Print Page | Close Window

Getting out of DC on July 4th Weekend

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4706
Printed Date: 05 Oct 2024 at 9:19pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Getting out of DC on July 4th Weekend
Posted By: sparkletoni
Subject: Getting out of DC on July 4th Weekend
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 10:26am
I will be slugging out on Friday and didn't know if the lines die down quicker since it will be a holiday weekend. I will be coming off 19th St and may be out of work around 3.

Anybody know how traffice is on holiday weekends out of DC?

Replies:
Posted By: go2grl
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 3:06pm
Where are you heading? I live down in Stafford and traffic is pretty bad the Friday before a holiday weekend on southbound 95. I always take the Friday off if I have a choice.

Posted By: mpatoka
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2010 at 3:40pm
Yep, I live in Stafford also and the Friday before a 3-day weekend is murder getting down I-95 (just like this past Friday was). While many people try to take that day off and some offices start releasing their folks early, there will be those that have to slug or drive after 3pm so you shouldn't have too much of a problem getting a ride, at least from the Pentagon. I don't know the behavior of the DC lines.

Posted By: Connelly30
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 8:28am
"Anybody know how traffice is on holiday weekends out of DC?" - That's funny!! If you have not experienced going 95s the Friday before the 4th, you are in for a treat. Think evacuation route for a hurricane. Seriously, could take you up to two hours to get to Stafford in rush hour.

Would suggest going to the Pentagon. You'll be fine, but be ready for a long ride.

Posted By: Paula
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 2:46pm
2 hours to Stafford on a summer Friday afternoon? It can take you 2 hours to get past the HOV merge, whether you're in the main lines or HOV!! Consider yourself lucky if you can get to Stafford in 2 hours.

My first year living south, I made the mistake of going to DC the Friday before Memorial Day. It took us 5 hours to get to Fredericksburg! From that day forth, I refuse to go into the office on Fridays. If I absolutely must go, I take the train.

Posted By: goober
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 2:56pm
If it's Friday, typically, the Pentagon to Horner Road/Potomac Mills is okay for slugs and drivers might have to wait around for a while for slugs. Although I've seen the situation reversed a few time in the recent past.

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 3:21pm
Well, you'll be able to slug no problem, but the ride home is going to most likely be a loooong one.

I'm hoping to take the bus home at 3:30, then whenever I get home, turn around and head north....its going to be a LONG Friday!

Posted By: blacksky
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 10:13pm
Slug in that a.m. Catch the VRE home to Stafford...have a family member or friend pick you up at the station to get to your car. Get a taxi from VRE if you have to, all of the above methods will save you hours of frustration that will start THURSDAY night.

Posted By: CJ
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 11:49am
Forget Thursday night, I was just on 95 North and 95 Southbound was already backed up for miles at 11am...

CJ

Posted By: sparkletoni
Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 12:23pm
I will be coming off 19th St and going to Potomac Mills or Horner lot.

quote:
Originally posted by sparkletoni

I will be slugging out on Friday and didn't know if the lines die down quicker since it will be a holiday weekend. I will be coming off 19th St and may be out of work around 3.

Anybody know how traffice is on holiday weekends out of DC?

Posted By: LDOMAJ
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 10:38am
Took the train for Friday... took me 3+ hours to get hom Thursday night.[:(]

quote:
Originally posted by CJ

Forget Thursday night, I was just on 95 North and 95 Southbound was already backed up for miles at 11am...

CJ

Posted By: VAwitch
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 11:07am
Good luck.

Apparently VDOT in their "wisdom" - decided to lift the HOV restriction - at NOON.

So rather than slugging from WNY (dead), or hopping on dad's Harley @ CC via shuttle...

I'll putter down 95 in a A/C bus...

Posted By: VAwitch
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 11:38am
quote:
Originally posted by VAwitch

Good luck.

Apparently VDOT in their "wisdom" - decided to lift the HOV restriction - at NOON.

So rather than slugging from WNY (dead), or hopping on dad's Harley @ CC via shuttle...

I'll putter down 95 in a A/C bus...

My bad - Looks like it might only be Richmond/VA beach...

But it's gonna be packed either way. Been asking for slugride for past 2 hrs, no bites.

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 10:49am
traffic home in the PM to 610 wasnt too different than any other summer Friday...

got in my car at 8:30 going northbound...no traffic whatsoever the whole trip...sweet weekend!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net