Print Page | Close Window

"Take Three" Etiquette

Printed From: Slug-Lines.com
Category: General Slugging Questions and Comments
Forum Name: General Slugging Topics
Forum Description: This is the area for all general slugging comments. To add a comment simply create a new topic or see FAQ for detailed information on how to post comments.
URL: http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1012
Printed Date: 17 May 2024 at 1:34am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: "Take Three" Etiquette
Posted By: Admin
Subject: "Take Three" Etiquette
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 6:34am
I received the following email regarding taking three slugs instead of the normal two. I tend to agree but would like the slugging community to comment.

"I have been slugging for four years and a new trend is starting to develop that needs to be nipped in the bud. Many slugs are asking drivers to "take three". This is selfish on the slug's part and can put the system out of balance. The driver normally doesn't want to be seen as a jerk, so he agrees to take extra slugs. This leaves fewer slugs for later drivers, who then have to wait longer to get their slugs. The ONLY time it would be appropriate to ask a driver to "take three" is when things are way out of balance. If there are 50 slugs in line, it's after 5:30 PM, and there is one car, go ahead and ask. Otherwise, let the system work!"

Replies:
Posted By: DC2RV
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 7:23am
It's all a matter of perspective. If I've been standing there for a long time, if the weather's bad, or if the line is long, (and if I'm the 3rd person), I'll ask if the driver will take 3. If he/she says no, c'est la vie.

This writer seems to be absolutely certain of a number of assumptions:

1. There will be later drivers for all of the slugs.
2. That the # of drivers and slugs remains constant.
3. And given #s 1 & 2, that it's imperative for drivers to find riders, but not necessarily vice versa.

Posted By: vabigblue
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 7:31am
I have mixed feelings about this issue. I don't see a problem with slugs asking drivers to take three and I certainly don't see a problem with the drivers saying "no", after all, they own the vehicle and, at that point the decision maker. On the other hand, as the writer states, timing and supply and demand is the real issues here. If it's close to HOV closing down, then its appropriate to ask and it doesn't necessarily have to be 50 slugs waiting, it can be 10 with two vehicles picking up slugs. I say take three if you have the space. But with 6 cars in line and 15 slugs, by all means leave enough for the next car.

Posted By: glacier
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 8:36am
Admin,

Good morning. I tend to agree with both DC2RV and VA, it should not be a problem to ask. I think most drivers have more of a backbone then you may be giving them credit for. Saying no in a polite manner is easy. "No thank you, just two please."

I agree that asking for 3 should only be done in certain situations, but it needs to be the call of the slugs and drivers present at that situation to make the call. For anyone to try to make an all encompassing list would be a wasted effort.

I think it's great that you addressed it; situational awarenes and common sense should rule. Thanks.

Cheers,

Glacier

Posted By: emancilla
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 8:57am
Sometimes slugs don't even have to ask. The driver offers to take three and it's kind of them.

Posted By: avalanche22
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 9:13am
Glacier

Good answer. I don’t see a problem taking 3 if the lines long. I know in the summer the lines are a lot longer. I’ve been in a few lines last year where the line was wrapped around the building. Being at the back of that line and its already 5:25 is a scary feeling. You never know if there be a string of cars coming to pick up slug at 5:30. So for that situations I say yes. Take as many as you can. It’s all up to the driver anyway.

Does anybody know how many people slug daily?

Posted By: Max_28756
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 9:20am
It looks like in the summer, the lines are always long. If we don't ask, some of us may be stuck with "guaranteed ride home". I know that from where I slug (Rt 17 Fredericksburg) there are a number of people who take the bus in and slug home. The balance is already thrown off in this case. The bottom line is, we all want to get to and from work as quickly (without speeding) as possible.

Posted By: Oso99
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 9:32am
On a related note.... as a driver, I'd like to ask sluggers to not stand around like a "lump of coal" at the Pentagon. There are many times when lines (especially Horner) are stacked with a dozen + cars, and with lots of slugs in line, yet sluggers wait for each car to pull up to the sign before they even approach it. We all want to get home, so be proactive!

If you don't want to lose your place in line, post a sign readable to drivers who can signal you, don't just stand there and let the cars stack up and block everything!!!

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 10:03am
Well said OSO! It's because of the long loading time at the Pentagon, for Horner, that I take the bus.

Cheers,

Glacier

Posted By: slugbug
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 10:07am
You are RIGHT OSO!!!! I get soooo angry in the car sometimes at the Pentagon.......that I just want to get out the car and yell START WALKING DOWN!!!! WHY ARE YA'LL JUST STANDING THERE???? UUGGGHHHHH!!! It's comical that NO ONE seems to get it.....I thought it was common sense.....they do it at Potomac Mills/Horner Road...so why won't they walk down at the Pentagon??? Puzzling. [:I]

quote:
Originally posted by Oso99
[br]On a related note.... as a driver, I'd like to ask sluggers to not stand around like a "lump of coal" at the Pentagon. There are many times when lines (especially Horner) are stacked with a dozen + cars, and with lots of slugs in line, yet sluggers wait for each car to pull up to the sign before they even approach it. We all want to get home, so be proactive!

If you don't want to lose your place in line, post a sign readable to drivers who can signal you, don't just stand there and let the cars stack up and block everything!!!

Posted By: mirangus
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 10:37am
quote:
Originally posted by glacier
[br]Admin,

Good morning. I tend to agree with both DC2RV and VA, it should not be a problem to ask. I think most drivers have more of a backbone then you may be giving them credit for. Saying no in a polite manner is easy. "No thank you, just two please."

I agree that asking for 3 should only be done in certain situations, but it needs to be the call of the slugs and drivers present at that situation to make the call. For anyone to try to make an all encompassing list would be a wasted effort.

I think it's great that you addressed it; situational awarenes and common sense should rule. Thanks.

Cheers,

Glacier

One thing I would ask, if this is the case. If a driver says no, they can't take a third...check your attitude. I cannot tell you how many times, when my seat was full and I could not take a third, I've gotten rolled eyes, evil stares, sighs, under-the-breath mutterings and other assorted guilt trips. It sure would be nice if the statement that it's the "driver's car" and what they say goes were true. But more and more, it sure feels otherwise. It feels like my preferences as a driver are such an inconvenience on humanity as a whole. Enough with the guilt trips. They just make me want to rebel and say no all the time, out of spite. That's how much that annoys me!! Please people, no means no, quit making people feel bad because you don't get your own way. That's SO 5 years old!! Thanks!

Posted By: wdossel
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 11:09am
quote:
Originally posted by slugbug
[br]You are RIGHT OSO!!!! I get soooo angry in the car sometimes at the Pentagon.......that I just want to get out the car and yell START WALKING DOWN!!!! WHY ARE YA'LL JUST STANDING THERE???? UUGGGHHHHH!!! It's comical that NO ONE seems to get it.....I thought it was common sense.....they do it at Potomac Mills/Horner Road...so why won't they walk down at the Pentagon??? Puzzling. [:I]

quote:
Originally posted by Oso99
[br]On a related note.... as a driver, I'd like to ask sluggers to not stand around like a "lump of coal" at the Pentagon. There are many times when lines (especially Horner) are stacked with a dozen + cars, and with lots of slugs in line, yet sluggers wait for each car to pull up to the sign before they even approach it. We all want to get home, so be proactive!

May be it's time to split the PM/Horner line at Pentagon?

- Will

Posted By: avalanche22
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 11:22am
I Picked up one time from Pentagon. I thought it was a zoo. I told myself I never come back to pentagon again. This was year ago.

Posted By: mycroftt
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 11:31am
I tend to agree that each driver should only take 2 slugs under normal circumstances. When I'm slugging I only ask a driver to take 3 under extreme circumstances. When I'm driving I pull up to the line and call out "2 for *destination*". Under the dire circumsatnces that everyone else has already described I'll call out for 3.

Mike

Posted By: tondalea
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 1:18pm
I just wanted to say that I agree with you OSO99. I hate it when the person in the front of the line in the morning stands and waits for the cars to approach them instead of walking the line. There have been times when I being 3rd or 4th in line have had to just go ahead and do it myself.

Posted By: makinalivin
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 1:39pm
quote:
Originally posted by mirangus
[br]
quote:
[br]Admin,

Cheers,

Glacier

One thing I would ask, if this is the case. If a driver says no, they can't take a third...check your attitude. I cannot tell you how many times, when my seat was full and I could not take a third, I've gotten rolled eyes, evil stares, sighs, under-the-breath mutterings and other assorted guilt trips. It sure would be nice if the statement that it's the "driver's car" and what they say goes were true. But more and more, it sure feels otherwise. It feels like my preferences as a driver are such an inconvenience on humanity as a whole. Enough with the guilt trips. They just make me want to rebel and say no all the time, out of spite. That's how much that annoys me!! Please people, no means no, quit making people feel bad because you don't get your own way. That's SO 5 years old!! Thanks!

You are so right mirangus! I also think if slugs were to set their expecations at two, a lot of problems would be solved. TWO. That's all. Believe it or not, it used to be that way. Oh-we have this guy in my line who got the nickname "Peeker." Every flipping car that comes onto the lot he stares down and no matter where he is in line, front, middle, or back, and no matter how many people are in line (over 2), he'll yell TAKE THREE!!!! One time however, I actually saw this guy drive (and only once) but do you know what he said when he drove up? I'll take two. Sure is different when the shoe is on the other foot.

Posted By: dietzf
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2004 at 2:00pm
I agree that it should be up to the driver whether or not to take more than two. I have been very grateful at times, as a slug, when a driver will let me squeeze in, especially when it is cold/rainy outside. I have a friend who will not take more than two no matter what.

Before I started riding with the same person every morning, we had a woman in our line whom we nicknamed "Heidi" because she has blond hair and carries a big rucksack - she would always yell out, "CAN THEY TAKE A THIRD!" in a loud, obnoxious voice that made all of us embarrassed to be standing near her.

This is probably a separate thread, but has the Pentagon pickup area improved? I stopped there about a year ago, and it was so out of control that I vowed never to return.

Posted By: VA_Slugger
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 2:27pm
Dietzf, I have to agree with you when it comes to people yelling out like that, it really is annoying. Another situation I personally do not care for is when the person directly behind me, or a person or two behind me, tells me to ask if they would take a third. Now I have my own opinion on this and I would rather not ask the driver to take a third but wait for the next ride. And like Mirangus, I would hear the snide remarks, the talking under the breath, and just plain rudeness of those who didn't get their way. When asked to ask the driver if they would take a third, I politely tell them if they wanted a third, they would ask for a third. Then I too get the nasty selfish looks. Oh well, life goes on [;)]

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 2:52pm
The thing that burns me up (in addition to the yelling) is when people 4,5,6 or more back attempt to get in a car as the 3rd when people in front of them don't get in. I tell them "the driver said 2" or there's a child seat, or whatever. Utterly clueless...

Posted By: tlschau
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2004 at 4:45pm
I think the bottom line is that any rider has the right to ask the driver to take a 3rd rider just as any driver has the right to refuse to do so. If the rider has a problem with the driver saying "no", then that's their problem, not the drivers.

BTW, this has been discussed before:

http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=762

Posted By: SlugBuddy
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2004 at 1:04pm
If the line is long or the weather is bad or it is close to 6 p.m. Then politely ask the driver if they will take a third. All they can do is say no, and then you will be helping out your fellow slugs but please do not yell from the back of the line to take three!! That is extremely rude!!

Posted By: Mrs.KLB
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2004 at 11:27am
I for one do not take more then the required number of riders,I have seen riders take 3 people and leaving one standing there hoping that someone else walks up going to the same destination.But in the end it is the driver preference how many riders he/she wants to take.

Mrs. B

Posted By: Mrs.KLB
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2004 at 11:39am
I guess I'm a little tuffer then most,the rolling of the eyes and talking under the breath doesn't bother me a bit, most of the people that rider with me are repeat riders so they already know,there was a lady at 14th street that ask me if I would take a 3rd and I replied no and she said something smart.The lady that was getting in the front seat has ridden with me quite a bit over the years, she let her know " Ma'am you don't want to go there with this lady" I am not a person to bite my tongue.[:p][:D]

quote:
Originally posted by mirangus
[br]
quote:
[br]Admin,

Cheers,

Glacier

Mrs. B

Date Posted: 14 Jun 2004 at 5:17pm
KLB-But what do you say to them? I typically don't hold back either, but them again, I'm a little person and I'm not trying to encite riot!! The resulting mob scene would be ugly... [:D] I started this a few weeks ago and it's worked OK so far. If I know for sure that I can't take three that day, I pull up and signal with my fingers that I will take two. I haven't had anyone challenge me on that yet, so I guess I'll stick with it. I'd probably loose passengers if someone DID challenge it, though. I could just see something smart slipping out, like "what...my request for only two NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU?!?!" Ha-ha-ha. I'll just sit here and hope I never have to find out, LOL. [:o)]

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2004 at 7:21am
You could try reciting the Monty Python Holy Handgrenade schtick - just change the number from 3 to 2.

"And 2 shall be the number of riders. Not 3, but 2. 1 is fine if thou progress to 2. 3 is right out." And if they insist on 3, then lobbest thee thy holy handgrenade of Antioch onto them and blow them, in thy mercy, to tiny bits...

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2004 at 7:55am
When's the most common times you see slugs asking drivers to take 3? Probably when there's a long line and; 1. the weather is bad; 2. when the time is approaching 5:30 - 5:45. I've seen drivers during the above times drive up and signal "3". Then again, drivers drive up and seem to wait for someone to ask to take 3 and they normally will. On the other hand, some drivers will only take 2 regardless of the weather or time. I just hope I'm not third in line when they drive up.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2004 at 2:43pm
quote:
Originally posted by DC2RV
[br]You could try reciting the Monty Python Holy Handgrenade schtick - just change the number from 3 to 2.

"And 2 shall be the number of riders. Not 3, but 2. 1 is fine if thou progress to 2. 3 is right out." And if they insist on 3, then lobbest thee thy holy handgrenade of Antioch onto them and blow them, in thy mercy, to tiny bits...

LOL!!!! I love it!! [:D]

Posted By: Rosebud
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2004 at 3:00pm
Have you ever wondered what would happen if you got into a car accident? Do you think your sluggers would sue you? If your insurance company knew you drove into DC with 3 strangers, would they raise your rates??

Bottom line: This is business, its not personal...

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2004 at 3:58pm
As opposed to two strangers???????????

Posted By: argentinian_belle
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2004 at 4:32pm
quote:
Originally posted by Rosebud
[br]Have you ever wondered what would happen if you got into a car accident? Do you think your sluggers would sue you? If your insurance company knew you drove into DC with 3 strangers, would they raise your rates??

Bottom line: This is business, its not personal...

Im sure the insurance company knows you are not the only one riding in your car... unless you have no family and/or friends

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2004 at 8:25am
Roadrunner,

I believe bartering is a business transaction.

Cheers,

Glacier

Posted By: pb1974
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2004 at 9:10am
This morning was the first time I have witnessed people getting irate over this. I was in the 14th St. line at Horner and there was a fairly long line of riders for 8am. I was 4th in line when a car (with only the driver inside) pulled up. Two people got in, and a woman from the middle of the line yelled to the man in front of me, "Ask if they'll take a 3rd! Geez!" The man obviously was not comfortable asking, but I guess one of the other riders asked and the driver said yes. So as he was getting in, this very rude lady said, "Come on people!! I'll bring a bunch of babies out here and they can show us how this is done!" I, for one, am really sick of people bringing their bad attitudes to the slug lines. If you want to ask, ask. If you don't, don't. If the driver wants to take a 3rd, fine. If not, fine. But give us all a break and keep comments like this to yourself...self-control is a sign of maturity, after all.

Posted By: mol
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2004 at 11:57am
Quite a while back when I used to slug to and from Potomac Mills, there was a woman in line who behaved the same way (I always saw her at the Pentagon line). She was way beyond being rude. Another woman walked over and quietly asked her would she do everyone a favor and the next time she slugged would she take a tranquilizer. The woman did not take it well, however, WE NEVER SAW HER AGAIN. What bliss! Thank goodness the vast majority of sluggers are normal and decent people.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2004 at 12:31pm
She was probably late for work. I don't know how she could show babies how to do it, cause she certainly does not know. She appears to be just rude.

Posted By: pb1974
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2004 at 1:16pm
I'm sure she was late, too, va, but that's no excuse. I was running late also. But as the woman behind me said to me, if you're going to get that upset, get there earlier.

Posted By: Rosebud
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2004 at 5:24pm
The other day as I was pulling up to the slug at Horner, a lady in line yelled "will you take a third". I said "yes" and she immediately ran to the car and jumped in. Problem was there was about 25 people in front of her going to the same place. The slugs in line started heckling and the woman, obviously insenstive to it all remarked "I did the asking, not them". As a driver, I guess I could of asked her to get out of the car. I didn't because my role is to drive, not police the line.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 2:08pm
Yesterday PM, this lady, 2 spots behind me, tried to cut in front. What is wrong with these people?

Besides telling her that I and someone else in front of her were waiting for a ride to the same location, I gave her a really mean "evil eye". Not sure she got it, but I'm prepared if I see her do it again...

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 3:07pm
Well my question would be.....was the "asker" 100% wrong? A driver pulls up, gets two riders....the line is long or time is running short, etc......the driver nor the next person in line initiates the asking, so someone who is ready to go, further back in line, ask for his/her own gain. Are they completely wrong? Just curious, cause i've seen it happen before myself.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 3:16pm
In my opinion, of course they're wrong - who was in line first?

As far as your comment "someone who is ready to go", if you're in line, you're ready to go. Maybe the 3rd person saw the car was full, there was a child seat, whatever. People in back just need to be patient - their time will come.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 4:27pm
Slugbug,

It is 100%; it promotes anarchy in the line. If someone is that late, ask to move up. Yes, you may be told no, but its better than being RUDE. If I have to explain the anarchy bit, I will later, but most can see what would happen if it was an accepted practice.

Cheers,

Glacier

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2004 at 4:43pm
Okay, I can see the point. [8)]

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2004 at 7:46am
quote:
Originally posted by pb1974
[br]I'm sure she was late, too, va, but that's no excuse. I was running late also. But as the woman behind me said to me, if you're going to get that upset, get there earlier.

That's right, it's no excuse at all. This is the kind of rider who will talk on their cell phones all the way in or all the way home not to mention yelling at other slugs to get her a ride. Maybe she should be appointed to stand in front and yell "all aboard" when cars drive up.

Posted By: tri2dc
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2005 at 7:36am
This should answer your question

Posted By: werlau
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2005 at 7:23pm
It was mentioned previously that taking 3 slugs "upsets the balance" and leaves less riders for drivers later on. However, I have noticed that many drivers to/from Springfield/Pentagon routinely take a extra passengers both in the morning and afternoon. Wouldn't the balance still be the same in this case? And in many lines, the distribution of cars going to each lot is not equal. In the Springfield line at the Pentagon, it is a rare occasion to see a car asking for Daventry--thus can you blame the slugs in line for asking for a third rider? They shouldn't have to wait 20 minutes for a willing driver just to keep the balance for drivers that are leaving later on. Slugs don't know where the next car(s) is going and we want to get home just as quickly as the driver!

Posted By: 122582
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2005 at 7:41am
You're getting a free ride, a nap, time to read, etc.

Yelling at the driver, walking up and opening the door to ask if he or she will take 3 is plain rude.

It bugs me when the person in front takes 3, leaves one, and I have to wait.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net