Print Page | Close Window

finally saw the Ford Hybrid this morning

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: Archived Slugging Topics
Forum Name: Hybrids
Forum Description: This area is devoted to the discussion of hybrid vehicles and their impact to the HOV.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1463
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 4:16pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: finally saw the Ford Hybrid this morning
Posted By: qorc
Subject: finally saw the Ford Hybrid this morning
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2005 at 7:04am
one of those Ford SUVs with hybrid tags in the 95 HOV lanes. It looked odd to see something that big with hybrid plates. Yup, times they are a-changin'.

Replies:
Posted By: dixeedog
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2005 at 7:35am
djfkl

Posted By: SpongeBob
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2005 at 10:50am
And I sat at a light behind a Ford Taurus SES with CF plates.

Yeah, like it gets better mileage than a 1999 Civic Coupe.

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2005 at 3:13pm
quote:
Originally posted by qorc
[br]one of those Ford SUVs with hybrid tags in the 95 HOV lanes. It looked odd to see something that big with hybrid plates. Yup, times they are a-changin'.

I saw one yesterday qorc. It does look odd, but it looks just as strange with only one person sitting in there.

Posted By: MDC
Date Posted: 14 Jan 2005 at 3:47pm
quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBob
[br]And I sat at a light behind a Ford Taurus SES with CF plates.

Yeah, like it gets better mileage than a 1999 Civic Coupe.

I bet the Taurus' emissions would put every hybrid to shame.

Posted By: terratoo
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2005 at 12:48pm
I heard that there are some Hybrid vehicles that are actually not HOV-eligible. Anyone else heard this?

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2005 at 1:24pm
qorc,
I saw a silver/gray Ford Escape hybrid a couple of weeks ago about 4:30 PM in the Pentagon parking lot, and it had 3 SOBs (Souls On Board).
It had Va temp tags and was headed directly toward the HOV lanes.
Way to go, Escape hybrid driver!
Anybody seen the Lexus hybrid yet?
Keep on sluggin'! [:)]

Posted By: getmehome pweeze
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2005 at 1:50pm
lexus hybrid PREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETY!!!

:'}

Posted By: Subaru
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2005 at 2:12pm
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE
qorc,
I saw a silver/gray Ford Escape hybrid a couple of weeks ago about 4:30 PM in the Pentagon parking lot, and it had 3 SOBs (Souls On Board).
It had Va temp tags and was headed directly toward the HOV lanes.
Way to go, Escape hybrid driver!
Anybody seen the Lexus hybrid yet?
Keep on sluggin'! [:)]

Probably because he realized its against the HOV laws to drive in the HOV lanes without a CF plate. I have seen many driving thorugh with 30 day tags and that is illegal. You MUST have Virginia CF plates. Even if your going from NY to FL and going through Virginia in your prius, you CANNOT hop on the HOV lanes.

-Rob

Posted By: qorc
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2005 at 3:00pm
got a neighbor who has a Prius, has never got the CF tags, and for 2 years, has never been pulled over.

actually, I can't remember the last time I even SAW enforcement in the mornings.

Posted By: terratoo
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2005 at 3:16pm
True that, gorc. Where are our state boys keeping the streets clean of HOV violators??

Posted By: scottt
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2005 at 4:40pm
Don't understand the Escape Hybrid. They (car magazines) estimated it would take 8 years (think that was the final number) to make up the $$$ difference (in paying the extra amount over the regular Escape) in the gas savings.....

Ok, you get into the HOV lanes, but that's a high membership fee for something that is (hopefully) going away in '06

Posted By: Wagonman
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2005 at 5:14pm
quote:
Originally posted by terratoo
[br]I heard that there are some Hybrid vehicles that are actually not HOV-eligible. Anyone else heard this?

Everything that I've read seems to say the state doesn't have the authority to allow some hybrids but not others. I think that is a strange interpretation of the law, but it seems to be what all the "powers that be" believe.

Posted By: Subaru
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2005 at 7:01am
quote:
Originally posted by Wagonman
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by terratoo
[br]I heard that there are some Hybrid vehicles that are actually not HOV-eligible. Anyone else heard this?

Everything that I've read seems to say the state doesn't have the authority to allow some hybrids but not others. I think that is a strange interpretation of the law, but it seems to be what all the "powers that be" believe.

Well I "heard" that the new accord hybrid wasnt going to be allowed CF plates.

-Rob

Posted By: Baz
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2005 at 8:21am
Its been a long time since Ive seen HOV enforcement. I cant imagine the police looking for temporary tags on cars to pull people over when they cant even enforce not having 3 people in a car. Theres so much more money the state could be making by ticketing HOV violators. Why theyre not out there more dumfounds me.

Posted By: kgirl
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2005 at 8:48am
SluDge,
Can I just say, very clever on the SOB!
So it doesn't matter that they will not issue any more CF tags since the Law doesn't look for them? hmpf.

Posted By: sluDgE
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2005 at 10:17am
kgirl,
Thank you..... and "SOBs" can also mean "Slugs On Board".
Have a great weekend, and
Keep on sluggin'! [;)]

Posted By: Wagonman
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2005 at 1:38pm
quote:

Well I "heard" that the new accord hybrid wasnt going to be allowed CF plates.

-Rob

This is a link to the report on HOV congestion. http://www.virginiadot.org/infoservice/resources/HOV%20Task%20Force%20Report%201-4-05.pdf
In this report(page 10 of 12, or page 16 of the PDF) they state that state law or current policy doesn't allow discrimination with issuing CF plates. Either all hybrids or no hybrids get the plates. Now, if it is just policy, that can change rather easily. But I doubt DMV or DEQ is going to jump into the fray and put themselves in the line of sight of hybrid opponents or proponents by making a policy change. The change is going to need to come from the legislature or be forced on the state by the feds.
BTW, I hope you are correct, and I'm wrong.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net