Print Page | Close Window

Where have all the Potomac Mills slugs gone?

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=624
Printed Date: 14 Sep 2024 at 6:30pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Where have all the Potomac Mills slugs gone?
Posted By: jjmahoney
Subject: Where have all the Potomac Mills slugs gone?
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 1:24pm
I'm probably spoiling the secret here, but I recently found out from a coworker that the new lot at Horner Rd. has been packed recently. I suppose most people that used to park at Potomac Mills got sick of all the Horner Rd. cars and decided to just go to Horner Rd. to get a ride. Now if I go to Horner Rd. at 7:45am or 8am, there is a huge line of people (and cars) for 18th/14th, but the line moves pretty fast and I'm on the road within 5 minutes. Whereas Potomac Mills I can wait for 30 minutes at the same time and not get a single slug (18th or 14th). Just a little tidbit of info I thought I'd pass on (if it hasn't been passed on in another thread). It's eliminated a lot of frustration for me waiting at Potomac Mills just to end up going at it alone and spending 3 hours in the car.

"My therapist says you're always making withdrawls from my Self-Esteem account to fill your Ego Balloon!" Gabe - Penny-Arcade.com

Replies:
Posted By: wdossel
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 2:50pm
Well, believe you/me, the PM slugs are definitely in force in the evening at the Pentagon as I usually end up taking three to help pare down the line...

- Will

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 3:21pm
I've heard since almost a year ago that Potomac Mills is pretty much dead at 7:45AM. I much prefer it to Horner otherwise.

Posted By: emancilla
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 3:37pm
Yes. I have noticed that Horned Road gets packed pretty quick nowadays.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 3:44pm
I almost forgot. About the huge line of cars/slugs between 7:45 to 8:00 it's not necessarily true. It depends of the day.

Posted By: swichowski
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 4:09pm
Yeah since Sept. it has been a drivers heaven at Horner. I counted over 30 people in front of me the other day waiting for a ride but the line did go pretty quick. This was at 6:50-7:15

Posted By: cdatkins
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 4:35pm
Why did everyone move from Potomac Mills to Horner Road so suddenly?

Posted By: JiggaJynx
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2003 at 5:00pm
Packed is right! I usually get to Horner very early, but I had to go in after 9:00 today. There were 0 (zero) legal slots left, and I didn't want to risk a ticket, so I ended up driving to the half-empty Tacketts lot and will leave in a bit to catch a Lake Ridge bus down there.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2003 at 11:05am
I was going to Horner until a few weeks ago.. Sure there are lots of people in line, but the 10-15 minute wait to pick them up every day got to me. Plus the cars pulling up and stealing Rosslyn riders at a constant pace doesn't help things.

I haven't waited more than 5 minutes at Potomac Mills since then.

Posted By: tlschau
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2003 at 2:05pm
Another good option, especially if you are running late, could be the old hechingers lot. I know it's a little further away, but it is in the right direction and right off of I95. The line is usually active up until the last minute, as late as 8:45 or so.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2003 at 3:58pm
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info Tlschau.

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2003 at 11:16am
My biggest problem with the Horner lot is just it's location. It's great for dropping people off on the way home. I can jump right back on 95 and zip to the Dale City exit within a minute or two (I live right off 95). But getting to the lot in the mornings is a pain. Dale Blvd. to PW Parkway on 95N is a joke. That can take 20 minutes or more some days. The best way I found this morning was Dale Blvd. to Smoketown to PWP. But that still adds 5-10 minutes just to get to the lot.

Ah well, I'm just nitpicking. It could be worse.

"My therapist says you're always making withdrawls from my Self-Esteem account to fill your Ego Balloon!" Gabe - Penny-Arcade.com

Posted By: JiggaJynx
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2003 at 2:24pm
quote:
Originally posted by jjmahoney
[br]My biggest problem with the Horner lot is just it's location.... But getting to the lot in the mornings is a pain.... The best way I found this morning was Dale Blvd. to Smoketown to PWP. But that still adds 5-10 minutes just to get to the lot.

JJMahoney,
I assume you use Gideon to go from Dale Blvd to Smoketown/Opitz. You could also try turning right from Gideon onto Opitz, then left on Telegraph to PWP. I think there are fewer lights, though they may be longer lights, so your way could be just as fast. [:)]

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 11:56am
quote:
Originally posted by JiggaJynx
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by jjmahoney
[br]My biggest problem with the Horner lot is just it's location.... But getting to the lot in the mornings is a pain.... The best way I found this morning was Dale Blvd. to Smoketown to PWP. But that still adds 5-10 minutes just to get to the lot.

JJMahoney,
I assume you use Gideon to go from Dale Blvd to Smoketown/Opitz. You could also try turning right from Gideon onto Opitz, then left on Telegraph to PWP. I think there are fewer lights, though they may be longer lights, so your way could be just as fast. [:)]

Yeah, I tried that the first time. The light at Telegraph and the PWP was backed up really bad (took about 10-15 minutes to get through it). The other way seemed faster. But today there was zero traffic, so I didn't even need slugs. :)

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 2:50pm
They really screwed up that light when it was changed just a while back. Before, it was very difficult if you wanted to turn left, but now it's worse than ever no matter which way you're going from Telegraph.

Posted By: cdatkins
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 3:29pm
I usually come to Horner via Route 1 and Opitz, and I have found that turning left off of Telegraph just past Toys R Us, then going down by IKEA and turning left at the old Incredible Universe, is much faster than going all the way to Prince William on Telegraph.

Posted By: savannahr1
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2003 at 1:43pm
I despise parking at Horner and have parked at Potomac for years. Too this day Horner Road has too many vandalism problems. But I do park there from time to time and it is a time saver for sure. But Potomac Mills is only another 5 minutes away so I prefer to park there. I've been very successful getting rides up until 8:15.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net