Print Page | Close Window

Rt 17 heads up

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=595
Printed Date: 19 May 2024 at 8:44pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rt 17 heads up
Posted By: SpotsyDriver
Subject: Rt 17 heads up
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 6:58am
Just a heads up to any drivers who pick up Rt 17 riders in the afternoon at the Pentagon. I have been caught off guard twice so far by a gentleman who does not stand in the slug line ...he waits in the wings (out of sight) ...and as you pull up ...he quickly appears and gets in. The problem is that he is very large ...and cannot negotiate the seat belt. I did not appreciate the tactic he uses ...and short of being rude and asking him to get out of the car ...I gave him the ride. In the future ...I think I will avoid the Rt 17 line ...and opt for the Rt 610 or Rt 630 riders.

Replies:
Posted By: waterelf
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 9:24am
What time do you usually see this person? If those of us in line know to look for this person, we may be able to "remind" him of the "rules" of slugging. There are few enough drivers at the Pentagon for Route 17. I'd hate to lose another just because of some rude individual.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 10:50am
Thanks for the response. He is usually there from 3PM to 3:30PM. I also think he needs to review the slug etiquette rules on this site about seatbelt usgae. If he cannot fit into a standard seatbelt ...maybe he should think about an alternative means of commuting ...rather than put drivers and himself at risk.

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 11:51am
quote:
Originally posted by SpotsyDriver
[br]Just a heads up to any drivers who pick up Rt 17 riders in the afternoon at the Pentagon. I have been caught off guard twice so far by a gentleman who does not stand in the slug line ...he waits in the wings (out of sight) ...and as you pull up ...he quickly appears and gets in. The problem is that he is very large ...and cannot negotiate the seat belt. I did not appreciate the tactic he uses ...and short of being rude and asking him to get out of the car ...I gave him the ride. In the future ...I think I will avoid the Rt 17 line ...and opt for the Rt 610 or Rt 630 riders.

Where specifically does he wait?? Where does he hide? Does he cut others off in line?

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 12:55pm
I am not sure where he waits ...and do not believe he has cut of any others in the line ... I believe he waits for an opening and quickly comes up to the car ...opens the door and gets in ... not really asking for permission ....he just assumes it is ok.

Posted By: USA
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2003 at 4:39pm
Regarding seat belts, note that the PASSENGER is responsible and is the one to get the ticket, NOT the driver. Some cops think otherwise and may try to ticket the driver, but that ticket should be dismissed in court because the law makes the driver responsible only for front-seat passengers between the ages of four and sixteen. (I won this one once.) Of course, the only way to get a seat-belt ticket is to be doing something else to warrant being pulled over......

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 03 Sep 2003 at 8:04am
USA,
You are probably correct about the law(I don't have any experience with it). SpotsyDriver may have been referring to the fact that an unrestrained passenger is a risk in the event of a crash, and not even thinking about a ticket.

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2003 at 10:28am
Thanks for the comments from USA and MDC ....and yes I am not concerned about getting a ticket for an unrestrained driver ...only concerned about that individual's safety in the event of an accident ...and also the risk that it causes others in the vehicle. I think the lesson I take away from all of this ...is that I will have to politely decline to give a ride to anyone who cannot buckle up ... no matter the reason for not being able. Thanks.

Posted By: SJS
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 9:29am
quote:
[br]Just a heads up to any drivers who pick up Rt 17 riders in the afternoon at the Pentagon. I have been caught off guard twice so far by a gentleman who does not stand in the slug line ...he waits in the wings (out of sight) ...and as you pull up ...he quickly appears and gets in. The problem is that he is very large ...and cannot negotiate the seat belt. I did not appreciate the tactic he uses ...and short of being rude and asking him to get out of the car ...I gave him the ride. In the future ...I think I will avoid the Rt 17 line ...and opt for the Rt 610 or Rt 630 riders.

Posted By: SJS
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 10:15am
quote:

I am familar with the gentleman you are talking about and he does in fact follow slug-line etiquette and although he sometimes reserves his place in line and then leans against the concrete barriers, he is not hiding as you suggest. He also routinely passes on rides that he does not think will accommodate his size. It is certainly the perogative of the driver as to who they will or will not pick up but hopefully this is not a case of discrimination due to his size. He is a very nice man. Route 17 certainly needs all the drivers we can get, so please speak up if you do not want to give him a ride. I have witnessed some drivers doing this and he has gotten out of their cars without hesitation or animosity.

Posted By: tdar20
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 10:37am
I also have waited outside the line at times. However it is because I am riding with a close friend and she picks me up before the slug line. Dont want to make anyone mad, just ride with the person that lives near my house and get into the car before she gets to the slug pick up point.

Posted By: RM
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2003 at 11:45am
I'm glad to hear the other side of situations. It a good reminder that things are not always as we perceive them.

Posted By: kwright
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 12:10pm
quote:

Posted By: kwright
Date Posted: 16 Oct 2003 at 12:14pm
I have been caugt off guard twice as well by this gentleman. He is nice, but the first time he got in my front seat, he did not buckle the seat belt, but he was so big, I could not see out my side mirror and he could barely get out of my SUV. The second time he got in the back seat, again, he had a hard time getting out. I do not want to be rude, but I really do not want to pick him up, can I deny him a ride, even though he is the first in line? I feel uncomfortable because he cannot put a seat belt on and he blocks my view of traffic. New slug driver
quote:
Originally posted by kwright
[br]
quote:

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net