Print Page | Close Window

Radar Detectors

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2055
Printed Date: 07 Sep 2024 at 10:30pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Radar Detectors
Posted By: HybridDriver
Subject: Radar Detectors
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2005 at 2:52pm
Here's a dillemma. The HOV lanes on 395 travel at easily 75-80 mph, which is obviously speeding. Would you rided with a driver using a radar detector to "beat the odds?"

Discuss.

--------
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid
Funny, I've never been in a motorcycle only traffic jam!

Replies:
Posted By: carleric
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2005 at 3:05pm
I'd prefer not to. I've been in cars that were pulled over before and the wait is no fun. Of course, I've NEVER seen someone pulled over for a radar detector, even though they're illegal in VA. As a slug I doubt I'd notice it in the first place, unless it was obvious.

Posted By: scottt
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 8:46am
What's the difference between 75-80 with a detector and 75-80 without one?

Posted By: Dhacim
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 9:01am
RoadRunner, you can do 75-80 in HOV-3 in both that afternoons and evenings, trust me, I do it. In fact, most often people are blowing past me. There was a thread like this last year where a bunch of people were claiming its impossible to do, yet I have no problem finding the time windows where it is possible.

What time do you leave?

Posted By: mariam0673
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 9:29am
I do 80 most of the way AM and PM...and sometimes people still pass me.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 10:24am
RR, we leave right around the same times, I leave stafford at 7:30 or 7:40 leave Rosslyn slug line around 5:30...never a problem doing 80 most of the way, it gluts up a little but nothing serious.

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 2:30pm
"nothing serious". Eighty isn't serious?

Posted By: NoSUV
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 3:53pm
Gosh, all this with hybrids in the lanes? What was VDOT thinking when they said the exemption must expire?

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2005 at 4:18pm
quote:
Originally posted by vabigblue
[br]"nothing serious". Eighty isn't serious?

What are you taking about? I was saying the traffic doesn't slow up that bad. I don't want another discussion about 80 being too fast. I believe you and I went through this same discussion last year. Arent you retired law enforcement? If so, then yes we already had this discussion.

BTW, I'm not the only one doing 80 out there.....

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 7:19am
quote:
Originally posted by Dhacim
[br]
quote:
[br]"nothing serious". Eighty isn't serious?

What are you taking about? I was saying the traffic doesn't slow up that bad. I don't want another discussion about 80 being too fast. I believe you and I went through this same discussion last year. Arent you retired law enforcement? If so, then yes we already had this discussion.

BTW, I'm not the only one doing 80 out there.....

What are you talking about? You were the one who mentioned 80 not being serious. Yeh, we had the same conversation last year and we'll have it again as long as you are encourging drivers to exceed the limit by mentioning ANYTHING about the seriousness of speed.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 7:33am
Besides, if you're not doing 80, then you'd better edit your 11 Aug 05, 09:01 and 10:24 posts Dahcim.

Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 7:39am
Seems reasonable to go as fast as the traffic will permit, of course, be prepared for the consequences. Would also seem that if one is actually "doing 80" then they should not have to ever tap brakes or weave in/out of traffic to maintain that speed.

I drive the HOV at the same times mentioned and can't see how people could REASONABLY do 80. Reasonably, as defined by me (I'm a distant relative of Webster), means no impedence to the flow, thus there is NO requirement to hit the brakes or change lanes at all while in the HOV. The only time I think I've seen the HOV that clear is when the VDOT trucks are doing their final spin up the lanes to ensure they're ready to be opened/reversed.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Posted By: KCWolfPck
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 8:43am
quote:
[br]What are you talking about? You were the one who mentioned 80 not being serious

Someone needs to take some reading comprehension classes. He didn't say going 80 is nothing serious. He said that he usually doesn't have problems going 80 most of the way home. He also said that sometimes the traffic jams up a little, but nothing serious. "Nothing serious" is referring to the times when he has to slow down...not driving 80. He didn't write in hieroglyphics or some other cryptic language. It was pretty straight forward and easy to understand if you take the 1 second it takes to actually comprehend a sentence.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 9:12am
quote:
Originally posted by KCWolfPck
[br]
quote:
[br]What are you talking about? You were the one who mentioned 80 not being serious

Someone needs to take some reading comprehension classes. He didn't say going 80 is nothing serious. He said that he usually doesn't have problems going 80 most of the way home. He also said that sometimes the traffic jams up a little, but nothing serious. "Nothing serious" is referring to the times when he has to slow down...not driving 80. He didn't write in hieroglyphics or some other cryptic language. It was pretty straight forward and easy to understand if you take the 1 second it takes to actually comprehend a sentence.

Anything about this speeding issue is serious, weather it's the speeding or the association with it. You can defend the comments any way you want, I'm not going to debate the issue any long because I know the consequences.

Posted By: KCWolfPck
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 10:01am
quote:
[br]

Anything about this speeding issue is serious, weather it's the speeding or the association with it.

The whole point of my post was that Dhacim NEVER SAID THAT SPEEDING WASN'T SERIOUS. He was talking about the slowdowns not being serious. Like I said...maybe some comprehension classes would do you well. Jeez....

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2005 at 11:06am
THX KC...... VaBigBlue aka McGruff the crime dog got all over me about this same topic last year. And yes I was saying that the slowdowns were nothing serious. At least one of you can read.

Have a good one.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net