asking is rude if that's what you want. But, don't be surprised when a negative reply is given. I personally do not ask a driver to take a third. I follow their leade when they initially pull up to the line...they will let you know what they prefer. Cheers! [;)]

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2003 at 3:57pm
I agree with Tulipgirl67 in that the next person in line should be the third passenger in an accomodating vehicle, but I also think that Salsita was not trying to be rude. Taking slug etiquette to its literal sense means that tulipgirl's situation would have been the correct one in that case. I know I have stood in a slug line many a time and wanted to do the exact same thing!! From a driver's perspective, I know that the question to take a third can give me a big guilt trip. For my second job, I carry a lot of equipment in the back of my Explorer and have no other place to go with my backpack (I'm a part time student, too) except the third seat. If I can take a third, I usually call for a third. If I can't, I obviously won't, but feel really guilty having to say no. As a driver, I kind of wish it could just be the driver's call and no one would ask, so that I wouldn't have to say no, but as a slug, I know how it feels to want to ask!!

Posted By: tdar20
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2003 at 8:52am
You were not rude at all! People need to speak up if they are next in line. You can't think for them and if they do not move then too bad for them.

Posted By: viper
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2003 at 11:59am
"Ye have not because ye ask not!" No problem with asking the question as long as you do it politely, taking into consideration many of the situations mentioned above.
The asker should accept the response just as politely.

Posted By: sancochojoe
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2003 at 8:17am
What ever the driver wants, point blank.

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2003 at 8:27am
quote:
Originally posted by sancochojoe
[br]What ever the driver wants, point blank.

Exactly Sancho, the driver should specify the number of riders that they wish to take when they arrive. Many times drivers are willing to take a third (including myself), but why put them in the awkward position of saying no? I guess the key here is if you are going to ask the driver to take a third, do your best not to come across too pushy. We are all just trying to get along and get to work in an efficient economical manner.

rw

Posted By: Macey
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2003 at 12:12pm
I agree 100%. You make a lot of sense because you are looking at the big picture and what is good for the slugging system as a whole. Unfortunately, not everyone looks at the big picture, only what is good for them as individuals, and because this is a no rules system, we have to go with what the individual driver wants. (Just wanted to let you know that I think about your statement - superior thinking!)

quote:
Originally posted by n/a
[br]The key here is if the slug line is long for the sluggers, then it is OK to take the 3rd, but if the line is not long and it is not close to 1800 (6:00 PM), then riders should not triple up. But if line is long, they ought to move it along and drivers should help, if able because if sluggers get stuck, then they are less likely to slug and that means less riders and less flexability in the future. At Roslyn there are days with a very long line of sluggers and days with a very long line of cars.

Posted By: GeeseAreGood
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2003 at 1:22pm
Our Admin here is a Nazi and a censor. Keeps deleting my names, I guess the Nazi thinks I am a threat to the "Power", someone always protecting their marbles.

In any case, yup, driver should always refuse the third for any or no reason if they do not want to take an extra rider. No one should look at them mean or even try to talk them into a third if they have said no, but do not be offended if you are ask. It should be OK to ask and OK to say no. If only sex were that simple.

quote:
Originally posted by RW
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by sancochojoe
[br]What ever the driver wants, point blank.

Exactly Sancho, the driver should specify the number of riders that they wish to take when they arrive. Many times drivers are willing to take a third (including myself), but why put them in the awkward position of saying no? I guess the key here is if you are going to ask the driver to take a third, do your best not to come across too pushy. We are all just trying to get along and get to work in an efficient economical manner.

rw

Posted By: C. Lam
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2003 at 5:14pm
I always refuse the third. That person would have to sit behind me and I'm really not comfortable with that. You have to be very cautious of the peolpe that you pick up now of days. It's not like it use to be in the old days.

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2003 at 10:31am
Huh?!?! Did I miss something? Have there been any negative incidents in the Slug world that I have not heard about? What is this good old days stuff? I've never heard, experienced, seen, or read about sluging becoming the Isreli Arab war you make the current slugging environment out to be.

quote:
Originally posted by C. Lam
[br]I always refuse the third. That person would have to sit behind me and I'm really not comfortable with that. You have to be very cautious of the peolpe that you pick up now of days. It's not like it use to be in the old days.

Posted By: jjmahoney
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2003 at 1:30pm
I used to take 3 all the time, when I had a bigger car. My current car (a Nissan Sentra) just doesn't have any room in the seat behind me. I know that riders are more than happy to squeeze in with my seat almost all the way back, but it's uncomfortable to me to have someone's knees pushing in the back of my seat. The last time I took a 3rd person in the Sentra, the woman asked me if I could move my seat up. I said "not really, but I'll try". It was the most uncomfortable drive I've ever had. If it was a day like to today, I would have been miserable (and a guy asked if I could take 3, but I said no). My car is just too small. I usually put my backpack and lunch bag on the seat behind me (mainly because my trunk is packed full of stuff). And it's not that I don't want to help people. But having a 5 speed is hard enough when we hit traffic. It's even worse when I have someone's knees in my back. If I had a van, I would fill it up to capacity. But that's just not the case. It's nothing person at all.

"If tricycles came with guns, we'd all be safe." Project 86 - "Little Green Men"

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2003 at 1:31pm
I almost forgot, when I had my other car, I always said "I can take 3". When people ask and I have to say no, I feel incredibly guilty. And since I can't give them the whole explanation of why I can't take 3, I almost wish they just wouldn't ask. I don't want them to feel like I'm rejecting them or anything.

"If tricycles came with guns, we'd all be safe." Project 86 - "Little Green Men"

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2003 at 10:39am
quote:
Originally posted by jjmahoney
[br]I almost forgot, when I had my other car, I always said "I can take 3". When people ask and I have to say no, I feel incredibly guilty. And since I can't give them the whole explanation of why I can't take 3, I almost wish they just wouldn't ask. I don't want them to feel like I'm rejecting them or anything.

I totally feel your pain, I completely feel the same way when I drive!! But it also stinks when you're slugging and you start getting that "I might be left behind" anxiety. Then you can't help but ask!![:I]

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2003 at 8:10am
Never fails...this morning at 610 a lady pulled up in a compact vehicle going to Rosslyn. She asked for two riders when a very aggresive person from the line yelled if she would take three. Being put in the position to feel guilty about not taking a third she proceeded to exit her car and rearrange her whole care so that a third person could squeeze in behind her. She had to move a baby seat among many other things and squeeze them into her hatchback. Bless her heart for going out of her way to make room for a third person however, it took her over five minutes to rearrange her car while many other Rosslyn cars came by picking up riders. Also, five minutes is a long time to block the front of the line in a very fast moving 610 line. Obviouisly this lady was not expecting to a third rider but was put in the awkward position of saying no. So, my point is, don't ask the driver if they will take a third, wait for the driver to ask for a third therefore signifying that the driver is prepared to take three, otherwise we are running the risk of putting the driver in the awkward position of saying no. On the other hand, if time is running short, then you have to do what you have to do to get home. Just an observation.

rw

Posted By: Hurrytooth
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2003 at 10:40am
If someone wanted to take 3 people, they'd say they wanted three people. Some people can be awfully pushy when receiving free rides. When I'm getting into a car and someone in the line is telling me to ask the driver if they'll take another person, I ignore them. If they don't like that, then we can fight.

Posted By: NoNo
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2003 at 12:18pm
I am not comfortable asking a driver to take a third person. Its simple. If I am a rider, its the driver's perogative to take 1, 3 or twelve riders.

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2003 at 2:33pm
From what i've seen, not many of the drivers say how many they will take....

Posted By: gt1318
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2003 at 3:02pm
As a driver I don't ask to take a third but am willing to when asked. I don't know what the dynamics of the line is that particular day, if there are alot of riders going to my destination and not a lot of drivers. So ask on.

Posted By: SKCRAB
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2003 at 12:48pm
As a driver, I think a rider asking if a driver will take a third is fine, but there should be no guilt on the driver's part or rage on the riders part about a "no" answer. It would also be preferrable if the asker looked in the back seat before asking to determine if it is even feasable, without inconvenience.

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2003 at 1:55pm
quote:
Originally posted by SKCRAB
[br]It would also be preferrable if the asker looked in the back seat before asking to determine if it is even feasable, without inconvenience.

Exactly! That's my biggest complaint. I try to put my stuff in the seat behind me hoping people won't ask. I've even had big printers from work sitting there and someone STILL ASKS ME! As if I'm going to take the five minutes to get out of the car, rearrange my jam packed trunk and move a printer out of my backseat (where it's easier to get at anyway compared to in and out of the trunk). Just don't ask if the seat behind the driver has stuff on it. As I said in a previous message, when I had a bigger car last year, I always left both seats in the back open and ALWAYS took 3, even when no one asked. New car is just too small with my seat as far back as it is.

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2003 at 2:57pm
It is important to remember that by taking a third rider one is depriving another driver of that slug, so the driver needs to determine whether conditions really merit depriving the next driver. (number of waiting slugs, HOV hours, etc.). Riders can do this math to befoer they ask for a ride (but I know as a rider, it is hard to turn down a ride, for the good of the slug line) And remember that it could be you waiting on 14th Street for a rider or two to walk up. Slugging is an art, not a science, so the day-to-day commute always varies, you just hae to go with the flow. . . [8)]

Posted By: argentinian_belle
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2003 at 11:54am
I think that if a person asks if the car will take a third then that person should be the one to ride. Many times i have asked and as i'm about to get in the car an angry person in front of me will say "well, then it's my ride"... if he/she wanted to go home so badly then he/she should have asked.

Posted By: mroyal
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2003 at 12:03pm
quote:
Originally posted by argentinian_belle
[br]I think that if a person asks if the car will take a third then that person should be the one to ride. Many times i have asked and as i'm about to get in the car an angry person in front of me will say "well, then it's my ride"... if he/she wanted to go home so badly then he/she should have asked.

I think you will find yourself in the minority of that opinion. You will find yourself challenged very quickly in the line I frequent.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Posted By: JeanB.
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2003 at 12:56pm
Argentinian belle's post reminded me of another 'entitled' slug that I was in line with at the old Rosslyn line, right across the street from the Metro station. It was always very noisy there, buses, traffic, etc., and it was often very difficult to hear what destination was being called out at the front of the line. Sometimes even people ahead of you in line may not have heard the destination, so they may have been a little slow in responding by leaving the line and walking to the car. The 'gentleman' in front of me stated quite frankly that if people don't move fast enough, he just jumps ahead and takes that ride. I commented, "That's something to be real proud of." Don't know if he heard me, didn't really care.

JeanB.

Posted By: mycroftt
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2003 at 1:34pm
quote:
Originally posted by argentinian_belle

I think that if a person asks if the car will take a third then that person should be the one to ride. Many times i have asked and as i'm about to get in the car an angry person in front of me will say "well, then it's my ride"... if he/she wanted to go home so badly then he/she should have asked.

I must say that this is one of the most rude and arrogant statements I have read in these forums. There is only one thing that determines who gets the next ride and that is who got to the line first. Nerviness, rudeness, arrogance, acuity of hearing or eyesight, fleetness of foot - none of these factors determine who gets the next ride - the only thing that counts is who got to the line first. I would think that if YOU wanted to go home so badly you would have gotten to the line sooner.

Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2003 at 2:06pm
Mycroftt...Bravo, well said regarding "getting" to the line first. [:D] Attitudes like the one commented on will surely lead to one thing [?], impatience and highly charged situations. [B)] It'll only be a matter of time before the two clash.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2003 at 3:01pm
I get in line when i get there, i wont leave early from home or work just to get in front of a moron who doesn't have the guts to ask if the driver will take a third. And it's not like I don't wait for someone else to ask first, I do know how to wait my turn, but I am not about to waste my time.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2003 at 3:20pm
I think it has been firmly established here that anybody in line can ask where a car is going (especially when there is a putz in front who just stands there when there is a line of cars), but you ask in order to get the line moving, so your turn will come quicker, not because you are entitled to the next ride.

However, while there are putzes, there are also those that have more knowledge because they are situated at the front of the line and can see that a car does not have room for one more and THAT is why they haven't asked.

As a driver, I am always happy to see people keeping the line moving!! But hate to see line rivalry.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2003 at 3:24pm
quote:
Originally posted by Tall6969
[br]Oops, I failed to mention that I don't think she was rude knowingly or unknowingly. If one will not open their mouth to ask why should they benefit from the "work" of someone else going out on a limb and asking put it? Since she asked she should ride. The assumption being that since the other people did not ask there must some reason for it.

This is what I'm trying to say, and I'm being attacked by it. And let me add to my earlier message, that just because I think this, doesn't mean that I actually "cut" in line, I do let the person in front of me go (if anybody is there).

Posted By: viper
Date Posted: 20 Nov 2003 at 2:49pm

"BEEP..BEEP..BEEP" Watch out, AB is backing up!!![;)]

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2003 at 3:14pm
quote:
Originally posted by viper
[br]
"BEEP..BEEP..BEEP" Watch out, AB is backing up!!![;)]

I don't get it.

Posted By: gregory
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 9:39am
I think that every driver should take as many riders as their car can comfortably sit (some cars are just too small). In addition, I think the driver should specify that he/she has room for three or only two. I also think that if you are a driver, and you are asking these nice riders to share your car, in order for you to get into work sooner, that you should make room, (put your stuff in the trunk) before pulling up to the line. As a driver, I usually try to make all back seats available. Now for the rider… I think that every rider should ask how many (and report it to the line loud enough). I think the first rider getting in should assume to move over to allow anyone else to get in. I don’t like the riders who get into my minivan and assume I’m only taking one, (especially when I take four). It is the caller’s “duty” to ask the driver of destination and number of riders and report it to the line. As a rider, I too think it’s frustrating to watch a car pull away with a roomy, empty back seat. I agree with SKCRAB, slugging is an art. I like that, I think I’ll add it as my signature.[^]

Posted By: mroyal
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 12:56pm
I disagree with gregory on this one. Carrying more than the required number should be the exception, not the rule.
1. More weight/usage = more wear and tear
2. More riders (often) = more stops
3. More riders may cause a wait for drivers behind you.
4. More riders increase the probability of problems.

The exceptions which should be considered are:

1. Long slug line, short driver line.
2. Inclement weather.
3. Female would be left alone in line.

There are probably others, but are enough to consider.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2003 at 1:24pm
Yes, I disagree with Gregory too.

Posted By: MarieA
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2004 at 8:43am
As a driver and someone who has to pick up a toddler from daycare a few days a week when I get home, I almost always have a carseat in the back, placed behind me to make it easier for people. So, I usually can't take a third, but when I haven't had the carseat I am more than happy to take a third person. In fact, if there is a long line of people and few cars, I am more than happy (if I don't have the carseat). I think that if there is few drivers on a given day, please ask, especially when it is cold out. I know that I would be more than happy to take an extra person whenever I am able.

Posted By: Joma
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2004 at 9:59am
Also to respond to Gregory's statement about drivers, quite a few past posts from drivers have stated that THEY prefer to be the ones to determine how many and that they resent the riders asking. So, there you go...can't please everyone.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2004 at 12:52pm
The drivers may resent asking, but it is OK to ask most of the time if one of the circumstances are present such as a long line of slugs, bad weather, or a lady at the end of the line that would be left. Obviously, if there is a baby seat or a lot of junk in the third spot, then the driver should not ask.

If someone ask and the driver feels turned off by being asked, they have a remedy, do not allow the third to ride, or kick everyone out and drive in the regular lanes.

To the driver, if we ask, just say yes or no, but we will try not to ask unless one of the exceptions are present. If you say no OK. If you do not like us asking, then screw you.

GeeseAreGood

quote:
Originally posted by Joma
[br]they resent the riders asking.

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2004 at 3:20pm
I'm sure Gregory is only joking with his post. Drivers are in control and should take only as many as they desire.

Posted By: marcelhenryg
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2004 at 3:55pm
riders should not ask to take a third person. usually, if a driver wants to take more than 2 people, he or she will make it clear more than 2 can be accommodated. drivers often take 3 to keep from being "hated" by the slugs, and they should not be put in that position. ESPECIALLY if there is a child seat in the car; do not ask drivers to move them; they are a pain to put in and out each time. just be patient third rider, you're ride will come!

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2004 at 8:38am
We generally only ask if you will take a third when the line is very long and we are short of cars. When there is a movement of cars and slugs, putting a third in a car may cheat another driver of a slug, however, when we are short of cars and getting close to 6:00, patientce will only put you in traffic or leave you without a ride.

Feel free to say no, that is OK, but it is OK to ask. As I have stated, we should not ask if there is a rug rat seat in the back seat or one side of the back is coverd with beer cans and liquor bottles.

quote:
Originally posted by marcelhenryg
[br]riders should not ask to take a third person. just be patient third rider, you're ride will come!

Posted By: CBlue
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2004 at 3:03pm
Marcel's post has me curious. Has any driver actually been asked to move a child seat? Unbelievable!

Posted By: bowflexguy
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2004 at 6:12pm
well if nobody is in the child seat?
quote:
Originally posted by CBlue
[br]Marcel's post has me curious. Has any driver actually been asked to move a child seat? Unbelievable!

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2004 at 7:24pm
Or, what if the third is a child? What about if they just want a ride real bad and are acting like a child?

GeeseAreGood
Senior Member!

Posted By: Bella
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2004 at 9:15am
As a driver, I do not mind if someone asks if I will take a third and I usually do even if sometimes I don't want to. HOWEVER, lately it seems that drivers outnumber riders (at Bob's, though it seems a little better now) so I do not want to deprive other drivers of getting a rider, esp. on cold mornings standing in a line of 15 drivers!

Posted By: KatieM
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2004 at 11:59am
There's a lady in the afternoon line for Tackett's who, when the line is very long, will holler to the people in the front of the line to ask if the driver will take three. Most times, the drivers will take the third. She gets cheers for this from her linemates, and the line moves along much faster.

Often times, if the line is very long or the weather is bad, the drivers of larger vehicles will holler out that they can take 4 or 5. Me? I figure that the third body balances out the car weight-wise, so there's pretty much equal pressure on the tires.

What I HATE is this: I'm second in line and the driver will take three. The first person gets in the front seat. I open the door and get in the back seat. Third person stands there waiting for me to scooch over to behind the driver, rather than go around to the other side of the car. Scooching over in a heavy black wool coat with purse and tote bag is no easy feat. It happened only once -- I just close the door now. Another time, same scenario, person number three jumps ahead of me and climbs in the back seat, causing ME to have to walk around to the other side. Petty, sure, but EXTREMELY annoying when accompanied by PMS.

Posted By: RM
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2004 at 12:39pm
It's not petty. It simply speaks to the thoughtlessness of some people. It starts out with one or two acting like that, and then certain others think "Well, since others are doing it...." You know, kind of like your six year old. It's like at the Pentagon lower level in the evenings. When people get off the train, the line that starts to go up the escalator is soon bombarded by a hoard of people cutting in instead of swinging around to the back. No shame about cutting those off who are actually in line. I remember back when only a few people did that, now it is not the majority, but considerably over half the people. It's depressing to see people act like that, but heartening to see those who do not.

Posted By: mallslug
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2004 at 10:14pm
I wholeheartedly agree with many of the posts here, that if there is a long line of cars waiting for riders, they should only take two. Earlier this week at Potomac Mills, there was a line of about 6 cars waiting for riders. I got in the first one, sat in the back seat, and waited for about 3 or 4 minutes until the next passengers approached. Two women who were obviously together approached the car and asked the driver if he would take both of them (the line of cars was about 10 at this point). The driver got out of the car to move stuff from the back seat so he could accomodate both women. We took off for Rosslyn and the women didn't speak to each other the whole way up 95/395, keeping quiet as good slugs should. When we arrived in Rosslyn, one woman went one way, and the other went the opposite direction, shouting "I'll call you" as she walked away. Now, why would have been so difficult for one of those women to have ridden in the next car in line at Potomac? They caused another driver to lose a rider, our driver to waste time rearranging the back seat, and me to arrive at work in a bad mood.

Karen

Posted By: Juli
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2004 at 9:17am
I usually only take 3 in the morning and if there is no other cars behind me. I am always asked and yes I'll move the booster seat because I always think it's pretty important that people get to work on time. Now coming home is a different story, there is always cars waiting so I'm never asked to take 3. I probably would if asked just because I hate to tell people no if I'm going where they are. God forbid there is bad weather because I'd probably offer my trunk if they were willing.

Posted By: Mrs.KLB
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2004 at 2:53pm
I am all for the slugging system, I am a driver that picks up and I don't choose to take 3 people when I pickup,I don't feel I have to explain why I don't want to take 3 people, It's hard enough on your vehicle running up and down 95 everyday and then to contribute all that body weight, tons of bags etc... that is some serious wear and tear on a vehicle. I have been slugging for almost 7 years and some of the attitudes that get in your vehicle is unbelievable, some actually give you the attitude like this is our car. The vehicle I drive belongs to Mr and Mrs. B, not to the slugging system [:)].For the most part the majority of rider I pickup are used to riding with me and they appreciate the nice comfortable clean safe ride they receive.

Mrs. B

Posted By: thirdbag
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2004 at 3:22pm
As a slug and occasional driver here is my take.

I think it is the responsibility of the first person in line on behalf of all those following to ask if a third is a possibility, if there is obviously more slugs than cars.

If there are two cars queued up to pick up slugs and only three in line taking all three would be rude, take the minimum.

As a driver I have occasionally been pondering other things when picking up slugs and always welcome a third with a long line, but unless someone reminds me I often forget to mention it.

So bottom line, if the first in line is courteous, and there are many slugs in line, I think it is not only appropriate but considerate. IF the driver only wants to take two it is still their right. But if never hurts to ask politely. And as someone standing 30 back it is also appreciated. But again it should start with the Lead slug. JMHO.

thirdbag

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net