Print Page | Close Window

will you take a third rider??

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2196
Printed Date: 05 May 2024 at 8:22am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: will you take a third rider??
Posted By: stafford05
Subject: will you take a third rider??
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 12:58pm
While the lines for those waiting for a ride get longer, it seems as though fewer people are asking the driver if they would take another rider. When I drive and there is a line I have always taken a full load (to include once taking three people in the back seat after 6PM at the Pentagon). It is always the driver's perogative, but all too often those at the front of the line are not asking the question. Any suggestions?

Replies:
Posted By: NoSUV
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 1:06pm
Take a third - and since there are more riders than drivers and there is no advantage to the driver, ask the third for a contribution!

Posted By: gtivr6ps
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 1:13pm
I always tend to take a third. i havent figured out why people dont like to take 3. Only reason I can think of is that they dont want to move their seat from their cumfy position. My VW can hold em...so why not.

Posted By: Luddite
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 2:05pm
Depends on your perspective. Taking a third moves the line of people faster, but the line of cars slower. Right? From a driver's perspective, taking a third increases the chances of slug malfunction by a big percentage. Snoring, cell phone talking, talking, perfume, after shave, etc.

I'll take a third if the person who asks if I'll take a third is actually the one next in line going to my destination.

Posted By: slugcarrier
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 3:05pm
I'll take a third if it is raining, snowing, exceptionally cold or hot, or if I see someone I know in line, but prefer not to normally. It does add to the wear and tear on a car if you do it regularly, and driving 70 miles round trip each day, the car gets enough wear and tear as it is.

Posted By: hotscr17
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 3:16pm
I've seen people take 5 and trust me, us slugs waiting in line for 30+ minutes thank you greatly!!!!!

Posted By: savannahr1
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 4:01pm
I've talked to some drivers and the ones who normally won't take 3 is because they don't like people sitting directly behind them for whatever reason. Guess it makes the uncomfortable.

Posted By: SlgDriver
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2005 at 4:58pm
If there is a line of cars behind me then I normally will not take the third. If I'm last, towards the end of the line, or it's late I will take a third. I have a child's car seat in the back which means if I take a third they are pushed together and one of them is on the hump so It's more for their comfort than mine.

"I'm Charlotte Taylor Wilson. I'm with the People's Independence Committee".
"Don Diego Vega. I'm with the greedy bloodsuckers." ~Zorro

Posted By: MSCUSN
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2005 at 7:34am
I will offer to take a third if I know the person. I am 6'8" and there is little room behind my seat. But I do dislike the persons who ask, then make their opinion known when you say no, as well as the ones who demand door to door service rather than the designated location (if it is inclement weather I will usually offer door to door). But with the attitude of a FEW riders I have observed, I am for HOT.

Posted By: SHIPM8S
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2005 at 1:11pm
I don't usually care to take a 3rd because I put my personal "stuff" on the seat or in the floor directly behind me and I generally don't want to have to get out of my car to move it. Also, having had to wait for long periods in the past for riders, I try to only take the required 2 unless the weather is particularly horrible. Then again, if I take 3...does that mean I'm justified in tossing one out in the mixing bowl for incessant yakking on their cell phone?[:D]

ShipM8s

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2005 at 1:20pm
If the riders start tipping, I'm sure everyone would take a third if there's room. ;) The biggest problem that I know of when taking three riders, is that the SOV hybrids tend to be more annoying than usual.

Posted By: minerdhov
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2005 at 11:19am
I drive occassionally and don't mind taking a third (and usually do)but I will say it irratates me to see these people in line fourth/fifth/sixth back, in line yelling out to the people getting in the car CAN THEY TAKE A THIRD..WILL THEY TAKE A THIRD..HEY TAKE A THIRD. Remember folks its up to the driver, if they offer, then thats great. If not...we have to wait our turn...

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2005 at 1:40pm
I still think the best way for all is to charge for the third. After all, there's no advantage to the driver - only cost - and if the slugs don't want to pay, they don't have to go.

Posted By: KCWolfPck
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2005 at 1:50pm
I don't think it would be fair to only charge the 3rd. Suppose there are people in the fornt of the too stingy to pay. That would promote buying your way up in line which wouldn't be fair.

Date Posted: 16 Sep 2005 at 2:02pm
If people if front don't want to pay, they can wait. People who would rather pay than wait, can pay. Everybody wins. Even the driver, who has no reason except the goodness of his/her heart and has to pay for the marginal wear and tear.

Posted By: emancilla
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2005 at 5:07pm
Let the drivers decide about taking a third or not. To me, it doesn't look good that someone yells "take a third?" to the driver.

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2005 at 5:51pm
Let's see if we can agree on a compromise. If the slug line is long, it is ok to politely ask for the extra rider, with absolutely no negative reaction if they decline. If the slug line is short, wait for the next car!

Posted By: BillyBackSeat
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2005 at 8:45pm
Hmm. I drive sometimes. If there are only 3 people in line I will always tell all 3 to hop in. No point taking 2 and leaving 1 person there alone. But usually 2 people hop in the car close the doors and noone bothers to ask me if a 3rd person can ride. So I drive off with 2.

Hug a slug today

Posted By: hondu
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2005 at 6:04am
Bill - I've been that driver behind you that pulls up and watches three get into your car leaving no riders for me. When the line is short I take two and leave the rest for the cars who are most likely following me. (unless it's getting too close to the 'witching' hour - after say 545p) I also stopped taking three in the am because twice I almost had my left side back door taken off by a half-asleep person exiting without looking back into traffic to see if anyone was coming.

Posted By: fryed_1
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2005 at 11:21am
I always take as many as want to fit if the lines are long.

Posted By: Rebecca22193
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2005 at 10:55am
Here is the solution: Slug line leader asks the driver, "where and how many?" Leave it up to drivers to state the number of riders they want in their cars. They know the drill (i.e., they'll say 3 if they see a long line of slugs with no cars and are not opposed to taking 3 for one reason or another). It's real simple. Drivers: if you don't want a third rider in your car because it makes you uncomfortable or you think you're saving on gas, or whatever, just say "two" when the slug leader asks. No one gets insulted this way.

Becky

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2005 at 1:20pm
Or say two - will take a 3rd for $x

Posted By: goober
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2005 at 1:38pm
URGENT: remember to attend the

Advisory Panel Meeting Agenda
Wed., September 21, 2005 -- TONIGHT
6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Prince William County
Ferlazzo Auditorium
Prince William County
15941 Donald Curtis Drive
Woodbridge, Virginia 22192

Goober

Posted By: bujee33
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 2:09pm
I find it very rude that when I pull up in the afternoon on my way home to pick up slugs that I am being asked by riders waiting in line if I can take additional slugs. If the driver pulls up with 2 fingers, that means he only wants 2 riders. Why impose on the driver to take more? The diver is fully aware how many riders he COULD take but may not want that many riders in his vehicle. I don't notice this request being made by riders in the morning. Why in the afternoon? If you can't ask a driver to turn the radio station or put the air or heat on, or even talk for that matter, why should you be allowed to ask the driver to do this? I thought the driver sets all the standards. Just wondering...

Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 2:16pm
Bujee,

I'm a driver, you're a driver. The driver does set the "standards".

If you perceive them as rude, then so be it. People aren't changed from being rude by being rude back though. I much prefer to shower those who do ride with kindness than try to pull some power trip and jerk them out of rudeness by being rude back. Your call, do as you please.

As for me, I prefer to focus on the positives in life---like---hey, it's FRIDAY! No commuting for 2 days in a row.

Enjoy your weekend and enjoy your commute.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 2:37pm
Agree. Never did I mention being rude to any rider. I just don't want to be in a position where I would appear to be rude by denying their request. As a sidenote, I have never refused when asked, but just don't think its appropriate.

Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2005 at 2:58pm
Agreed on all accounts!

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Posted By: Rosebud
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2005 at 11:01am
Well I hate to be the "sticky wicket" but here goes. When I drive, I wont take three because I am not a taxi. The only reason why I pick up slugsters is to drive in the HOV lanes. I take the minimum. I dont like strangers in my car or people who have nasty body odors. I dont like people who snore, cell phone chat or fart in my car.

Now you can see why there are so many hybrids on the HOV.

sorry slugsters. Notice I am a lot nicer than 122. At least I dont ask for tips.

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2005 at 7:18am
Bud,
You sound like a really pleasant person to be around. I hope your life is happier than it appears to be from your posting. Don't worry, be happy. .. and don't be a snobby bitch. Be nice, y'hear.

Keep on sluggin!

Posted By: SlugR
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2005 at 8:09am
As one who slugs 95% of the time and drives 5%, I agree with RB that when I drive I'm not a taxi. If the weather's bad or the line is exceptionally long I may take a third, but it's a rare exception. When I slug, I prefer the driver only take the minimum as well. Slugging is by far the the most comfortable, convenient way to get up the HOV--anyone who wants an uncomfortable ride stacked up with other passengers inside your personal space should take public transportation. Bottom line-- it's up the driver, so just wait your turn.

Posted By: mikester
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2005 at 12:21pm
I tend to agree with Rosebud. As a driver that's his choice. As a slugger I don't care if the driver takes a third or not, like Slugr says, it's driver choice. But why comment about his life sludge? We should try and keep the forum mature

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2005 at 10:13am
I'm with you Rosebud. Sludge, with 425 posts under your belt, I think that you have become alittle over the top with your messages.

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2005 at 12:30pm
jee,
Huh? Over the top? How?

To me, Bud's post seemed awfully bitchy and petty -- like the entire slugging world owes her something. Not true, it's a two-way street to help each other out. If Bud and others like her have such an entitled attitude, the old friendly slugging system will collapse on itself. Let's be positive and help each other. I think Bud is an OK person and might have just been having a bad day. Don't we all.

Keep on sluggin'!

Posted By: dicerotops
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2005 at 5:51pm
I am a driver and a rider. Perhaps its only those (with a few wonderful excpetions) who have stood in the long slug lines that feel the compassion to take a third. Yes, you don't have to, but why not? It doesn't add that much wear and tear to the car, most sluggers are extremely courteous to the rules, and it helps everyone out.

I find no inconvenience in taking a third, and actually feel I benefit because I enjoy helping others out. These lines can get long, and remember drivers as hard as you may have it, you don't have to wait half an hour in line. You don't have to worry about getting in a car with an aggressive driver. You don't have to depend on others to get you from point A to point B and worry about getting home.

Please remember that if everyone took a third, that is several less cars required, and will let those slugs who get in line late home. Charging for the third will just start the slippery slope towards the end of slugging.

Posted By: MSCUSN
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2005 at 6:22am
Diecer, wow!

I am a driver, unfortunately all the time, fortunately I do not have to pick up riders in the morning (and I am sure they would not like riding with me that early either). I do pick up a third, if they are someone I know and travel and are one of the regulars. But I have been verbally insulted (mostly under the breath, but you can hear the comments) if I do not pick up a third. I have no sympathy for riders who wait in line, they can, just like me they can drive. They can pick up riders, who sleep, talk on the phone, smell, try and negotiate door service once you are on the road, and slam your door (not frequent occurrences but even once a month is all too common). If the line is too long, become a driver, don’t gripe because the driver does not take a third. I do agree, charging the third is wrong, and if that were to happen (I wouldn’t) but there are several riders here who would ensure they were never a third, so it would be very unfair.

SOV - Gee, that hybrid is looking better every day.

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2005 at 1:40pm
Why shouldn't riders ask? Unless the driver specifies only two riders (and most will say so up front), it dosen't hurt to ask. If NO, then the thrid wannabe should back off with a smile and a "thanks anyway." No harm, no foul. Kindness is the key!

Posted By: PanaRican
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2005 at 3:18pm
quote:
Originally posted by dicerotops
[br]I am a driver and a rider. Perhaps its only those (with a few wonderful excpetions) who have stood in the long slug lines that feel the compassion to take a third. Yes, you don't have to, but why not? It doesn't add that much wear and tear to the car, most sluggers are extremely courteous to the rules, and it helps everyone out.

I find no inconvenience in taking a third, and actually feel I benefit because I enjoy helping others out. These lines can get long, and remember drivers as hard as you may have it, you don't have to wait half an hour in line. You don't have to worry about getting in a car with an aggressive driver. You don't have to depend on others to get you from point A to point B and worry about getting home.

Please remember that if everyone took a third, that is several less cars required, and will let those slugs who get in line late home. Charging for the third will just start the slippery slope towards the end of slugging.

I agree with you. I am on both sides, so when I do drive I take a third. [:D] Matter of fact, Potomac Mills riders keep a look out tonight because i'm comin'! [:X]

Posted By: dicerotops
Date Posted: 28 Sep 2005 at 6:24pm
MSCUSN, I'd drive more if parking wasn't $16 a day. I'll wait in the lines for that price. I'm very patient. The lines rarely bother me. After getting stuck in D.C. after 6pm (I got in line at the pentagon at 5:15, so it isn't as if I waited until the last minute), I have started taking off at work no later than 4:30.

Still, I am always grateful to those who do choose to take three. Even if I'm not the third, I will thank the person from the slug line because it helps all of us out. I am also very grateful to the fellow who picked me and a couple other stranded slugs up the day 6pm rolled around and we were still in line.

Its impossible to know how the lines will be in the afternoon. If people choose not to take a third, we usually shrug our shoulders and move the two people up in line. But, we are extremely grateful to those who do that good deed for the day!

So a big thanks to all those who do pick up three! We know you don't have to, and really appreciate it when you do! Yay!

Posted By: slugrider
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2005 at 1:32pm
I once fit 9 people in my ford pickup----i have no problem taking more them 5

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net