Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new Daventry slugger

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugman17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new Daventry slugger
    Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 11:37am
Hi, I am a new slugger and had a few questions. I planned to use the Daventry line, as it is closest to my home.
1) Where exactly do I get in line at Daventry and where will the cars pick up? Do I just find the line, wait for a car, and hop in?
2) The Daventry line goes to the Pentagon, correct? Does it have any other destinations?
3) How do I get back to Daventry in the afternoon? It looks like there are multiple destinations from the Pentagon in the afternoon. Do drivers call out "Daventry?" Or do they just call out "Springfield," and I have to be content with getting dropped off at any one of the Springfield spots?
4) How well do the lines operate during the Holiday season? I planned on going Friday, Dec. 29th and figure many people will be out of work that day.
watawata View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watawata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 8:26am

Hi, I used to slug from/to Daventry (a few months ago), but I use Sydenstricker (to/from Pentagon) now.

1) I think there was a small sign on the right side of Hunter Villege near the intersection (looking towards intersection of Old Keene Mill), usually where cars start parking (right behind parking-prohibited zone).  When I was there in the morning (around 6:40-6:50am), usually zero to 5 or 6 riders were waiting (and sometimes drivers waiting, too).  And, yes, wait for a car and hop in.

2) Yes, it goes to Pentagon, but I believe it's stricly Pentagon (unless driver chooses to go elswhere).

3) Getting back to Daventry was a little challenge for me, and that is why I changed to Sydenstricker even though I have to drive extra 2-3 miles or so.  Although the website lists all Springfield destinations, in reality, I've only seen drivers going back to Sydenstricker and Rolling Valley.  Sydenstricker seems to be more active (quicker to find the driver).  So, what I had to do was to ask the Rolling Valley driver if he/she would be able to drop me off at St. Bernadette church parking lot on the right side of Old Keene Mill right before Hunter Villege/OKM intersection.  Most of the times, it worked, but some drivers don't take Old Keene Mill to Rolling Valley.  Yes, usually the driver calls out the desitination "Springfield" "Rolling Valley" (or the riders approach the car and ask).  There is a blue sign for Springfield at Pentagon afternoon pick-up area.  I asked some Daventry riders how they get back, and they told me usually take the Metro Bus (18G, H, J, P?) back. 

4) At Sydenstricker, Dec 18-22 was still okay (around 6:45-7:00am and 5:00-5:30pm at Pentagon); I didn't have to wait longer than 10 min both morning and afternoon.  At Daventry, I am not sure...

I hope other Springfied folks can add any more info :-)  Also there is a Springfield Slugline Facebook group.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic