Print Page | Close Window

Rolling Valley Slug Line - Call to Action!!!

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3574
Printed Date: 05 Oct 2024 at 6:54pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rolling Valley Slug Line - Call to Action!!!
Posted By: springfieldslugger
Subject: Rolling Valley Slug Line - Call to Action!!!
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 11:02am
This is a call to action for all the drivers who live close to RV slig line... PLEASE use this slug line more effectively... Don't just drive to Bob's and wait there in line to get slugs... There are plenty of us waiting in line in the RV lot.

Also, for those drivers that pick up at RV, PLEASE use the same destination for PM rides from 19&F... The waiting for RV slugs has been over 20 minutes, because 90% of drivers that stop by to pick up slugs call for Bob's destination.

Again, as a user of both lots (Backlick Rd lot and Rolling Valley lot), I found RV to be an excellent venue to park and ride!!!

Replies:
Posted By: DC2RV
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 1:18pm
Kudos for posting this and let's hope it works.

Posted By: colossus911
Date Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 1:44pm
I thought RV was Pentagon only, or am I confused?

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 1:59pm
RV is multiple destinations -L'Enfant, 14th street, 18th street, Pentagon, Crystal City, etc...

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 3:27pm
DC2RV is correct... Rolling Valley is MULTI-destination...

Can any of the moderators put this under a STICKY?, or is Bob the only one who takes care of? I want this to be upfront so that those who may not know are aware of this fact...

Thanks to those who are reading this!!!

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 8:07am
Colossus911 - why did you think Rolling Valley was Pentagon only?

And how many others - particularly Bob's drivers and slugs - think the same?

Posted By: guishermo
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 2:45pm
I think Rolling Valley rules the world, and more people should use it. If people are using Bob's because they don't know about RV, then they are missing out and they should try avoiding the crowds and traffic over at Bob's.

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 7:16am
Agree with some of the previous posts.

From my 20 years of slugging and carpooling from Burke it appears that the Rolling Valley slug line serves almost all of the major NoVa and DC morning destinations.

And there always seems to be plenty of parking. [:)]

The lot is located on Old Keene Mill Rd 4 to 5 miles west of the "Bob's" slug line location.

Posted By: Jody
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 12:55pm
Hi. I find it surprising there are riders at RV waiting for rides to DC. I would be surprised to learn that drivers were coming to Circuit City to pick up riders. I don't doubt that some RV drivers pick up Bob's riders in the evening. Perhaps they have errands to run and the RV lot is out of their way? JMO

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 1:06pm
Jody - please clarify what you find surprising regarding your first 2 sentences.

Some drivers will pick up at Bob's if there's a wait at RV - that's understandable.

Regarding the rest of your post, yes, people do run errands and can't return to RV (myself on occasion). But there are people who pick up solely for Bob's and live in Burke. I thanked one of them for "going out of the way" and she responded that she just lives around the corner from RV anyway.

Posted By: CallmeMrSlug
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 1:57pm
Rolling Valley is a very active morning slug line for a variety of reasons. It is a great line for getting to the Pentagon or to anywhere in DC. When I get to the line a little before 7 a.m., I rarely wait more than 5 minutes for a ride. I can reach my ultimate destination by taking either L'Enfant, 14th or 18th (if the driver is going far enough up these streets).

Coming home has always been somewhat of a challenge. Some drivers who pick up at RV do prefer to drop off at other locations. For example, picking up in the morning at Sydenstricker is more difficult to get on the HOV than returning there in the afternoon. And some drivers do prefer to drop off at Bob's especially if they live east of the Rolling Valley park and ride. And that is all good, drivers are entitled to make their commute easier.

I have tried several ways to return to RV in the afternoons. The Pentagon is good as there seems to be an even distribution between Sydenstricker and RV there. Also, L'Enfant is good if you can get there between 4 and 4:30, the closer to 4 the better. But it can be a 15 minute wait on occasion for a ride.

It still is quicker than driving in alone, unless you can drive in and pick up slugs from your location at least once a week. The system really works best when people contribute as both a rider and an occasional driver when they can do so. If your personal circumstances don't allow that then you have to be patient on the way home.

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 3:29pm
DC2RV - My surprise is the statement that RV riders are waiting longer for rides to/from DC than Bob's riders. I have friends who catch rides at RV and never have a problem getting to work. Their problem is the commute home. Depending on what time I arrive at Circuit City in the morning, there is either a line of cars or a line of riders. No way to predict the commuting habits of drivers on any given day. Any clearer for you?

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 6:04pm
Yes, thanks (i had to re-read the first post). My concern is solely with the PM. There are alot of ex-RV riders who have switched to Bob's due to the ride home issue, i.e., lack of drivers.

But, as someone else pointed out, it's driver prerogative. I just wonder if there are others (particularly drivers)who think RV is Pentagon only. Those are the ones who should consider RV as a viable alternative to Bob's.

(Then again, what's the use of this thread since so few slugs (bob's or RV) weigh in? There's what - 5 or 6 - of us who actively participate in these topics?)

Posted By: dudte
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2008 at 9:00pm
so DC2RV shamed me into responding...
I rode RV - 18 or 23 for 3 yrs. I now drive. I pick up from 19th & F. I always ask for 2 to RV. If 1 or none - well, Bob's it is. Occasionally I stop at both because I get I RV and have to fill w/ 1 Bob's. Seems OK to all. But my heart is with the few, the hopeful RV riders, amongst the many bob's riders. I know your pain...I was there for 3 years. but mostly I love to hear the gasps from the crowd as I pull up in my seemingly tiny Toyota Yaris. "How can he get anyone in that thing?" But the RV'ers know - climb in, stretch out in the spacious back seat, adn off we go to RV.

No, really, its much larger on the inside. No complaints yet! Maybe that's just the nature of the RV rider - glad to see someone, anyone, willing to go to RV. "Hop in - we're going home". Always seems to cheer up the RV folks. Yeah, all the way to RV.

FD guy in the little red Yaris thing...

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 8:12am
Hey Dudte - thanks for chiming in and thanks for the rides and for riding.

You also touch on something I've noticed in the 8 years I've been doing this -maybe because of the longer waits in the PM, RV slugs tend to look out for one another more.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 8:40am
Hey Jody... I think it all depends on where your stop is in DC... I've noticed that for 18 street points there are very few drivers going that way... I've waited between 10-20 minutes to get a ride to 18&H, and most of the times I get to the line before 7AM.

Of course, there's no problem with those going to L'Enfant, or Pentagon/Crystal City, or Rosslyn... there's plenty of drivers going to those destinations.

quote:
Originally posted by Jody
[br]DC2RV - My surprise is the statement that RV riders are waiting longer for rides to/from DC than Bob's riders. I have friends who catch rides at RV and never have a problem getting to work. Their problem is the commute home. Depending on what time I arrive at Circuit City in the morning, there is either a line of cars or a line of riders. No way to predict the commuting habits of drivers on any given day. Any clearer for you?

Posted By: colossus911
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 9:45am
I thought Daventry and Rolling were pentegon lots, clearly I was misguided about the Rolling lot, really don't know where I got that first impression.

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 8:29am
Hi springfieldslugger - There are plenty of cars going to 18th St. at the Circuit City Lot. If you don't mind driving down OKM, you're sure to get a ride right away for the 18th St. corridor during the school year. The exception is, of course, during the summer. A longer wait but everyone eventually gets a ride.

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 12:13pm
Known destinations for the morning slug lines are listed at
http://www.slug-lines.com/AM_Lines/Am_Slug_lines.asp .

Just click on the line that you're interested in from the choices in the left column. [:)]

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 9:57am
Jody/sluDgE: I am aware of other options I have, but I'm afraid you're missing the point... I'm trying to encourage more drivers who live further up OKM (West Springfield, Burke, etc.) to use the RV lot, both in AM & PM. I have no problem driving further down OKM, but if I go back to Bob's slug line, how many like me are doing or will do the same? Then, there will be fewer and fewer users of RV lot.

Posted By: dudte
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 10:07pm
Could use another driver or two from 19th st to Bob's and RV too.

I considered not going down 19th this evening. I was runnign late and knew the HOV would be closed long before I got there. I was surprised to find 10 or 15 people in line after 6:00. And they seemed suprised when I asked for 2 to RV!! I hope everyone else got home. Couldn't take more in my little buggy but at well after 6:15 the three of us left 19th. If you are leaving close to 6:00 you might check 19th if you can. I remember being there myself...

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 1:30pm
Hi springfieldslugger. I understand the problem, but drivers are going to go pick up riders where it is convenient for them. Is it a quick and easy access from the RV lot? The Circuit City lot is only one stop light away from the HOV access. Maybe drivers find it faster to driver there and pick up riders? Just a guess. . .

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net