Print Page | Close Window

Ft Belvior

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1776
Printed Date: 28 Jun 2024 at 4:11pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ft Belvior
Posted By: uhura2
Subject: Ft Belvior
Date Posted: 12 May 2005 at 10:31am
I would like to drive from Woodbridge to Ft. Belvior using the HOV in the a.m.

Does anyone know if there are slugs @ Horner Road who go to Springfield, and if so-which location is the closest drop off point to Ft. Belvior?

Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 12 May 2005 at 10:41am
You could HOV to the Franconia-Springfield exit and drop slugs off at the Metro station near Springfield Mall, then turn south off the Parkway onto Beulah Street to Ft B.

Not sure if there are any slugs in Woodbridge who look for rides to Springfield Metro, however. [:(]

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]

Posted By: Baz
Date Posted: 12 May 2005 at 10:49am
I used to work/drive to Ft Belvior just using the regular lanes of 95 and not use HOV. It usually took 45 minutes. Im not sure if using the HOV up to Springfield and back-tracking to Ft Belvior would be any faster.

Date Posted: 12 May 2005 at 11:06am
quote:
Originally posted by Baz
[br]I used to work/drive to Ft Belvior just using the regular lanes of 95 and not use HOV. It usually took 45 minutes. Im not sure if using the HOV up to Springfield and back-tracking to Ft Belvior would be any faster.

That's a very good point...

What about using Rte 1. Does it suck @ 6:15-6:30 a.m.?

Date Posted: 12 May 2005 at 12:10pm
I would get on 95N at Dale Blvd or PWP around 7AM. Once finally merging onto 95 (very slowly) I would take the RT1 N exit. Route 1 is also very slow at that time of morning - it breaks here and there where you can actually get up to speed. But overall, an hour commute from Dale City to Belvior is common.

Posted By: pplmvrs
Date Posted: 12 May 2005 at 3:46pm
When I worked at Ft. Belvoir I always took Rt. 1
I think it was easier than going to Springfield first

Posted By: adjguy
Date Posted: 12 May 2005 at 7:10pm
If you leave Woodbridge after 530am, your looking at solid gridlock from Dale Blvd to the RT1 Exit.

You could jump on the omni bus at horner, take it to springfield, and jump on a Metrobus or Fairfax County Bus to Ft. Belvoir. Think the bus ride to Metro is about a buck or so, I dont know. It may take you longer, but you will not have to do any driving or put your car through the grueling idoling traffic mess we call Woodbridge.

Date Posted: 13 May 2005 at 12:43pm
quote:
Originally posted by adjguy
[br]If you leave Woodbridge after 530am, your looking at solid gridlock from Dale Blvd to the RT1 Exit.

You could jump on the omni bus at horner, take it to springfield, and jump on a Metrobus or Fairfax County Bus to Ft. Belvoir. Think the bus ride to Metro is about a buck or so, I dont know. It may take you longer, but you will not have to do any driving or put your car through the grueling idoling traffic mess we call Woodbridge.

SOunds like a good idea, but how would I make the trip from the gate to the building I work in? it's a few miles.

Date Posted: 13 May 2005 at 2:10pm
quote:
Originally posted by RobertLangDirect
[br]Now that the BRAC says they are moving 15,000 more to Ft Belvoir, how do you think they will get there?

Good question...what do you think?

Date Posted: 13 May 2005 at 2:16pm
Im sure they will be phased in. I doubt they will all show up at the gate one morning. But staying on the negative side of the issue, that area is already a parking lot...so when these new folks arrive - when in Rome.

Posted By: wdossel
Date Posted: 13 May 2005 at 4:08pm
I'm thinking the eastern part of PWC just got (another) boost in housing demands (see also all the relocations to Quantico)...

- Will

Posted By: ohio 7
Date Posted: 16 May 2005 at 11:16am
According to Saturday's Post 18,000 will be moved/hired to Ft. Belvoir of which about 5000+ will be at the new Army hospital which will replace Walter Reed.

I work for an agency that is developing the new Army Museum and I just went there on Friday to visit the temporary office. When it is done 14 June 2011 there will be about another 100 folks moving there. We have plans to build in one of five places along Rt. 1. Just wait till you see all of the trafic from tourists trying to navigate off the beaten path to see our museum!!

I noticed that they are widening Rt.1 south of the post but I really don't think it will accommodate the crowds from workers and tourists. I'll be retired by Jan 2009 and have my house on the market at this time that year - goodbye gridlock - I'm moving far away to Ohio where we have roads to handle the traffic and don't over-develop!

Another 3013 will be moved/hired to Quantico. How many will be coming from Maryland and DC and clogging up the neighborhoods trying to get to Belvoir? This is going to be a real nightmare!

Posted By: WBSlug7
Date Posted: 16 May 2005 at 2:39pm
The news last night mentioned a proposal to extend the Blue Line to Ft. Belvoir to accomodate the expected influx of workers/commuters. Of course IF that passes it will be another 5-10 years before anything happens. Wouldn't it be nice if the Blue Line went all the way to Woodbridge?

Uhura, I'd take Rt. 1 as well, via Horner Rd or whatever is closest to you. My husband takes back roads all the way up until he gets towards Springfield, unless he sees that 95 is moving, which 9/10 times it isn't.

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!

Date Posted: 16 May 2005 at 3:06pm
What about 123-Lorton Rd-Rte 1?

- Will

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 16 May 2005 at 5:19pm
Let's get the Ft Belvoir bandwagon rolling! [:D]
Because of the 12-14,000 more federal employees relocating to Ft Belvoir, we will soon need HOV-3 lanes on Rt 1, the Fairfax County Parkway, Beulah Street, and Telegraph Road! [;)]

Go ahead and put those HOT toll lanes on I-95 and I-395. [}:)]
Not many will use them, because everyone will be looking for an easy commute to Ft Belvoir! [:p]

Keep on sluggin! [:)]

Date Posted: 16 May 2005 at 8:35pm
I think im going to invest in one of those ultra lite planes.

Forget driving, im flying. Belvoir has a big parade field, I could land there[:p]

Date Posted: 17 May 2005 at 7:50am
quote:
Originally posted by adjguy
[br]I think im going to invest in one of those ultra lite planes.

Forget driving, im flying. Belvoir has a big parade field, I could land there[:p]

When I was stationed at NAS Norfolk, our hangars were on the waterside of the field (old sea plane hangars). Willoughby Spit (a finger of land) was about 2 miles across the bay by boat from the hangars and one of my (not so) bright mechs decided he'd just motor over in his boat to commute. The rather large party of station police and special security detachment that met him at the seaplane ramp was not very amused nor receptive to that idea...

- Will

Date Posted: 17 May 2005 at 12:13pm
quote:
Originally posted by WBSlug7
[br]The news last night mentioned a proposal to extend the Blue Line to Ft. Belvoir to accomodate the expected influx of workers/commuters. Of course IF that passes it will be another 5-10 years before anything happens. Wouldn't it be nice if the Blue Line went all the way to Woodbridge?

Uhura, I'd take Rt. 1 as well, via Horner Rd or whatever is closest to you. My husband takes back roads all the way up until he gets towards Springfield, unless he sees that 95 is moving, which 9/10 times it isn't.

Thanks for the tip, WB. Any intel about the looks of Rte 1 going from Woodbridge to Ft. Bel @ around 6:15 a.m. (Mon-Fri)?

Date Posted: 17 May 2005 at 12:15pm
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE
[br]Let's get the Ft Belvoir bandwagon rolling! [:D]
Because of the 12-14,000 more federal employees relocating to Ft Belvoir, we will soon need HOV-3 lanes on Rt 1, the Fairfax County Parkway, Beulah Street, and Telegraph Road! [;)]

Go ahead and put those HOT toll lanes on I-95 and I-395. [}:)]
Not many will use them, because everyone will be looking for an easy commute to Ft Belvoir! [:p]

Keep on sluggin! [:)]

DE, I know that you are saying this "tongue in cheek" but I think you may be onto something...Those dumbbots in The Building needed to consider how everyone is going to travel down the two lane nightmare that is Rte 1 in order to get to Ft. Bel....

Posted By: Wagonman
Date Posted: 17 May 2005 at 3:21pm
quote:
Originally posted by wdossel
[br]What about 123-Lorton Rd-Rte 1?

- Will

Lorton Rd. is under construction and gets pretty jammed up at times. Also, at night the backup at the light to turn from Lorton Rd. to 123 gets to be a mile long. You also have construction delays on 123 but those don't usually happen at rush hour.

Is it true that Ft. Belvoir has no internal busing? I know the REX (Richmond highway Express) enters the base but I'm not sure how much it drives through the base. Plus, the REX doesn't go to the Springfield metro. If all these job transfers do go through the state is going to need to speed up the rebuilding of route 1. So far the only spot that has been done is right near Lorton Rd. A one mile section out of how many? If the feds go through with this they better fund a bunch of transportation projects to accomodate this growth. I won't hold my breath.

Date Posted: 17 May 2005 at 5:41pm
quote:
Originally posted by uhura2
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by WBSlug7
[br]The news last night mentioned a proposal to extend the Blue Line to Ft. Belvoir to accomodate the expected influx of workers/commuters. Of course IF that passes it will be another 5-10 years before anything happens. Wouldn't it be nice if the Blue Line went all the way to Woodbridge?

Thanks for the tip, WB. Any intel about the looks of Rte 1 going from Woodbridge to Ft. Bel @ around 6:15 a.m. (Mon-Fri)?

Uhura,

Rt 1 in Woodbridge after 545am is a parking lot, in particular if you live south of Opitz Road. That has generally been the time of no return. As long as you get over the Occacuan Bridge by 545 and away from the Woodbridge jumble, your good to go.

Posted By: tri2dc
Date Posted: 18 May 2005 at 7:18am
Uhura2 - are you the real Uhura or just a spin off?

Date Posted: 18 May 2005 at 8:29am
quote:
Originally posted by tri2dc
[br]Uhura2 - are you the real Uhura or just a spin off?

Tri, why do you ask?

Posted By: tri2dc
Date Posted: 18 May 2005 at 8:53am
The entire Uhura Story on this message board is interesting. Just wondered if you were the "one"

Date Posted: 18 May 2005 at 12:19pm
quote:
Originally posted by tri2dc
[br]The entire Uhura Story on this message board is interesting. Just wondered if you were the "one"

You find the story interesting...OK-LOL

Well, if you must know I am the one....

What would you like to know?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net