Print Page | Close Window

Spam from RobertLangDirect

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1851
Printed Date: 27 Sep 2024 at 8:51am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Spam from RobertLangDirect
Posted By: Undisclosed
Subject: Spam from RobertLangDirect
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2005 at 3:00pm
I had no idea that participating in this message board would open me to email spam. Unfortunately, it often appears that there is no moderator here to deal with this type of abuse.

Replies:
Posted By: N_or_S_bound
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2005 at 3:23pm
Undisclosed? Interesting. It's the web--get used to it.

http://www.slug-lines.com/Slugging/useragreement.asp

Doesn't specifically address it as far as I can see, but web-savy people realize they'll receive mailings from any forum they sign up for.

NoSB

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2005 at 4:00pm
Oh, I imagined that I might get an email from slug-lines.com What is offensive is that a USER of this forum, RobertLangDirect, is able to send spam to everyone who registered here.

I just went into my profile on this site and changed my email address to one which is completely bogus (none@none.com). I suggest that anyone who doesn't want to get email from RobertLangDirect -- or any other user of this forum who wants to email their beliefs to your personal email addy -- do the same.

Posted By: imaslug2
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2005 at 6:25pm
I also got an email fro RobertLangDirect, trying to encourage me to post my comment on VDOT website's re HOT issue. This is probably the same "spam" email that you got. However, I did not take this as a spam. I actually took it seriously and submitted my pro-HOV comments in the specified webiste. I, as a slugging citizen, really appreciate RobertLangDirect's reminder email. Thanks for the reminder Robert!

Posted By: Blue Chevy
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2005 at 8:05pm
I got the email too. Spam is defined as unsolicited email. Regardless of whether I agree with RobertLangDirect, he sent me spam. That's just not cool. Shame on you, RobertLangDirect, for exploiting our participation in this website for your personal agenda.

Posted By: dickboyd
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2005 at 12:14am
quote:
Originally posted by Undisclosed
[br]I had no idea that participating in this message board would open me to email spam. Unfortunately, it often appears that there is no moderator here to deal with this type of abuse.

ADMINISTRIVIA
Please read the FAQs at the Snitz Forums 2000 site. Click on the Snitz logo in the lower right corner or the FAQ or Profile links near the top of the page. Snitz freeware is intended to allow forum members, not only system administrator to control options.

One advantage I see of Snitz, is that there is an option to receive or send individual e-mails to other subscribers without actually knowing their e-mail address. A masking e-mail address is one of the options available. You still get the "private" e-mail from other forum members, but have the option of blocking the address as spam. Or better yet, of selecting "no e-mail."

Look at the icons on the line that has the name of the poster. There will be from one to five icons depending on options selected. If you are the writer of a post, you will see two additional icons. A trash can and an edit icon. If you wrote it and want to retract or edit, click on the correct icon.

If another member has selected to receive individual e-mails (not posted on the forum), there is an icon for that also.

Netiquette on Forums is that if a member posts to a topic and has activated the "private" e-mail icon, then private e-mails are acceptable.

As to the issue of whether soliciting members to make political comments? I'll leave that to the wisdom of the administrator. A separate forum might be the venue for political action. Slug-lines might work better as a site to recruit passengers, find new park and ride lots, find new pick up points and lost and found columns.

While you are checking out the places linked from slug-lines.com, check out the "sponsors". Any comments about additional links?

dickboyd@aol.com

Posted By: qorc
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2005 at 7:07am
tried to tell y'all he was a crackpot from a long long time ago

Posted By: tri2dc
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2005 at 10:45am
He emailed me the not long ago asking me to call him. Yea right! No way man, I don't swing that way.

Posted By: tri2dc
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2005 at 10:47am
I tried to update my email profile to none@none.com but it was already in use.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2005 at 12:05pm
quote:
Originally posted by tri2dc
[br]I tried to update my email profile to none@none.com but it was already in use.

Sorry! That's the bogus email address I am now using to prevent spam from RobertLangDirect and anyone else. You could use none1@none.com or some other made up email address.

Posted By: DanMadeup
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2005 at 12:46pm
Yeah Buddy! He threatened to kick my ass too if I didn't side with him.

quote:
Originally posted by qorc
[br]tried to tell y'all he was a crackpot from a long long time ago

Posted By: Subaru
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2005 at 12:57pm
He's just trying to get the word out that are HOV's are in danger. I may disagree with how stuff is written on his flyers, but I sure as hell dont see anyone else out there in the morning passing out stuff telling us about how are HOV's will be gone soon. I also dont see anyone else setting up great presentations at county meetings to help our side like him.

-Rob

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2005 at 2:26pm
Robert Lang. I have to commend you for taking the high road.

After what's been posted here, many would provide you a "free fire zone" to open up on some (e.g. people who hide behind fake emails and undisclosed logins).

You sir are a gentleman and someone who can definitely send me email at your leisure!

humbled,
NoSB

Posted By: SpongeBob
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2005 at 3:27pm
Woah, the high road? Saying that the end justifies the means? Saying, "if I send it, it's important; it is not spam," is the high road? Is it a toll road?

Spam is spam. Noble spam is still spam. Golden spam is spam. Polite, well-dressed, brushed and pressed spam... is spam.

I'm as committed as anybody to this effort, but....

Anyway, if RobertLangDirect wants to send his announcement to everybody in his address book (which includes at least one yellow invertebrate!) that is great. But sending to an entire list of strangers could repel as often as it attracts, as proven by this thread itself. We can't afford to alienate ANYONE.

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2005 at 3:40pm
Sponge, maybe rereading helps...

My reference was to his response to the WAY others chose to express themselves.

Had nothing to do with whether I agreed/disagreed with receiving extra email.

Thanks for your time.

NoSB

Posted By: uhura.
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2005 at 3:47pm
Being one who has had some difficultly on this board, I want to side with good ole Rob Lang. Please add me to your spam list uhura@trekky.com

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2005 at 4:43pm
So you didn't spam, Robert? You sent direct emails? Well, that's a horse of an entirely different color then.

Thanks for doing it.

Is there a misspelling here, or am I just so uncool these days I don't know what 'tube' means:
As to not alienating anyone, that is why I am am not an officer of any particular organization who could then be targetted by a few who desire to tube HOV for all.

But I think I get your point.

Posted By: Blue Chevy
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2005 at 8:56pm
I think SpongeBob's first reply hits the point. Noble spam is still spam.

Apparently, there is some question as to how RobertLangDirect was able to harvest everyone's personal email address to spam everyone who uses this message board. The moderator suspects that files were hacked.

I wrote to admin requesting permission to use a fake email address to prevent further spam from RobertLangDirect. Here's the response I got:

=======
Thanks for the email and it appears as though somebody
may have hacked into the files - not sure at this
point. You may use a fake email address for now
although the advantage of a real email address is that
I (or others) can contact you directly (through the
message board) without them seeing your actual email
address.

Anyway, thanks for the email and I'll see what I can
do to correct this.

Sincerely,
David LeBlanc
www.Slug-Lines.com

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2005 at 10:27pm
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Chevy
[br]I think SpongeBob's first reply hits the point. Noble spam is still spam.

Apparently, there is some question as to how RobertLangDirect was able to harvest everyone's personal email address to spam everyone who uses this message board. The moderator suspects that files were hacked.

I wrote to admin requesting permission to use a fake email address to prevent further spam from RobertLangDirect. Here's the response I got:

=======
Thanks for the email and it appears as though somebody
may have hacked into the files - not sure at this
point. You may use a fake email address for now
although the advantage of a real email address is that
I (or others) can contact you directly (through the
message board) without them seeing your actual email
address.

Anyway, thanks for the email and I'll see what I can
do to correct this.

Sincerely,
David LeBlanc
www.Slug-Lines.com

ADMINISTRIVIA

Click on profile. It will ask for your user name and password. If successful, you can change the option to "no e-mail" and the icon for mail will go away. No more personal e-mails. Saves one filtering action.

Has Slug-Lines.com been hacked for addresses? I think NOT.

As a courtesy to others, if you don't want personal e-mails from the slug-lines.com forums, click on "Profile" enter name and password, navigate to e-mail and select no e-mail. If you leave a "phony" e-mail address, such as noname or noname1, but still leave the icon near your name, that is still an invitation to send private e-mails.

Using that private e-mail and getting a response that the message is not deliverable is very frustrating. Sounds like something VRE or METRO would do. [}:)][xx(][}:)]

If you don't want e-mails check the no e-mail box, please.

If Robert Lang or anyone else was able to Hack Snitz Forums, they are in the wrong line of work. They should be working for a computer security company.

Yes, spam is undesired e-mail. But if you don't check the no e-mail box, how is one to know you don't want private e-mails.

I don't think even the moderator can change your selection as to whether you want e-mail or not.

dickboyd@aol.com

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2005 at 10:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by uhura.
[br]Being one who has had some difficultly on this board, I want to side with good ole Rob Lang. Please add me to your spam list uhura@trekky.com

When banned-but-still-here Uhura sides with you it is definitely time to reassess your behavior.

Posted By: Admin
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 6:04am
Spamming of Message Board Emails - It was reported that some members of the message board may have received spam emails. Just for the record, Slug-Lines.com does NOT release any emails or names to third parties. In addition, the only broadcast emails are to newsletter members who subscribe to the newsletter.

Posted By: qorc
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 7:10am
THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

ACCEPT MY UNSOLICITED EMAILS OR LOSE SLUGGING FOREVER! IT IS THAT SIMPLE!!

*ahem*

Posted By: carleric
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 9:29am
Apparently, the default setting is to allow emails from other forum members. At least, my profile says Yes and I do not recall making that choice, though it's very possible that I did and forgot about it. So, people should go into their profiles and make sure the box reads No. Unless they don't mind email, of course.

Posted By: defender
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 9:33am
I never thought that I would write in agreement with you.

I read your post and understand why you detest Robert's unsolicited e-mail asking for you to participate in an effort to save HOV. This is offensive, isn't it?

When he passes out his literature on a 31-degree sleeting morning at 0430, or at 7 PM in 97-degree heat, he meets everyone with the same, optimistic "Hello! I am Bob Lang and I have . . . " greeting. It is as if he doesn't know that we want good coffee in the morning and have homes to go to in the evenings.

He maintains a consistent message despite what others tell him. While he claims that Ms. Caddigan had the no parking signs put up on Interstate Drive, she says she didn't. He says he has the e-mail, she says that was her staff and not her. He gets threatened; she claims he is a kook. It is as if he knows the facts even as she runs for cover.

He is so in your face. He has written in the Washington Post, The Potomac News, The Manassas Journal, and the Free Lance-Star. And you can't get away from it. He even gets published in Philadelphia and Government Computer News. They contunue to publish his letters as if he is either well written, knowledgeable, or both. But we know he is none of this.

He has noted time and again that Single Occupancy Vehicle add to congestion and demands that the "Commonwealth" as he calls Virginia, end the HOV exceptions granted for certain SOVs. He refuses to grant a free pass, even to those who bought hybrids hoping to continue to drive solo on the HOV. He doesn't consider the large investment we made to get into an HOV-enabled SOV.

He is stupid, or oblivious, and ignores the threats made to him, his home, and his family. Why should he try to fight for others when they seem unable to fight for themselves? It does not make sense.

Do we agree? Should someone tell Robert Lang to stop or ban him from his activities?

quote:
[br]THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

*ahem*

Posted By: carleric
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 9:46am
I appreciate RLD's tireless advocacy and I respect the lengths he goes to, but the fact remains that unsolicited email, even if helpful and/or well-meant, is still spam.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 11:09am
quote:
Originally posted by carleric
[br]I appreciate RLD's tireless advocacy and I respect the lengths he goes to, but the fact remains that unsolicited email, even if helpful and/or well-meant, is still spam.

*EXACTLY* But zealots never get it. They are blinded by the self-assessed importance of their cause.

As RobertLangDirect stated, he does not regret sending email to everyone's personal account, but only that people saw it as spam. In fact, he says that he "will feel shame only when we have to change this forum to Toll-lines.com"

There is no reasoning with logic like that.

Posted By: shahedC
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 5:03pm
I got RLD's spam as well... now just because some people don't mind getting his emails, it doesn't make it NOT spam. It's still spam. Keep in mind that commercial spam is also accepted to by a small number of recipients, who actually read the emails and respond positively.

Maybe RLD can create a voluntary mailing list on his own website, and then publicize that website by posting a thread about it here?

That way, he can get people who are interested, and only those who voluntary signed up to receive his stuff.

I realize he means well, but sending unsolicited email to strangers is always spam.

Posted By: SuzAnne
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 9:26pm
I was told that there was a site to register HOT comments but did not know where. Thank you Robert Lang for sending me the e-mail.

It would be very unladylike for me to say, "screw these other people," so I don't say that. But Robert, admit it, you'd love to chime in now, wouldn't you?

Posted By: SuzAnne
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 9:30pm
quote:
Originally posted by defender
[br]I never thought that I would write in agreement with you.

I read your post and understand why you detest Robert's unsolicited e-mail asking for you to participate in an effort to save HOV. This is offensive, isn't it?

When he passes out his literature on a 31-degree sleeting morning at 0430, or at 7 PM in 97-degree heat, he meets everyone with the same, optimistic "Hello! I am Bob Lang and I have . . . " greeting. It is as if he doesn't know that we want good coffee in the morning and have homes to go to in the evenings.

He maintains a consistent message despite what others tell him. While he claims that Ms. Caddigan had the no parking signs put up on Interstate Drive, she says she didn't. He says he has the e-mail, she says that was her staff and not her. He gets threatened; she claims he is a kook. It is as if he knows the facts even as she runs for cover.

He is so in your face. He has written in the Washington Post, The Potomac News, The Manassas Journal, and the Free Lance-Star. And you can't get away from it. He even gets published in Philadelphia and Government Computer News. They contunue to publish his letters as if he is either well written, knowledgeable, or both. But we know he is none of this.

He has noted time and again that Single Occupancy Vehicle add to congestion and demands that the "Commonwealth" as he calls Virginia, end the HOV exceptions granted for certain SOVs. He refuses to grant a free pass, even to those who bought hybrids hoping to continue to drive solo on the HOV. He doesn't consider the large investment we made to get into an HOV-enabled SOV.

He is stupid, or oblivious, and ignores the threats made to him, his home, and his family. Why should he try to fight for others when they seem unable to fight for themselves? It does not make sense.

Do we agree? Should someone tell Robert Lang to stop or ban him from his activities?

quote:
[br]THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

*ahem*

Oh! Defender. That is tight. But the smaller minds won't get the finer point, now, will they?

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2005 at 10:16pm
DickBoyd pointed out via email that I have my "Email Poster" option enabled, so that's a good reminder for me to turn off that option.

Here was my response:

Thanks the for the tip. I will turn off that option.

Just because I accidentally (or maybe intentionally) left my front door unlocked, does not mean that I want unwelcome guests or even salesmen to enter my house. Maybe I forgot to lock the door, or maybe I left it open for the repair guy to let himself in.

Posted By: DaVetsAtHome
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2005 at 7:54am
Holycow!

You got an e-mail from Robert Lang? Asking that you go to a web-site and record you opposition to HOT? Any now you're crying and screaming, and peeing in your pants?

I can see why ... if you want HOT. I can see why ... if you are against slugging. I can see why ... if you are a lurker on this site, a paid or unpaid associate of Fluor or Clarke, and working to fight against those who are fighting for the ride-sharing commuter.

I am glad to have Robert send me an e-mail, twice in the course of a year. Was it unsolicited? Yes. Was it related to slugging? Yes. Was it SPAM? Not in my book and thus I am not suffering from a wedgie.

Hey, Robert, keep up the good work.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2005 at 8:20am
anyone who received an email needs to learn how to use their equipment before engaging in internet activities to include forum discussions it seems.

comparing receiving an email to someone entering your house without invitation is most definitely stretching things.

hope you have a lawyer on retainer to go after all those mailings you get in your physical mailbox...after all using your logic, unsolicited mailings are tantamount to breaking and entering.

WE MUST STOP THOSE MASS MAILING CRIMINALS.

GMAB...

NoSB

Posted By: manalangd
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2005 at 12:33pm
quote:
Originally posted by DaVetsAtHome
[br]

I am glad to have Robert send me an e-mail, twice in the course of a year. Was it unsolicited? Yes. Was it related to slugging? Yes. Was it SPAM? Not in my book and thus I am not suffering from a wedgie.

Hey, Robert, keep up the good work.

Well put. I wish some people on this board would overlook the minor inconveniences they've supposedly suffered and get the BIG PICTURE. No pain, no gain. Thank you for your efforts Robert. HOV MUST STAY!

David

Posted By: imaslug2
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2005 at 1:57pm
I assume these people who keep attacking RobertLangDirect are pro-HOT commuters who are just being nosy - this is why they come to this board. Come on people, if you really want to save HOV, a "spam" email with a good cause for the slugging community will not bother you a bit. Give Robert a break!

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2005 at 2:06pm
quote:
Originally posted by imaslug2
[br]I assume these people who keep attacking RobertLangDirect are pro-HOT commuters who are just being nosy - this is why they come to this board. Come on people, if you really want to save HOV, a "spam" email with a good cause for the slugging community will not bother you a bit. Give Robert a break!

Spam is still spam, even for a good cause. I should know.

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2005 at 3:48pm
quote:

Spam is still spam, even for a good cause. I should know.

Individual emails to people do not qualify as spam. The term has a meaning, and it's not "all unrequested email".

Look it up and you'll know more.

Posted By: undisclosed-email
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2005 at 5:57am
Received: from fiber (joelmathews.com[209.41.169.16](untrusted sender))
by rwcrmxc23...net (rwcrmxc23) with ESMTP
id <20050617023204r2300a10kre>; Fri, 17 Jun 2005 02:32:04 +0000
X-Originating-IP: [209.41.169.16]
Received: from mail pickup service by FIBER with Microsoft SMTPSVC;
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 22:26:40 -0400
To: ...
Subject: Sent From Slug-Lines.com Message Board by Undisclosed
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 22:26:40 -0400
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1441
Message-ID:
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 17 Jun 2005 02:26:40.0406 (UTC) FILETIME=[FE922360:01C572E3]

Hello

You received the following message from: Undisclosed (none@none.com)=20

At: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/

Hey, here's a hot stock tip: Invest in hybrid cars. If you think the =
exemption for them is going to be lifted, you are in a dream world. =
Guaranteed to make money.

Posted By: goober
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2005 at 10:55am
I don't know RLD personally, but I like RLD. RLD may be extreme but he's fighting for a good cause in killing HOT. Thanks RLD.

Goober

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2005 at 1:48pm
quote:
Originally posted by undisclosed-email
[br]Received: from fiber (joelmathews.com[209.41.169.16](untrusted sender))
by rwcrmxc23...net (rwcrmxc23) with ESMTP
id <20050617023204r2300a10kre>; Fri, 17 Jun 2005 02:32:04 <>

Godwin's law
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Godwin's law (also Godwin's rule of Nazi analogies) is an adage in Internet culture that was originated by Mike Godwin in 1990. The law states that:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

There is a tradition in many Usenet newsgroups that once such a comparison is made, the thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. In addition, it is considered poor form to invoke the law explicitly. Godwin's law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. Many people understand Godwin's law to mean this, although (as is clear from the statement of the law above) this is not the original formulation.

Nevertheless, there is also a widely-recognized codicil that any intentional invocation of Godwin's law for its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful. See "Quirk's exception" in Wikipedia.

dickboyd@aol.com

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2005 at 2:18pm
**snore**

Huh? Wha? Did somebody say something?

It was like, God's Law Wins? Huh?

No, leave me alone, let me sleep. You're all a bunch of sleep nazis who are irritating a tired old sponge...

**snore**

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2005 at 9:07pm
I'm offended my the Nazi reference. Dick should be ashamed.

Posted By: adjguy
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2005 at 3:18pm
Quick, someone call the ACLU. Someone was offended by content found on the world wide web.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 10:21am
ok, so it seems as if everyone likes RLD. I, myself, have no reason to hate him. He means well.

However, I won't take back my opinion that he does send out spam. That being said, it was my fault for leaving the "Email Poster" option on, when I signed up here. I have since turned off that option.

To address imaslug2's post about his/her assumption, I gotta say this. I love HOV, I am pro-HOV, I just think we should continue to use the message boards to get the word out.

I have participated in emails to our officials about HOV issues, but it was my emails to the officials, not to unsuspecting commuters. I got the list of email addresses from a local email list, consisting of people in the area where I work. Any slug/HOV related emails that I get from people in that list are ok, because I am voluntarily on that email list.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 10:25am
BTW, I don't understand those weird posts from dickboyd.

Posted By: uhura2
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 1:41pm
quote:
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by uhura.
[br]Being one who has had some difficultly on this board, I want to side with good ole Rob Lang. Please add me to your spam list uhura@trekky.com

When banned-but-still-here Uhura sides with you it is definitely time to reassess your behavior.

Wrong Uhura, intellitubby.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 1:54pm
quote:
[br]I had no idea that participating in this message board would open me to email spam. Unfortunately, it often appears that there is no moderator here to deal with this type of abuse.

Please consider this:

Spam is annoying; however, spam messages -by definition- are unwanted solicitations. Since Robert is sending info about stuff that affects slugs and drivers directly, shouldn't he be given some leeway here?

Besides all of that, there is an option to disable/enable email from the folks on this site...

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 2:52pm
quote:
Originally posted by shahedC
[br]BTW, I don't understand those weird posts from dickboyd.

Maybe I am wierd. [:D][8D][:D][:I][B)]

The point of comparing how many readers is to identify the audience. Of the 3,000 some members, there are only about 1,000 reads of any post. The controversial posts get the most reads. Controversial posts get the most responses. Lots of heat, very little light, in my opinion. More entertainment than action. Probably around 500 people read the "politcal posts" on a regular basis.

What is Virginia's populaton these days? Six million? What is the most effective way for 500 active slugs to influence six million people? By bickering among themselves? [:p]

That low read number tells me lurkers really aren't lurking. More likely, the 2,000 or so that don't read have a spam blocker set against slug-lines. com. If that is the case, that most subscribers don't read the posts, then this is not a very effective venue for getting political support for slugs or from slugs.

Judging by the activity identifying slug pick up and drop off points and the activity in trying to find a ride, the primary purpose of this site is ride matching. There also seems to be a fair amount of activity in lost and found even though that feature doesn't get much publicity.

I suspect that many of the 2,000 non-readers would have opted out of slug-lines.com or would have set their preferences differently had they investigated Snitz 2000 more closely.

Navy Yard's ride matching seems to be more active and more effective in identifying ride matches. Any other opinions? Any other successful matching sites?

I use Navy Yard only as a geographic identifier, not as an indication that an employer supports slugging. [:)]

Speaking of employers, Places that have successful slug lines have employers that support ride sharing. Preferred parking, ride matching bulletin boards for ride matching, METRO check, electronic bulletin boards, feature stories in the company paper and other employee incentives. What does your employer do to promote slugging? What do you do to promote slugging? What does your church do to promote slugging? What does your son's or your daughter's school do to promote slugging?

In my opinion, if slugs want support, look to the employers. Look to 3M, Oak Ridge, Texaco, the railroads, Chrysler or Pendlernetz as examples of employer supported ride sharing. Uncongested travel is truly an employee benefit. [:)]

Politically, in my opinion, Shirley Highway regular lanes are truly interstate and as such should be federally funded. The reversible lanes are commuter lanes and as such should be financed locally. Local commuter traffic makes the regular lanes unusable for interstate commerce about 6 hours a day. Local governments should ramp meter, promote ride sharing and charge congestion fees on the regular lanes instead of building more lanes and expect to get a different reaction from commuters.

I also think there are about a hundred or so lurkers from VRE, METRO and various government agencies on this site. There may even be a politcal lurker or two.

Occasionally, lurkers disrupt the focus by introducing some extraneous factor. Such as picking on Uhura. [;)]

Stay focused on getting passengers and drivers for slug lines. Get enough passengers and congestion problems are solved. Put someone in charge of getting passengers. Stop poaching slugs.

If this is to be a political discussion, learn some of the technical factors of transportation. D factor, k factors and how to use them in planning, for instance. Learn the EIS process. Learn what MPOs are supposed to do and why they don't do it.

dickboyd@aol.com

Posted By: sstran
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 3:10pm
quote:

You are truly an idiot, and probably the same person I hear complaining about the Hybrids and the HOV lanes being clogged with traffic. Instead of complaining about getting an email that is trying to help us sluggers ( you're one, or you wouldn't be on this site) why not spend your energy and write VDOT regarding your opposition to HOT. And, if you don't like getting email that will makes an attempt to help you, then get off this meesage board! Better still, why not ride in the regular lanes and sit in traffic for three hours every morning. Then you wouldn't have to worry about any sluggers sending you spam! Duh!

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2005 at 3:36pm
Dick, tangent: What can you tell me about slugging from the Navy Yard?

Thanks!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net