Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New slugger from Stafford to DC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jneigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New slugger from Stafford to DC
    Posted: 30 Nov 2016 at 4:18pm
I've been commuting to DC for 3 years now via VRE and car (and I spend 3 hours each day in commuting). I've never slugged but I would like to see if I can. I live in Stafford (630) and need to get to McPherson Square, so I guess my points would be from Rt. 610 to NY Ave & 14th st. The issue is that I work for a private firm and these guys like to work until 6pm. [V]

If I can manage to get off at 5PM or round about that time, would slugging home still be possible for me? I am not taking the VRE in December so this would be a great time to give it a shot. If you have a similar route and can help me get acclimated to the routine, please let me know because I need all the help I can get!

~Joseph Neigh
"Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it." -Proverbs 3:27
KeithO View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeithO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 7:40am
Joe
If you have a E-ZPass Flex I suggest that you drive a few times and pick up slugs to get use to the routine. You can talk to them about the morning & afternoon routines - what are the good slug times, parking lot fill up, dropoff points, pickup points & times, etc.
December can be a little more tricky because of vacations & reduced work days. I think Stafford (Mine Road) serves Downtown DC.

KeithO
mklein View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mklein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 5:50pm
quote:
Originally posted by jneigh

I've been commuting to DC for 3 years now via VRE and car (and I spend 3 hours each day in commuting). I've never slugged but I would like to see if I can. I live in Stafford (630) and need to get to McPherson Square, so I guess my points would be from Rt. 610 to NY Ave & 14th st. The issue is that I work for a private firm and these guys like to work until 6pm. [V]

If I can manage to get off at 5PM or round about that time, would slugging home still be possible for me? I am not taking the VRE in December so this would be a great time to give it a shot. If you have a similar route and can help me get acclimated to the routine, please let me know because I need all the help I can get!

~Joseph Neigh
"Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it." -Proverbs 3:27

mklein View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mklein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 5:53pm
You may have already discovered this, but if you leave DC after 6:00, your best bet for slugging is to go to the Pentagon. You can usually get a ride there between 6:30 and 6:45 - If you can leave at 5:00, you should be OK slugging from DC...Originally posted by mklein

quote:
Originally posted by jneigh

~Joseph Neigh

mjmcnulty View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjmcnulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 7:40am
If after 6 pm you can still go to the Pentagon and get a ride to almost anywhere. There is a line by the entrance to HOV, by the bus stop. It's called the pity line. Make a sign for 610. Stand there in the evenings and hold up the sign, you will get a ride at some point. I picked up a rider there one Friday evening at 10pm, he said he normally only waits about 15 minutes when he's that late. But I would still check the 610 lines at the normal location first.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic