Print Page | Close Window

Appeal for change...

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3903
Printed Date: 23 Jun 2024 at 2:48pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Appeal for change...
Posted By: lsbrkmn
Subject: Appeal for change...
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 11:36am
APPEAL FOR CHANGE…

I have participated in the slugging and driving to DC since 1996, and I have seen a lot of changes since then. Unfortunately, due to my job relocating to an area in DC where there is no metro stations, I usually drive. But, I am concerned about the lack of compassion slugs have for drivers, especially in these poor economic times.

Because of our poor economy, I have cut down on my driving considerably, making sure my tires are filled properly and keep the weight low in my car. I have heard this saves on gas. This means I only take two riders, unless the weather is very bad, then I will take one more. However, I have gotten some flack about this practice from riders.

I find it disturbing that some people who can afford to buy luxury cars and dress in expensive suits complaining about anything, when someone who can afford much less is driving them for free.
I realize everyone has their own economic challenges, but most are only concerned about only their own issues without regard for the drivers.

I had one man ride in my car and complain that my car was not a good quality brand. He said “What do you expect, it’s only a ---------“, tipping me off that he had a more expensive car. This was confirmed when I dropped him off at the commuter lot and saw him walk to his Mercedes. It bothered me that he could afford to buy that car, but needed to get a free ride from someone like me who struggles to make ends meet.

Another man rode with me and said he could not afford to drive to work everyday because he had a very large truck that used a lot of gas and a motor home. I asked him if he would consider getting rid of those vehicles so he could afford to drive. He said he thought he could get rid of the motor home. My point is that most of us are very pampered and cannot afford things because we are not living within our means. If they changed their living standards, they could afford to drive some days and even donate a couple dollars to the drivers.

To fill you in on my own situation, I have gone through some personal challenges within the last few years that have affected my income and budget. I had to buy two cars within 5 years, because one was a lemon and the other was hit by a hit and run driver and was totaled right outside my house. I became a single parent and was laid off from my higher paying job. I had to find work, so found a job that pays a lot less than my previous job.

Because of this, I have decided to put a small container in my car that is labeled “gas donations”. I never ask anyone for donations. A few compassionate people have dropped in a dollar or two, for which I was very grateful. I realize this is not mandatory.

This morning was the last straw for me, as a driver. I lady got in to my car from a slug line and asked if I could take more than 2 riders. I told her “no”, unless someone can make a gas donation. I told her that the lighter the car, with less riders, the better the gas mileage. She then proceeded to give me a hard time about
mentioning the gas donation. I explained that it was not mandatory, but if I am taking more riders, it would be nice. The argument escalated and she got out of the car. Immediately, I picked up two other riders.

I no longer believe the slug lines are a mutual benefit to all. The slugs benefit much more than the drivers. Slug lines only work in Virginia, because they have been going on since the 1970’s, or so I am told. Folks in Maryland and Washington DC think it is absurd to get in a car with a stranger and that the driver gives slugs a ride for free. The advantage is mostly for the slugs, these days. The driver not only has to pay for the gas, ware and tear on their car, but also the liability if there is ever an accident.

Due to the challenging economy, I think we need to rethink this process. Donations for gas should be encouraged. I know whenever I ride as a slug, I would be happy to give the driver a dollar or two. I imagine that most of the slugs that most object to donating a couple dollars for gas, probably pay more for a cup of coffee in the morning. So, its not that most folks don’t have it. (I make coffee at work to save money.)

I would like to see the slugs and drivers work as a team or a community, not against each other. Currently,there is not enough incentive for me to keep driving in to DC. I am in the process of looking for a van pool or car pool.

Replies:
Posted By: Oxi
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 11:52am
Originally posted by lsbrkmn

APPEAL FOR CHANGE…

I think the issue of "gas donations" has been discussed more than enough on this website, and - if you read those posts - it is clear that there is no unified view. I doubt we will come to consensus this time, so I propose to just leave this issue alone.

But I would like to say a couple of things about slugs. Mind you, I have been slugging 4 days a week until this year when I started driving all the time (at least for now), so I think I have enough insights from both sides. I do notice that I get more .....hmmmmm.... not-so-polite slugs recently. Examples? I had two women in my car in the back seat taclking their heads off all the way from 14/Const to the Mixing Bowl, where I finally got tired of it and POLITELY asked them to continue their conversation after they get to the parking lot, since neither me nor the gentleman in the front seat were interested in their office gossip. Today I had someone give me hard time because I said I am taking only 2 slugs; yet, the person proceeded opening my back door and trying to get in telling me that "there is space here." And then, last week I had a lady who got on the phone as soon as I left the slug line and who stayed on the phone until she got out in DC. I am sure I am not the only one dealing with these issues, but I did not increase of "annoying" instances in the slug system.

All I am suggesting that we try to be a bit more civilized people - whether driving or slugging.. Is it too much?

Posted By: Woodbridge Mike
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 12:23pm
lsbrkmn and Oxi,

First, thank you for driving. I am sorry you have had some unappreciative and poor sluggers. I hope you remember them so you can skip them the next time they are in the front of the line. I couldn't ever imagine telling a driver that they had a bad car. The only time I see cell phone use being acceptable is if there is an accident/delay causing a brief call to the office/daycare. And taking an extra is the driver's decision alone, no bargaining.

Anyway, as Oxi said, there is not consensus on payment/donations. However, all drivers who feel like they're getting a bum deal need to take a good look at the local lanes. Time and gas savings are your compensation. You only drive sluggers because that extra 15 minutes sleep in the morning and 20 minutes time with your kids in the evening is worth picking up 1 or 2 strangers. You save gas by not idling down 95 & 66 at 10mph in the local lanes. You do get something out of the deal.

I usually slug in the morning and take commuter bus in the afternoon (virtually no one picks up sluggers after HOV opens up at 6- too early in my view). Slugging in the afternoon costs me time, thus I pay the $4 Omniride fare to get to Woodbridge sooner. Slugging in the mornings is usually a wash in terms of commute time, or else I would use the bus then, too.

lsbrkmn, I would give you one piece of advice, though. You are welcome to have a gas tip jar in your car. However, don't ask for tips, even if there's a rude slugger who wants you to take an extra. Just reply, "Only two riders. My car, my call." All decent sluggers respect that decision.

-Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Posted By: Jody
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2008 at 4:15pm
Hi lsbrkmn. DC and MD residents have it a little easier than VA residents in commuting to DC:

For some DC residents, public transportation is a quick commute to their jobs downtown (with the exception of residents who live in Southeast DC).

MD residents have a number of major routes to get into DC (New Hampshire, Connecticut, Wisconsin Avenues to name a few)

VA residents have a choice between 2 bridges to get into DC (14th St. or Memorial)

You may not like how the current slug system works, but it does benefit both drivers and riders.

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 7:41am
Here we go again ... pay or don't pay to slug -- it's become about as polarizing as other hot-button issues (gun contol, abortion, immigration, etc.)

Agree that any financial contribution from slugs should be voluntary for those who want to help out a driver, and that drivers and slugs should be considerate and polite to one another. But also think if getting no money and having to endure personally unacceptable slug traits are too unbearable for a driver in view of the reduction of commute time, the driver can simply vote with his/her car -- and NOT pick up slugs. There are commuting alternatives.

Sluggin' requires mutual respect, "give-and-take", and compromise.
If you can't, then don't!

Posted By: mycroftt
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 8:44am
Don't try to fix a system that isn't broken. Remember that when the HOT lanes come, there will be a significant financial incentive for drivers picking up slugs and the slugs might decide that they want their "tip" money back before getting in your car.

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2008 at 1:17pm
WoodbridgeMike- I totally agree with you. I too slug in the AM, and bus in the PM. Unlucky for me, only Martz goes to Stafford and beyond, so bus tickets are about 18 dollars each way.

lsbrkmn- I understand your frustration. I too get angry when I see Hummers, Oversized pickups, and my total fave- brand new Corvette's parked at the commuter lot. Seriously- you can afford THAT car but not to drive once in a while? Really?

Slugging started as a free system, it should stay a free system.

FYI- My husband and I both commute to DC FT to afford our modest townhome, our ONE car we just finished paying off, and FT daycare. I do not live outside my means, and WILL NOT tip a driver- EVER.

BTW- I say good morning, thank you, and am always quiet in cars.

Slug'n till 2013 (when the HOT lanes roll in)

Posted By: blacksky
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2008 at 12:13am
quote:
Originally posted by Oxi

APPEAL FOR CHANGE…

I think the issue of "gas donations" has been discussed more than enough on this website, and - if you read those posts - it is clear that there is no unified view. I doubt we will come to consensus this time, so I propose to just leave this issue alone.

But I would like to say a couple of things about slugs. Mind you, I have been slugging 4 days a week until this year when I started driving all the time (at least for now), so I think I have enough insights from both sides. I do notice that I get more .....hmmmmm.... not-so-polite slugs recently. Examples? I had two women in my car in the back seat taclking their heads off all the way from 14/Const to the Mixing Bowl, where I finally got tired of it and POLITELY asked them to continue their conversation after they get to the parking lot, since neither me nor the gentleman in the front seat were interested in their office gossip. Today I had someone give me hard time because I said I am taking only 2 slugs; yet, the person proceeded opening my back door and trying to get in telling me that "there is space here." And then, last week I had a lady who got on the phone as soon as I left the slug line and who stayed on the phone until she got out in DC. I am sure I am not the only one dealing with these issues, but I did not increase of "annoying" instances in the slug system.

All I am suggesting that we try to be a bit more civilized people - whether driving or slugging.. Is it too much?

Oxi,

I have told people to turn off the phone in my vehicle. Bottom line is that I do not want to listen to them (loudly or quietly) yakking on the phone. It distracts me from safely driving. I will grant an exception if they ask and it is important...but catching up on gossip is a no-go in my book.

As for gas-donations, I see it as purely voluntary. It is a symbiotic relationship. Slug gets to work relatively quickly w/o using mass transit, driver gets to work quickly w/o utilizing mainlines. Both know what they're getting into when they pick-up/get in. Donations are NOT required nor should anyone feel compelled to contribute.

Posted By: NoSUV
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 1:33pm
It is NOT a symbiotic relationship for the third slug. Seems like drivers have every right to charge for the extra - and if no one wants to pay, then the driver only takes 2.

Posted By: Oxi
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 2:57pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV

It is NOT a symbiotic relationship for the third slug. Seems like drivers have every right to charge for the extra - and if no one wants to pay, then the driver only takes 2.

Personally, I would not go that far. :-) But would definitely appreciate no comments on my decision not to take the 3rd slug.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 2:01pm
quote:

APPEAL FOR CHANGE…

I have participated in the slugging and driving to DC since 1996, and I have seen a lot of changes since then. Unfortunately, due to my job relocating to an area in DC where there is no metro stations, I usually drive. But, I am concerned about the lack of compassion slugs have for drivers, especially in these poor economic times.

Because of our poor economy, I have cut down on my driving considerably, making sure my tires are filled properly and keep the weight low in my car. I have heard this saves on gas. This means I only take two riders, unless the weather is very bad, then I will take one more. However, I have gotten some flack about this practice from riders.

I find it disturbing that some people who can afford to buy luxury cars and dress in expensive suits complaining about anything, when someone who can afford much less is driving them for free.
I realize everyone has their own economic challenges, but most are only concerned about only their own issues without regard for the drivers.

I had one man ride in my car and complain that my car was not a good quality brand. He said “What do you expect, it’s only a ---------“, tipping me off that he had a more expensive car. This was confirmed when I dropped him off at the commuter lot and saw him walk to his Mercedes. It bothered me that he could afford to buy that car, but needed to get a free ride from someone like me who struggles to make ends meet.

Another man rode with me and said he could not afford to drive to work everyday because he had a very large truck that used a lot of gas and a motor home. I asked him if he would consider getting rid of those vehicles so he could afford to drive. He said he thought he could get rid of the motor home. My point is that most of us are very pampered and cannot afford things because we are not living within our means. If they changed their living standards, they could afford to drive some days and even donate a couple dollars to the drivers.

To fill you in on my own situation, I have gone through some personal challenges within the last few years that have affected my income and budget. I had to buy two cars within 5 years, because one was a lemon and the other was hit by a hit and run driver and was totaled right outside my house. I became a single parent and was laid off from my higher paying job. I had to find work, so found a job that pays a lot less than my previous job.

Because of this, I have decided to put a small container in my car that is labeled “gas donations”. I never ask anyone for donations. A few compassionate people have dropped in a dollar or two, for which I was very grateful. I realize this is not mandatory.

This morning was the last straw for me, as a driver. I lady got in to my car from a slug line and asked if I could take more than 2 riders. I told her “no”, unless someone can make a gas donation. I told her that the lighter the car, with less riders, the better the gas mileage. She then proceeded to give me a hard time about
mentioning the gas donation. I explained that it was not mandatory, but if I am taking more riders, it would be nice. The argument escalated and she got out of the car. Immediately, I picked up two other riders.

I no longer believe the slug lines are a mutual benefit to all. The slugs benefit much more than the drivers. Slug lines only work in Virginia, because they have been going on since the 1970’s, or so I am told. Folks in Maryland and Washington DC think it is absurd to get in a car with a stranger and that the driver gives slugs a ride for free. The advantage is mostly for the slugs, these days. The driver not only has to pay for the gas, ware and tear on their car, but also the liability if there is ever an accident.

Due to the challenging economy, I think we need to rethink this process. Donations for gas should be encouraged. I know whenever I ride as a slug, I would be happy to give the driver a dollar or two. I imagine that most of the slugs that most object to donating a couple dollars for gas, probably pay more for a cup of coffee in the morning. So, its not that most folks don’t have it. (I make coffee at work to save money.)

I would like to see the slugs and drivers work as a team or a community, not against each other. Currently,there is not enough incentive for me to keep driving in to DC. I am in the process of looking for a van pool or car pool.

Date Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 2:31pm
A Failing System...

To answer one slugs post - I don't think the system works well anymore, at all. I pick up slugs less than even last year due to various problems I have had.

This system is a failing one and change is needed. Most drivers I speak to do agree with me too. They just go along with it, because no one wants to be the first to change the system. But, once in a while when I do drive, I put a donation can out so maybe some considerate slugs donate.

If this web site posted "donations appreciated" on their home page, many slugs might contribute. That would be nice and very much appreciated by all the drivers. A couple dollars donation is less than a cup of coffee, a bus or the metro.

Another issue I have with the failing system is the drivers liability for unknown riders. I had a situation as a driver a few years ago. I very heavy lady (over 300 lbs.) rode with me for several months as a slugger. She worked in an office close to mine in DC.

After a couple months, I noticed my back wheel was wobbling. I brought the car in to my mechanic. He asked me if I had been transporting heavy equipment in the back seat or trunk. I told him about my regular slugger. He asked if I had driven by any construction sites or pot holes with her in the car. I said yes I thought so, since there are many of both in DC. He said my rear axal had fractured and had to be replaced, due to the constant excessive weight in the back seat.

I told the woman about it and that I could no longer give her a ride. I never accused her of breaking the axal, and could have taken her to court to pay for the damages, but I didn't. It upset me that I was libel for the damages and she got to ride in my car for free for 2 months.

I don't think slugs remember that the drivers have to pay for damages that slugs incur, while in their car.

Also over a period of time, my inside door panels have came loose due to riders slamming the doors shut. I ask them not to do it, but it is sometimes too late. I have to pay for those repairs too.

Both of these problems would have never happened if I did not pick up slugs.

The current system only works for the slugs. Yes, I could take the regular Rt.95 route, or alternative routes, which I have done more lately. I would rather drive alone without damages and rude people, or people who think life is a free ride.

Why do you think more people are slugging and less driving? It is because of the price of gas and the economy. Why not help the drivers out, a little? We could make a change for the better of the entire community - not just to benefit the slugs.

Posted By: Elemental
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 3:17pm
>>The current system only works for the slugs.<<

I have to object to this statement and I am primarily a driver. Gas prices are up, the economy is down, so drivers may be feeling the financial pinch more these days. Don't forget that the riders are sacrificing their time to participate in this system. From what I've seen the lines are getting longer & longer = more wait time for the riders.

Posted By: mdog
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 5:11pm
lsbrkmn, while I understand your concern and frustration, I can't help but object some of your points. The impact of having an extra rider is so minimal to a car mileage, especially on highways, that this argument is laughable. So is the "fractured axel" story. You car is designed to carry much more than a 300lb woman (yikes!), so unless you car is in a crappy condition - and this includes bad shocks,- multiplied by your bad driving technique, that mastodont lady is not at fault.

And keep in mind, as soon as money is involved, in riders eyes you become responsible for any troubles - see the other topic where someone wants to go after driver's insurance.

Posted By: colossus911
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 3:14pm
>A Failing Syste<

Absurd!!! Listen, this system is perfect as is and anyone who is so greedy to think that they aren't getting a benefit needs to recount their blessings.

Just as a reminder, and by no means a complete list...

Slugs benefit by saving driving costs, wear and tear, and parking costs. They sacrafice having a car at work, actually getting to their job (working at 4th and B while getting out at 7th and D), and occasionaly risking getting stuck in town when working late.

Drivers get to skip an hour of traffic (AT LEAST, some skip 2) and have their car at work in case of emergency. They sacrafice once in town driving a couple of blocks out of the way to drop people off and the occasional stinky/rude/talkative slugs.

What drivers dont sacrafice, gas milage! Any driver who believes that they would save on gas by traveling at 15 mph in the main lanes vs carrying two people at 65 in the HOV lands has no idea about how the car works.

My two and a half bits.

PS I drive.

Posted By: 122582
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 10:44am
Two for free, three for ten dollars.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!

Posted By: Springfield slug
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 11:52am
When drivers start leaving out tip jars is when I discontinue slugging.

Posted By: DBL R
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 9:39pm
When all else fails, go back to basics. Like a friend of mine said....if you aint drivin' then you aint $itchin'. I have been slugging since 2001. Assume a total car load of 3 unless the driver offers up for more. It is his/her car, get in, sit down, and shut up and ride.

Thanks for the drivers and riders.

Riley

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 8:40am
quote:

APPEAL FOR CHANGE…

...If they changed their living standards, they could afford to drive some days and even donate a couple dollars to the drivers.

...Because of this, I have decided to put a small container in my car that is labeled “gas donations”...

This morning was the last straw for me, as a driver. I lady got in to my car from a slug line and asked if I could take more than 2 riders. I told her “no”, unless someone can make a gas donation.

I no longer believe the slug lines are a mutual benefit to all...The advantage is mostly for the slugs, these days.

Due to the challenging economy, I think we need to rethink this process. Donations for gas should be encouraged.

...Currently,there is not enough incentive for me to keep driving in to DC. I am in the process of looking for a van pool or car pool.

lsbrkmn, thanks for your commentary on my lifestyle. I appreciate you solving my standard of living problems with your advice that I need to scale down my car to make your life easier!?

Its also refreshing to hear someone who obviously has it all figured out about what is fair and beneficial for all other slug drivers and riders! You certainly have some keen insights!

You and 122582 should go ahead and follow their conscience and leave tip jars in your cars. You should also remember to post signs in your windows to alert slug riders of your position on charging fees. The sign should read "NO FREE RIDES," "TAXI," or "I HATE SLUGS!"

Good luck with your vanpool (or your TAXI service)! And good riddance! We slugs don't need your selfish and greedy attitudes. Of course, when you start charging fees for rides, you're not slugging anymore, are you!?

I know slugging is not a perfect system, but it is far better than the fee-based system you suggest. A better suggestion is for slug riders to take their fair turn driving one or two days per week. That's what I do; ride a few days and drive a few days each week and pick up slugs. Share the costs, share the burder, share the love! Now that's what slugging is all about!

Posted By: logrolls
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 3:03pm
It isn't always about the "affordability" of driving.

Hmm, let's see - TIME....PARKING AVAILABILITY....ENVIRONMENT....STRESS OF TRAFFIC

There are a lot of reasons why I sometimes slug. Money has little to do with it.

I can drive a nice car and slug at times, too. Who is anyone to judge one based on the car (s)he drives. That's what's shallow! Slugging is about personal choice - not financial status. Get over yourself and your "tip" jar. Your gas would be the same with or without slugs, but your travel time wouldn't be.

And for the record, I drive just as much as I slug.

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 3:38pm
Holy moly, 12258whatever is still around?

Slugging= beneficial to both the driver and the slug.

No money should EVER be involved, EVER.

Slug'n till 2013 (when the HOT lanes roll in)

Posted By: toomuchcoffeelady
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 4:45pm
Glad to see we can disagree on this without namecalling. [V]

I have tried, esp this summer when gas was $4+ a gallon, to give the driver a few bucks at the end of the ride. As a slug, $2-$5 (depending on what was in my wallet that day) seems like a freaking bargain compared to the other options of driving myself, VRE, or the $21 each way bus to Spotsy. After all, you don't go to dinner at someone else's house without offering to bring dessert, right?

However, the best reaction I've gotten is a "no thanks"; the worst has been apparently getting on some driver's permanent shiat list.

But OP, should I run into you, I'm happy to put some dough in your tip jar! [;)]

Posted By: pwbnd
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 10:08am
Now that gas is back well below $2 a gallon, I think drivers should start paying slugs $1 per ride. Heck it's only a dollar, right?

[:D]

Posted By: CJ
Date Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 3:29pm
Two bucks is still two bucks, I'd say drviers and slugs are back to being even.

CJ

Posted By: ybarra
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 10:35am
Or maybe when the HOT lanes come in the slugs hold up signs with payment expected to get into cars to save the tolls? Always been entreprenuial....why not now?

Posted By: bnvus
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2008 at 3:28pm
Fractured axle because of a large person? CMON...really now.

Posted By: BC018384
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 10:25am
quote:
Originally posted by bnvus

Fractured axle because of a large person? CMON...really now.

What's goofy is that he actually believed this tall tale and what's ridiculous is actually telling the person he can no longer take her.

Posted By: BIGNAT
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2008 at 3:41pm
This is what I was talking about - partly - SEE SLUG RULES

Slugs have just lost their minds!

I would never do anything but sit down and be quiet getting a free ride.

This paying for rides topic is old and it doesn't seem like it will happen.

The large women breaking your car story if funny and a little unbelieveable and mean!

BigNat

Posted By: aurorav
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 8:19am
It's the driver car, so the driver can enforce his own rules. It's the riders body, the rider can either accept it or decline it. We're all in this together, let's respect each other. [:)]

LaLa

Posted By: jadams08
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 11:27am
quote:
Originally posted by aurorav

It's the driver car, so the driver can enforce his own rules. It's the riders body, the rider can either accept it or decline it. We're all in this together, let's respect each other. [:)]

LaLa

I agree. There was this lady that I rode with...she has her rules posted on her dashboard and I think on the back of the passenger seat. I think this was a nice way of expressing your views and not having to talk directly to the slugs!

Posted By: SUVs4Me
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2008 at 1:45pm
First of all, I want to comment on the original post by Isbrkman. I would venture to guess my driving to slugging percentage is probably 95%+ driving and 5%- slugging. I work in DC and my wife works in Rosslyn (we used to both work in the same building on DC [same government agency], but I got moved to another building in Sept '05 and my wife got moved to Rosslyn [we still work for the same government agency]). We have never entertained the idea of having a "tip" jar. I think I have only had one slug offer payment (she was brand new to slugging and not sure of how it worked). I politely told her that slugging did not work that way. We have two friends in Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania that commute to DC and we will line one or both up if we plan to get in before 8 a.m. (my wife is not a morning person). I can count on one hand the number of times we or either of us have ridden with our friends, that is, most of the time we are the drivers. That is our choice. One of our friends has offered to contribute on several occasions because we do drive so much and he benefits. We always decline (though one time he and his wife [now recently deceased] did take us out to dinner one night). From our standpoint, we have always viewed this as we get the benefit of riding in the HOV lanes, getting to work quicker than if we drive the local lanes, not subjected to a Metro/van/bus full of coughing/hacking people (though we have had some slugs do this), and the convenience of having our vehicle at the ready in case of an emergency (no kids, but an 86-year-old mother-in-law living with us). The slug gets a free ride in a relatively clean car (sometimes we forget to check the backseat for a paper or bag, etc. We have other options, Martz National Coach, VRE, or we could slug ourselves. However, as I said, we drive for our convenience. I realize this is not the case for everyone. Some people have no choice but to drive.

When I have slugged, I get in, same hello/good morning, etc. and enjoy the ride. I must say, the few times that I have slugged, my SUVs look like a palace inside compared to some of the stuff I have encountered (briefcases, computer cases, crutches, empty/partially full cups, etc.). I never say anything because I am getting a free ride. I am benefitting here. I never comment about a person's vehicle, at least not verbally. I will think things.

As my user name suggests, I own an SUV, not one, not two, but three. Small, medium, and large. Though the small one, the oldest with the most miles (almost 200k) is for sale, very cheap. When we pull up to a slug line in the medium/mid-size, we will take two slugs, not just one. When we drive the large/full-size, we will take three or four slugs, not just one. In both instances, it is assumed that the numbers are there. If there is only one slug, we take 'em and go. It is our understanding that we are keeping in the spirit of slugging; moving people. Trust me, when you take the extra one, or two, or three, they are very appreciative, especially when it is 25 degrees and windy, or it is 98 degrees and humid. Trust me, any slug riding with us is treated to a well heated vehicle in the winter and a well air-conditioned vehicle in the summer. Please don't take that to me that we want our slugs well done when we get to F'burg/Spotsy in the winter or frozen in the summer. It means we are treating slugs to a comfortable ride. We even offer tissues for those with the sniffles (my wife has allergies and asthma, so we always have tissues in the car).

I am not saying any of this because I think we are better than anyone else. My wife and I both have good jobs, and we have a nice house. Perhaps, we just have a different perspective.

Posted By: go2grl
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 12:04pm
quote:

Both of these problems would have never happened if I did not pick up slugs.

I think you have found your own resolution. If it is not working for you, don't do it anymore. As for me, I'm grateful for the rides I get as a slugger and for the slugs I get as a driver.

Posted By: Jlynn
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 1:50pm
I told the woman about it and that I could no longer give her a ride. I never accused her of breaking the axal, and could have taken her to court to pay for the damages, but I didn't. It upset me that I was libel for the damages and she got to ride in my car for free for 2 months.

This is so absurd and laughable all rolled into one. You really think you could have TAKEN THIS WOMEN TO COURT when you are the one offering free carpool rides? Wow. You are obviously the kind of person where if someone owes you $20.01, you expect $20.01 as a $20 bill just wouldn't settle your debt.

I agree with everyone else who has suggested you either drive by your lonesome self or try and start a paid car pool. If times are so rough and you need to ask slugs for donations, maybe it is time to switch your roles and become a rider as opposed to a driver. This will save you money each week, but I'm sure you are well aware of this since you like to hand out financial advice to your riders.

Also? I totally empathize with the drivers who deal with crappy ass slugs out there who slam doors, talk on the phone, don't say hello/thank you. etc. However, that being said not all slugs are terrible people. I think I would say there are a few bad apples in the bunch who are obviously experts at being rude, but it certainly is NOT the majority. I am a slug, and ALWAYS make myself aware of everything I do when entering, riding in, and exiting a vehicle.

Posted By: BurkeBound
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2009 at 7:46pm
This is so easily solved. As a driver make it clear before anyone gets in your car that you want a donation for X amount. If your riders agree to it, fine. If they don't you'll just have to wait around until you find some riders that agree to your terms.

Just be aware! I'll be the driver at the end of the line that says, "If you come with me, you can ride for free."

Posted By: Uhura38
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 8:49am
Pay money to slug?

Absolutely not.

The slug's "payment" is the driver getting where he / she is going a whole lot faster.

It's a symbiotic relationship.

Live long and prosper

Posted By: Uhura38
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2009 at 8:51am
quote:
Originally posted by BurkeBound

This is so easily solved. As a driver make it clear before anyone gets in your car that you want a donation for X amount. If your riders agree to it, fine. If they don't you'll just have to wait around until you find some riders that agree to your terms.

Just be aware! I'll be the driver at the end of the line that says, "If you come with me, you can ride for free."

I hear that - LOL!

And I would bypass the money grubbers to get to your car!

Are you a mom?
Join www.OurmomSpot.net!

Posted By: Jerry Senfield
Date Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 10:23am
So why did the car I was in run out of gas on the freeway?

I like getting a free ride from and to work, but how can we help the driver?
Buy he/she cookies? Install an extra gas tank in their vehicle? Free movie passes?

Posted By: Pele
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 11:50am
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Senfield

So why did the car I was in run out of gas on the freeway?

I like getting a free ride from and to work, but how can we help the driver?
Buy he/she cookies? Install an extra gas tank in their vehicle? Free movie passes?

How many drivers have picked you up and IMMEDIATELY taken that two bucks you gave them and topped off the tank.

Had you given them money, you would've ran out anyway.

Had they gone and got fuel prior to picking you up, or better yet, days before, you would've gotten home regardless if you gave them money or not.

Payment for the ride is not directly related to you getting home or not.

Clearly, that driver ran out of fuel because they were an idiot. There's this thing on most vehicles... It's in the dashboard. You take a look at it from time to time to tell you when to send half your wallet to the Middle East...

There are several gauges which you can use. One being the obvious fuel gauge... Failing that, the odometer. If it's been around three hundred miles since you last filled it up, odds are, it's about time...

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 12:06pm
Wow ...
If you get only 300 miles on each full tank, your car either has a small gas tank or is getting terrible gas mileage. [:0]
Many cars today can go about 400 to 450 miles on a full tank which typically holds about 16 gallons (That's about 25 to 28 mpg). [:)]

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 2:49pm
That's right "Pete" he probably would have ran out anyway, but I bet he couldn't trade cookies for gas...unless it was Santa working the pump.
The point is correct, pay attention to the stupid gauges. I can understand sitting in line waiting with the engine running because it's cold out but at least fill up during the day after you finish watch judge judy.

Posted By: sluglord
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 2:54pm
One time I was sitting in the car with the driver awaiting fellow sluggers and the ran out of gas, he said well i gues your walking.
I ran out of the car and jumped on the hood causing the car to start back up.
he later tried to charge me 100 dollars for the damaged hood.
just kidding i did get out and help him push the car away from the line and he DID try to charge me for waisting his gas.

I agree with Pele, even if I did give him money, whose to say that he wouldn't have immediatly gone to the liquor store before driving us slugs to our deaths.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 2:56pm
Nice fabrication.
I certainlly hope no drivers are drinking before taking us home.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 3:23pm

WOW! was she the reason the axle broke? What did she do, tie a chain to a tree before you drove off, that's a good one!
A driver once tried to get me to pay for the coffee he spilled. He had it balancing on his knee while driving and since I was the last slug he dropped off, i guess i was to blame.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 3:25pm
Hey Jlynn that's pretty funny. Remember the driver that slammed the slugs fingers in the door and then called the police accusing her of battery on his vehicle?

Posted By: BabblinB
Date Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 3:35pm
Thats crazy I've never had a driver run out of gas on me. But I had a guy that constantly ran red lights. One time he even said "That one was pink!" I think he could read the terror in my eyes.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 3:51pm
I've definitely had some wild rides but it means so much to not have to drive in myself. These drivers are helping me so I keep my trap shut usually.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 3:53pm
Yeah, hybrids suck you can only fit two -three and it's cramped my GOD the heat! Turn down the damn heat in those things!
it's too hot it's too cold, you are sitting on my hat...why'd you take it off?....you're stepping on my new shoes...well why did you wear your new shoes to work?
theres a noise in the trunk....your face is a trunk.
stop squishing my leg...
can i please get out now? you should have went at work...you spilled my drink!
Driver: Slugs aren't allowed drinks in my car damn it!

Yeah hybrids suck.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 4:04pm
ok...you sure you haven't been drinkin' today?

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 4:11pm
Is anyone else scared besides me?

Babblin B I think I know of the traffic violator you speek of, is he kind of danty with white hair and glasses? Talks very particular?
If so, He turned right on a red light once and didn't even glance to his left to see if it was clear. Thank god there was no lady pushing a buggy that day.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 4:14pm
sluglord-Who the heck are you talking to?
I think you are in the wrong posting. Try pscytsophrenic .com

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 4:47pm
That could be the guy, JS. He had a New Englander maybe Boston accent. Real Brash. Drove a little grey mercedes.

I was pleasantly surprised that he drove a Benz. I mean slugging in style right? But then it ends up being one of the most uncomfortable rides ever. I gues you can't judge a book by its cover.

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2009 at 8:07am
quote:

Another issue I have with the failing system is the drivers liability for unknown riders. I had a situation as a driver a few years ago. I very heavy lady (over 300 lbs.) rode with me for several months as a slugger. She worked in an office close to mine in DC.

After a couple months, I noticed my back wheel was wobbling. I brought the car in to my mechanic. He asked me if I had been transporting heavy equipment in the back seat or trunk. I told him about my regular slugger. He asked if I had driven by any construction sites or pot holes with her in the car. I said yes I thought so, since there are many of both in DC. He said my rear axal had fractured and had to be replaced, due to the constant excessive weight in the back seat.

Some clout to your story:
Fat woman in a Kia... Multiple alignments at the dealer and it still pulls to the left.

http://canwest.a.mms.mavenapps.net/mms/rt/1/site/canwest-globaledmonton-pub01-live/current/launch.html?maven_playerId=troubleshootermedium&maven_referralObject=3475882

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2009 at 9:53am
I think that's the same guy. Bragging about being some sort of Cheif Financial Officer for a Non for profit Company ( don't see how that works).

He a silver Lexus not a Mercedes I remember this because as we were waiting for other slugs, he says " Those seats back there are heated, let me show you" and tried to crawl in the back seat.

I insisted that I didn't need to see a demonstration. He justed did some weird seal -like laugh.

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2009 at 10:25am
Wow that is totally the same guy...beware sluggers this fella is a strange bird. It was a Lexus I remember him commenting on how a Toyota just wouldn't do.

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2009 at 10:35am
If he starts on about a job as a pool-boy, just get out of the car and run!

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2009 at 10:39am
Really who needs a pool boy in DC? I have a sister that worked in Pool management in the Northeast. She only worked a few months a year.

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2009 at 10:44am
Oh....It just dawned on me why someone would want a "pool boy," did he really ask you that?

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2009 at 12:55pm
quote:
Originally posted by BabblinB

Wow that is totally the same guy...beware sluggers this fella is a strange bird. It was a Lexus I remember him commenting on how a Toyota just wouldn't do.

I sure hope he doesn't look too closely at the parts. Many are stamped inadequate for him...

Lexus and Toyota are the same company.

Now that you mention it, I did work for a shop and someone was having a Lexus serviced... And when a Toyota delivery guy pulled up with a Toyota labeled box of parts, the customer complained that I was putting the wrong parts on the wrong car.

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2009 at 9:03am
That happens alot, I once owned a ford mustang only later to find out that it would only run on chevy gasoline.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net