Print Page | Close Window

Maybe we should scrap the slug line...

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2151
Printed Date: 02 Jul 2024 at 5:24pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Maybe we should scrap the slug line...
Posted By: thirdbag
Subject: Maybe we should scrap the slug line...
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 8:40am
...and everyone push to get diesel cars that run on bio diesel.

That way we can all be stuck in traffic, with less emissions. Hey, maybe we can even get VDOT to approve clean fuel tags?????

I'm kidding, but this is a good read, I'd rather have a "french fry" mobile on the road than a hybrid with just a driver.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Savinganddebt/Saveonacar/P115218.asp

thirdbag

Replies:
Posted By: carleric
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 8:43am
mmmmmmmmm, french fries.
Seriously. This system has worked ridiculously well for 30+ years. Why mess with success?

Posted By: emancilla
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 9:13am
Because they see big $$$$ in something that it's been for free since then.

Posted By: Luddite
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 9:14am
Rudolph Diesel designed his engine to run on veg oil. a gallon of pure corn oil now costs as much as a gallon of diesel.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 9:18am
quote:
Originally posted by Luddite
[br]Rudolph Diesel designed his engine to run on veg oil. a gallon of pure corn oil now costs as much as a gallon of diesel.

Come on, McDonald's has to see a way of making $$$ off this... I can see it now, "I'll have a Combo #5 and 15 gallons of your french fry oil." "That will be $43.55, please pull forward and Sparky will pump your fry oil while we cook your burger."[:D][:D][:D]

thirdbag

Posted By: emancilla
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 9:23am
LOL!

Posted By: NoSUV
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 9:41am
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbag
[br Hey, maybe we can even get VDOT to approve clean fuel tags?????

I'd rather have a "french fry" mobile on the road than a hybrid with just a driver.

Anything that reduces overall demand should be considered. That's why hybrids are so great - even WITH just a driver! We need more legislation that makes the extra purchase cost of a hybrid feasible, whether it's the extension of the exemption of changing the Express (HOV) lanes to busses and hybrids only.

Posted By: Luddite
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 9:53am
McDonalds sells its waste veggie oil to pet food manufacturers. Mmmmm.

Posted By: n/a
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 10:00am
NoSUV, I am surprised that an "advanced member" like you is still a hybrid hugger. You should know that hybrids do not reduce traffic congestion, nor do they reduce our dependency on fossil fuels. They are a farce, a way for the auto manufacturers to create another product to sell, a marketing ploy built on our desire to do the right thing. Only they distract us from the real issue, we have built our society on finite resources with a planned obsolesence. Fossil fuels (remember hybrids still burn gas) are so last century! Get with the program; hydrogen, alcohol, bio diesel, solar, wind, hydro and pedal power are the fuels of the future. Renewable, plentiful, powerful.

Oh, now I get it, you are a hybrid driver! That's alright, I know you wanted to do the right thing! Just please don't try to fool us with that political rhetoric about how great hybrids are; we, the informed, know better.

Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 10:04am
"pedal power"....I like it.

Imagine if people actually created (at the grassroots demand, kind of like slugging) the demand for parking locations for bicycles to get to commuter lots by actually riding bikes to the lots.

I admire those couple folks I see walking to the Mine Road lot in the morning (even when it's humid outside like these past couple days).

Would such a movement help reduce health care costs too?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 11:25am
quote:
Originally posted by raymond
[br]NoSUV, I am surprised that an "advanced member" like you is still a hybrid hugger. You should know that hybrids do not reduce traffic congestion, nor do they reduce our dependency on fossil fuels. They are a farce, a way for the auto manufacturers to create another product to sell, a marketing ploy built on our desire to do the right thing. Only they distract us from the real issue, we have built our society on finite resources with a planned obsolesence. Fossil fuels (remember hybrids still burn gas) are so last century! Get with the program; hydrogen, alcohol, bio diesel, solar, wind, hydro and pedal power are the fuels of the future. Renewable, plentiful, powerful.

Oh, now I get it, you are a hybrid driver! That's alright, I know you wanted to do the right thing! Just please don't try to fool us with that political rhetoric about how great hybrids are; we, the informed, know better.

Raymond - doing something is better than doing nothing. Even burning gas, hybrids are better than straight internal combustion gasoline driven vehicles. It's not rhetoric - it's fact! Hybrids may not be the very best answer, but you, the somewhat informed, already know that. Go back to your cave.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 11:29am
I went on vacation out west last month and amazingly I saw ONE hybrid vehicle, in a city with no HOV. I thought you know that's a pretty good idea, for here. That city soon will also have HOV, and maybe if I sell my overpriced house here I can buy two or three there and run for public office as the "slug" candidate.

I'm not anti-hybrid, I just don't like the hybrid HOV. Some things don't mix well.

thirdbag

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 11:31am
Hybrid HOV works great when it has 3 people (if HOV-3) in it.

NoSb

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 11:36am
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbag
[br]I went on vacation out west last month and amazingly I saw ONE hybrid vehicle, in a city with no HOV. I thought you know that's a pretty good idea, for here. That city soon will also have HOV, and maybe if I sell my overpriced house here I can buy two or three there and run for public office as the "slug" candidate.

I'm not anti-hybrid, I just don't like the hybrid HOV. Some things don't mix well.

thirdbag

3rdBag - the reason you don't see such a density of hybrids elsewhere is because of the HOV exemption. Thank goodness VA had the sense to put that exemption in! Perhaps our density of hybrids is helping to reduce demand by a couple of cents at the pump - everyone gets to piggyback on the enlightenment of our legislature.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 11:47am
The VW Jetta TDI gets 50 mpg. It gets no exemption. It's not alternative fuel. Neither is the current "hybrids" we're talking about at highway speeds.

I'm being "gradually awakened" to needing a real alternative. Something like biodiesel or ethanol. Wasn't planning to buy a vehicle, but may just do that AND GET MY CF EXEMPTION FOR HOV USE--YAHOO!

Of course, being the altruistic person I am (because that is who I am), I'll still pick up slugs when it's convenient...

Oh, I'm pretty humble too (tic)

NoSb

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 11:54am
NoSUV, when you can show me the numbers as to how a Hybrid is as beneficial to the HOV and the environment as a regular sedan I'll buy the Hybrid exemption.

A lady I work with owns a Hybrid and I slug home with her and another slug, she doesn't have the CF plates. But honestly, she gets just under 40 mpg and unless those two extra bodies are costing her 20MPG which they aren't, a van/sedan getting 18 mpg on the highway still beats the hybrid economically and ecologically.

Hybrids aren't as good as touted by some. And the HOT lanes, most hybrid drivers will be able to afford it and depending on the rules they might be in for a surprise when their hybrids are no longer welcome, but it may be too late to be pro-HOV then. The HOT lanes IMO are going to drive up wages/taxes and leave little in our pockets and plenty in the HOT contractor/govt coffers.

thirdbag

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 12:34pm
3rdBag - if 100% of that sedan's usage was for commuting only, I can almost see your point. Keep track of the percent use for a month and you'll likely see that that 18 mpg is far worse than the hybrid, which ALWAYS gets better than that! Not sure about your lady friend, but she may need to check her tire pressure. I've never gotten less than 43 with my '02 Prius with over 60K miles.

Hybrids aren't as good as touted by some - but a far sight better than that sedan clunker and SUVs!

The exemption is also about OVERALL congestion - the express lanes still whiz by the regular lanes even with the hybrid exemption. If not exemption, then we MUST have tolls to better balance the flow.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 1:59pm
"The exemption is also about OVERALL congestion - the express lanes still whiz by the regular lanes even with the hybrid exemption. If not exemption, then we MUST have tolls to better balance the flow."

Well, that argument assumes that the ONLY two choices are exemption or toll. Surely there are others. Like, perhaps, public transportation or more of the single drivers pick up riders. After all, many of those people in the main lines can use the HOV lanes right now, today: all they have to do is pick up people.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 2:04pm
But those in the main line don't. Surely, there is a reason. Or multitudes of reasons.

There are other alternatives, and ones that will clearly work. Best is on the hybrid thread where we eliminate every vehicle but busses (and hybrids) in the express lanes and go back to what was so successful in the early 70s.

Posted By: 122582
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 7:33pm
I'm riding my Harley a lot lately. It get's 60 MPG and is a lot more fun than my truck or car. Maybe we should scrap slugging and make the HOV motorcycle only.

Posted By: CallmeMrSlug
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 10:38pm
Oh this from the person who says collected 3.00 on way in and 2.00 on way home today, your credibility is shrinking...did you charge 2 people to ride on your back?

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2005 at 9:18am
"Best is on the hybrid thread where we eliminate every vehicle but busses (sic) (and hybrids) in the express lanes and go back to what was so successful in the early 70s."

NOSUV, do you mean buses and hybrids with three or more people, or do you mean buses and hybrids with ANY number, even singles?

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2005 at 10:32am
quote:
Originally posted by carleric
[br]"Best is on the hybrid thread where we eliminate every vehicle but busses (sic) (and hybrids) in the express lanes and go back to what was so successful in the early 70s."

NOSUV, do you mean buses and hybrids with three or more people, or do you mean buses and hybrids with ANY number, even singles?

Not sure it would matter = would it? Key is to get transportation to mass transit and reduced reliance on personal gas consumption. Once we get to where nearly all cars are either clean fuel or hybrid, then rule review might be in order.

Posted By: SuzAnne
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2005 at 8:24am
RLD! Are you and NoSUV the same?

Posted By: EnufisEnuf
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2005 at 3:40pm
I personally think the slugging system is working great. No need to change a thing except maybe everyone can try to smile more! Smiling is good exercise for those cheek muscles ladies![:o)]

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net