Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Increased traffic on HOV during the AM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spectrepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Increased traffic on HOV during the AM
    Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 11:37am
Is it just me or have the past two weeks seen a lot more traffic on the HOV? Most days last week as well as Monday and Tuesday of this week the HOV has been a mess. From Springfield to the Pentagon was 40 minutes this morning, it was raining, but still a trend. There seems to be a backup of stop and go from the Beltway to around Glebe then everything starts moving again. What am I missing?
SuTaRiCh View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuTaRiCh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2010 at 12:49pm
I am not a regular rider, but I share your feeling and mystification. This morning the main lines looked better nearly all the way up 395. There was no apparent reason for the delay (the rain just made it worse than usual). There doesn't seem to be a huge influx of traffic at the mixing bowl, nor is there a big exodus half way up. And yet.... we creep.

On the days I slug I do so because timing of an AM commitment means I get to work faster than my usual (and preferred) train. I am not so sure about that anymore....
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2010 at 11:42am
When it rains, alot more fender benders and the police are dealing with those instead of HOV enforcement. In the evening it is getting darker earlier and drivers can get away with police not being able to see if there are 3 people in the car.
mpatoka View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpatoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 8:50am
I'm glad it's not just me thinking the same thing. I understand the rainy days but I haven't seen any evidence of accidents or state trooper pullovers on the side that normally slow everything down inside the beltway. Maybe with daylight savings time, people are heading to work a little earlier than usual because it's getting light out earlier? It's just a little frustrating as I've been consistently getting to work about 5-10 minutes later than usual.
mdog View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 9:47am
Now that the Ohio Dr. is open and the Memorial bridge clusterf..k is (almost) no more, I think it starts with jams before/on 14th ST Bridge, and then quickly cascades all the way back to Shirlington, Duke St. and then Springfield.

One can only image what would happen with the addition of HOT traffic...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic