Print Page | Close Window

left lane "cruisers"

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1893
Printed Date: 26 Jun 2024 at 8:48am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: left lane "cruisers"
Posted By: AveMaria
Subject: left lane "cruisers"
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 10:39am
I want to please address the issue of the left lane drivers.

When you drive on a freeway or an expressway the left lane is called the passing lane. You use it to pass. Driving the posted speed limit is fine, IF, someone doesn't need/want to pass you.

Passing is completely legal and not used just because someone is in a rush. If passing wasn't legal, we wouldn't have passing lanes, and signs telling us we can or cannot pass.

If someone is tailgating you in the left - you're going too slow. Don't get huffy. Don't get indignant. GET OVER! If you can. If you can't it will be obvious to the person behind you. So relax.

It's a generally recognized rule as well as a common courtesy. Most states have laws against staying in the left lane when it is clear to move right, or unless planning to turn left shortly. There is nothing worse than being in a long line of cars that can't go anywhere because the lead cars are just strolling. On two lane freeways, in the rural areas, that is the worst.

If you want to drive the speed limit, stay on the right. It isn't a hard thing to do. I do it all the time. Use the left when you need it but don't just putter.

I'm talking about courtesy here. Manners. Proper driving etiquette. Get off your high horses already. It is perfectly legal to fart on a packed elevator. Most of us opt not to. Why? Manners. Same thing with burping. Some do it, some don't. Manners.

One more thing. If someone is obviously trying to pass you, speeding up to prevent them is STUPID. And just as dangerous as tailgaiting.

Replies:
Posted By: qorc
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 10:41am
if you are already doing 75, or even 80 in the passing lane, I would think it would be bad manners for anyone to come up on your bumper close, flash their lights and make gestures, etc.

It's not like you're doing 55 or something.

People that do 85-90 and above need to get a grip on themselves, their own selfish needs, and the fact that they are putting everyone at risk.

If you are one of those drivers, take a chill pill and try to stay within 15 miles of the speed limit for everyone's sake.

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 12:47pm
This is the easiest way to look at it:

If you are driving on three lanes:
Left to Right- Fast, medium, SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

If you are driving on two lanes: (HOV)
Left to Right: Fast, and, I dont want to get to work on time.

See how easy that is??

:'}

Posted By: Baz
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 12:49pm
GOOD ONE

Posted By: adjguy
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 1:31pm
I find it, that in northern virginia that if im not passing fast enough in the left lane, the busy bees jump right on my keester. Just the other day I was passing traffic, but not fast enough and one of the busy bees were right on my bumper. Everyone needs to slow down.

I dont know of any states where riding in left lane and not passing is illegal, but I do know in places like Germany, if you are rear ended and your in the left lane, its your fault. I dont think Virginia has any autobans either, so I doubt it applies.

I also understand that driving 55 anywhere on the beltway or 95 is suicide and can at times be dangerous. I did not like the comment "if you want to do the speed limit stay to right". I thought 65 means 65. I dont know if there is a law that gives a person legal right and authority to exceed the speed limit in the left lane.

I agree with the writers comment of not speeding up so one cant pass. That only provokes aggression on the highway, along with tailgating.
Please, lets all just be careful out there.

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 2:03pm
Keep in mind that tailgating is considered aggressive driving. The tailgating offense is worse than the offense of someone only going 72 in a 65 and taking a bit too long to pass.

Currently the troopers are in the middle of a crackdown on aggressive driving. They are not cracking down on slow driving in the fast lane. Which problem is the actual problem for our area?

Finally, it is the aggressive speeders that have fouled things up for those of us who drive no more than 5 over. How? Because they drive so fast, the entire Beltway and the regular lanes remain at 55 mph. If it weren't for all the jerks, it could be raised to at least 60.

Posted By: tri2dc
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 2:25pm
Let the cynics talk. Tom Cruise is in love -- and he just can't restrain himself.

"You know what? There's always cynics. There always has been. There always will be," said Cruise, who hasn't been shy about displaying his affection for "Batman Begins" actress Katie Holmes. "I have never worried ... about what other people think and what other people say."

Cruise, 42, and Holmes, 26, went public with their romance in April, smooching and posing for photographers in Rome. They recently became engaged.

Many have doubted the romance -- the words "publicity stunt" have rained down on the couple like an alien invasion as Cruise has been busy promoting his new film, "War of the Worlds," directed by Steven Spielberg, which opens on June 29.

"I have to tell you. It's just a great time in my life," Cruise said in an interview that aired Friday on NBC's "Today" show. "I'm really happy. And, you know, I'm engaged. I'm going to be married. I can't restrain myself. It's like you've got two little cords on your mouth and you can't stop smiling."

The actor, whose marriages to Mimi Rogers and Nicole Kidman ended in divorce, declined to say what Holmes has brought to his life that wasn't there in the past.

"I don't want to compare things," Cruise said. "It's that thing where you just -- in life when it just happens. ... You meet someone. And it's -- I can't even describe it."

When asked if he could be with someone at this stage in his life who doesn't have an interest in the Church of Scientology -- Holmes has said she's embracing the religion -- Cruise told interviewer Matt Lauer: "Scientology is something that you don't understand. It's like you could be a Christian and be a Scientologist.

"It is a religion. Because it's dealing with the spirit. You as a spiritual being. It gives you tools you can use to apply to your life."

When Lauer mentioned Cruise's earlier criticism of Brooke Shields for taking anti-depressants, Cruise told the "Today" show co-host he didn't know what he was talking about.

"You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do," Cruise said.

The interview became more heated when Lauer, who said he knew people who had been helped by the attention-deficit disorder drug Ritalin, asked Cruise about the effects of the drug.

"Matt, Matt, you don't even -- you're glib," Cruise responded. "You don't even know what Ritalin is. If you start talking about chemical imbalance, you have to evaluate and read the research papers on how they came up with these theories, Matt, OK. That's what I've done."

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 2:28pm
uuuuuuummmm..... KAY!! Its all TC's and Joey's fault!

:'}

Posted By: tri2dc
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 2:33pm
Oh.... I'm sorry I thought this was a Tom Cruise tread. My fault.

a thousand pardons........

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 2:57pm
... and tune in again tomorrow, same time, same channel, for the next exciting episode of "As The Slug Turns" ! [:p]

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]

Posted By: mycroftt
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 3:00pm
quote:
Originally posted by qorc
[br]if you are already doing 75, or even 80 in the passing lane, I would think it would be bad manners for anyone to come up on your bumper close, flash their lights and make gestures, etc.

It's not like you're doing 55 or something.

People that do 85-90 and above need to get a grip on themselves, their own selfish needs, and the fact that they are putting everyone at risk.

If you are one of those drivers, take a chill pill and try to stay within 15 miles of the speed limit for everyone's sake.

I'm not with you on this one. If you are in the left and somebody wants to go faster, you should move over. Failure to do so is where the bad manners and dangerous driving practices come in. Let the speed demons go on by!

Posted By: USA
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 3:52pm
quote:
Originally posted by adjguy
[br]* * *
I dont know of any states where riding in left lane and not passing is illegal, but I do know in places like Germany, if you are rear ended and your in the left lane, its your fault. I dont think Virginia has any autobans either, so I doubt it applies.

I also understand that driving 55 anywhere on the beltway or 95 is suicide and can at times be dangerous. I did not like the comment "if you want to do the speed limit stay to right". I thought 65 means 65. I dont know if there is a law that gives a person legal right and authority to exceed the speed limit in the left lane.

Regarding the first paragraph, I know New Jersey has the law that it is illegal to cruise in the left lane (i.e., left lane for passing only). Not sure about other states. Virginia and Maryland do not.

Regarding the second paragraph, it is the law in Virginia that if you are in the left lane and someone approaches at a faster speed, you must give way upon an audible or visual signal from that driver. I interpret that as meaning that if they flash their lights or blow the horn, you must move, but not if they simply tailgate. (I suppose giving the finger might qualify as a visual signal?) In my case, I make a point of moving back to the right lane when I have finished passing, so I don't worry much about receiving an audible or visual signal. I do get very frustrated with the jerks who cruise at 55 in the left lane of the 65-mph express lanes and refuse to move even when you flash your lights and blow the horn. (There are still a surprising number of people who do not even do 65 in there in my experience.)

Posted By: uhura.
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2005 at 4:47pm
quote:
Originally posted by tri2dc
[br]Let the cynics talk. Tom Cruise is in love -- and he just can't restrain himself.

"You know what? There's always cynics. There always has been. There always will be," said Cruise, who hasn't been shy about displaying his affection for "Batman Begins" actress Katie Holmes. "I have never worried ... about what other people think and what other people say."

Cruise, 42, and Holmes, 26, went public with their romance in April, smooching and posing for photographers in Rome. They recently became engaged.

Many have doubted the romance -- the words "publicity stunt" have rained down on the couple like an alien invasion as Cruise has been busy promoting his new film, "War of the Worlds," directed by Steven Spielberg, which opens on June 29.

"I have to tell you. It's just a great time in my life," Cruise said in an interview that aired Friday on NBC's "Today" show. "I'm really happy. And, you know, I'm engaged. I'm going to be married. I can't restrain myself. It's like you've got two little cords on your mouth and you can't stop smiling."

The actor, whose marriages to Mimi Rogers and Nicole Kidman ended in divorce, declined to say what Holmes has brought to his life that wasn't there in the past.

"I don't want to compare things," Cruise said. "It's that thing where you just -- in life when it just happens. ... You meet someone. And it's -- I can't even describe it."

When asked if he could be with someone at this stage in his life who doesn't have an interest in the Church of Scientology -- Holmes has said she's embracing the religion -- Cruise told interviewer Matt Lauer: "Scientology is something that you don't understand. It's like you could be a Christian and be a Scientologist.

"It is a religion. Because it's dealing with the spirit. You as a spiritual being. It gives you tools you can use to apply to your life."

When Lauer mentioned Cruise's earlier criticism of Brooke Shields for taking anti-depressants, Cruise told the "Today" show co-host he didn't know what he was talking about.

"You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do," Cruise said.

The interview became more heated when Lauer, who said he knew people who had been helped by the attention-deficit disorder drug Ritalin, asked Cruise about the effects of the drug.

"Matt, Matt, you don't even -- you're glib," Cruise responded. "You don't even know what Ritalin is. If you start talking about chemical imbalance, you have to evaluate and read the research papers on how they came up with these theories, Matt, OK. That's what I've done."

Hello?

Posted By: wahoowa
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2005 at 9:20pm
Is passing on the right illegal in Virginia? If there's a slow-moving car in front of me in the left lane, I give it a few moments to realize I'm there and move over; otherwise, I just pass it on the right. Seems like most drivers in our area do the same.

I haven't seen nearly as many "left laners" in the I-95 HOV as I have farther south in the state, though.

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2005 at 8:28am
quote:
Originally posted by wahoowa
[br]Is passing on the right illegal in Virginia? If there's a slow-moving car in front of me in the left lane, I give it a few moments to realize I'm there and move over; otherwise, I just pass it on the right. Seems like most drivers in our area do the same.

I haven't seen nearly as many "left laners" in the I-95 HOV as I have farther south in the state, though.

Passing on the right is legal in certain circumstances in Virginia, although obviously it would be better if people would move over to allow folks to pass on the left. The relevant code section is Va. Code 46.2-841. Not sure if I can post a link here: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-841

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-841 - Hopefully the HTML will work and you can click here.

Posted By: cdatkins
Date Posted: 28 Jun 2005 at 8:37am
I'm all for careful driving, but I'm all for careful enforcement of the laws, too. Slower drivers should not take it upon themselves to try and "slow down" faster drivers. Leave that to the cops, and get it in the right lane.

Posted By: shahedC
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 9:00am
quote:
Originally posted by uhura.
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by tri2dc
[br]Let the cynics talk. Tom Cruise is in love -- and he just can't restrain himself.

Hello?

You had us at hello.
[:D]

Posted By: marcelhenryg
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 9:14am
yes, we all agree going 80n in the hov lanes is too fast. but the point is that some people do. if you are in the left lane and someone is tailgating you and wants to go faster, simply move over and let them pass. you can then get back over and resume holding up the left lane traffic for the hundreds of other cars behind you [:D]

Posted By: Bob
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 9:54am
Yes, there is an obligation and a requirement to move over. However, the person exceeding the speed limit needs to realize a few things. There are legitimite reasons for a person "only" going 72 to be in the fast lane, such as passing. I have a right to pass without being harassed or tailgated. Get it? If I am in the process of making a legal pass and some jerk comes right up behind me, I generally just continue in the fast lane and let him pass on the right. Why? Because when I am being illegally tailgated, this creates a dangerous situation for me to even move over. So do not tailgate and have some patience. If you have sat back for say 15 seconds or so, and there has been plenty of opportunity for me to move over and I haven't then just flash your lights, but DO NOT TAILGATE.

Posted By: bnvus
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 10:00am
This topic has been an issue for YEARS to come. The bottom line is tailgating will not change peoples minds other than to piss them and you off. So why do it? Just pass them and go on your Merry way.

Posted By: miltrade
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 11:07am
The idiots on this thread saying that fast drivers should "chill out" or "calm down" are the main reason we have so much traffic in this area. If everyone used the left lane for passing only, got into the right when they aren't passing, and followed at a correct distance, we would all get to work 30 minutes earlier. Anyone who drives 55 in a 65 is also subject to a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic.

Oh yeah, and slow drivers SUCK.

Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 3:20pm
The SPEED LIMIT is the upper limit, not the lower limit.

Had one wonderful person come up on my bumper yesterday as I was passing (I like to travel in the right hand lane, there's less traffic there!) another vehicle.

I was just coming line abreast with the vehicle I was passing, this bumper rider starts flashing lights at me to move over. I look to my right to confirm I'd not blacked out and there was indeed someone in the righthand lane.

There was a car there still and I was still overtaking.

The BR continued to flash her lights until she saw me moving out of the way.

It's ok. She'll receive a "Darwin award" someday as all she's really doing is killing herself with all that pent up impatience.

Yes, the limit is the upper limit. If following distances were followed, process analysis (e.g. identify the bottlenecks) shows that traffic flow would indeed be a higher average than the bumper riders realize.

But then again....it's all about "ME!".

NoSb

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 3:25pm
quote:
Originally posted by marcelhenryg
[br]yes, we all agree going 80n in the hov lanes is too fast.

Errr, is that the "royal we" there?

Posted By: VA4ver
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 3:42pm
People are forgetting that this area needs ALL the lanes to keep traffic moving during RUSH hour. So basically left lane, right line rules don't apply. Just because the speed limit is 65 mph, you aren't necessarily going to be moving at that speed.

How's this rule of thumb for rush hour traffic: IF you are riding in left hand lane AND do not need to exit anytime soon AND the right hand lane is traveling faster than you, that's a good clue you need not be in the left hand lane. IF you are driving in the left hand lane and expect everyone to move over for you when both lanes are traveling at the same pace, I ask you who made you God? Take a chill pill, put on some good music, say a mantra.

Safety comes first and we ALL want to get home ALIVE!

Date Posted: 29 Jun 2005 at 3:56pm
Good post, VA4ver. As annoying as slowpokes are, the studies say that the most dangerous thing is the weaving in and out by the people who refuse to accept the speed of the traffic.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 8:35am
Like all the SOVs on 2 wheels this morning...

NoSb

Posted By: Baz
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 8:53am
Funny thing is...in the HOV recently, I can pretty much stay in the "slow" lane - the right lane - and pretty much stay at the same pace as the A-hole doing all the tailgating, lightflashing, and weaving between cars! Just because of the sheer volume in the "passing" lane where people think just because they're in that lane they will be traveling at a faster pace. Rarely the case anymore.

Posted By: Luddite
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 10:13am
Yeah, me too. I stay in the slow lane, accept the slow pace of traffic, watch folks weaving in and out and almost always end up near the Mem bridge split within five cars or so--sometimes even ahead of them. It happens almost every morning. When traffic is light in HOV in the a.m., I go all out and as fast as possible disregarding all safe speed limits, placing everyone in my car in mortal jeopardy. My car is so powerful that I can sometimes attain speeds approaching 40 mph for up to one mile! Most mornings I just let my car idle down the hov lanes. I seldom ever have to use the accelerator. Sad but true.

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 11:37am
I really wish y'all would stop telling the world that the right lane is actually moving at an average speed roughly equal to the left lane. Now MY lane will be all the more clogged up and I will still only arrive to my destination within 5 car lengths of the "aggressive drivers". Huh? What'd he just say?

[:(]

NoSb

Posted By: 122582
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 12:13pm
I just set the cruise on 45, and stay in the middle - that way I don't have to brake and can easily move to either lane, depending on where I feel I will be the more obnoxious.

Posted By: Luddite
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 1:36pm
I can see the headline now. Maniac driver in HOV admits to driving 45mph!

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 2:32pm
I love how this forum allows us to share new and interesting driving techniques (which may even scare a slug or two!).

[8D]

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!

Posted By: 122582
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2005 at 2:59pm
Anyone know where I can get some 19 inch rims like those in "Spartacus"?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net