Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need input on Woodbridge toTysons commute

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beechbrook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need input on Woodbridge toTysons commute
    Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 1:07pm
After several years of driving to Arlington on 95 after 8 am on HOV, I'm taking a new job in Tysons. My start time is supposed to be 8 am but I may be able to start earlier after a couple of weeks.
I live in the mid-county are near Hoadly/PW Parkway/Davis Ford and have a hyrbrid. (To appease those of you that have a problem with that, in the past our family has used the care for car pools, slugs, or using HOV at the late end of restricted time.)

Question: Will 95 to the Beltway work better or can 28 to 66 to 495 be a possible alternative. If I leave at 6:30 am will I get to Tysons by 8 on an average day?

I will be very appreciative of any advice you can offer. Thanks

darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 1:21pm
You could take 123 most of the way there. Actually, when I used to live in vienna and had to go to tysons, there was a great little short cut from route 29 to route 7 that isn't used much. If you were to take that short cut plus 123, you could possibly do it in an hour and a half. Not a good route, but less stressful.
HOV3Slug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOV3Slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 2:03pm
Route 123 is good until you get to Braddock Road or even Zion Road. After that you need to know your way. Possibly 123 right on Zion, Left on Sideburn, right on Braddock road, left on Burke Station road, right on 236 left on ??? to route 50, right on 50 left on Gallows road and your there.

The other way you might want to consider is HOV lanes to the Pentagon (75MPH), work your way to I-66 west, go west on Route 7 and your there. The distance would appear to be longer but time wise it may be better. The Ballston crowd outbound to Tysons is an unknown to me. You might hit some traffic there too.

Try both and report back. Thanks.

PS - Going 28 to 66 is a receipe for death - or at least insanity. If you do go this route bring Marboro red pack and whiskey - it will numb the insanity and make death more tolerable.
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 8:30pm
Left on Prosperity...

Cross over 50, then cross over 29, go past Dunn Loring Metro, then left on Gallows.
beechbrook View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beechbrook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2007 at 11:18am
Thank you to all for the suggestions.

I think I'll try the 95 to 66 route to start. I think I can reach 66 at Glebe in 45 minutes from home and then take my chances on the traffic to Tysons.

I will keep the 123 directions handy and try them out homeward bound soon. I haven't traveled 123 in rush hour since it was finished down to the Occoquan bridge. Does it move any faster?

HOV3Slug, I appreciate the warning on 28 to 66. My dr would have a fit about the Marlboro's and the troopers frown on open bottles in the front seat!
darkprime View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2007 at 1:40pm
Yes, the extra lane(s) helped a lot.
VAwitch View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAwitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2007 at 9:58am
quote:
Originally posted by HOV3Slug
[br]The other way you might want to consider is HOV lanes to the Pentagon (75MPH), work your way to I-66 west, go west on Route 7 and your there. The distance would appear to be longer but time wise it may be better. The Ballston crowd outbound to Tysons is an unknown to me. You might hit some traffic there too.

This is what I used to do to get to work in McLean/Tysons (1997). It took 55-70mins in the morning, depending on if I got slugs both going to same spot, or a split load (I went to Pent, CC or Rosslyn). Afternoon, 66E to Rosslyn was the fastest way I could figure. I think then it was about 1.5hr, but I was moving for most of it.

Again, this was some years ago, and YMMV. And I lived at 95end of DC or down in Q section of DC, so similar commute to yours. GOOD LUCK & gratz on the new job!
ecarrgh View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecarrgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2007 at 3:49pm
quote:
Originally posted by beechbrook
[br]After several years of driving to Arlington on 95 after 8 am on HOV, I'm taking a new job in Tysons. My start time is supposed to be 8 am but I may be able to start earlier after a couple of weeks.
I live in the mid-county are near Hoadly/PW Parkway/Davis Ford and have a hyrbrid. (To appease those of you that have a problem with that, in the past our family has used the care for car pools, slugs, or using HOV at the late end of restricted time.)

Question: Will 95 to the Beltway work better or can 28 to 66 to 495 be a possible alternative. If I leave at 6:30 am will I get to Tysons by 8 on an average day?

ecarrgh View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecarrgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2007 at 3:52pm
Hi, I also work in the tyson area and was wondering if you were willing to car pool. I satrt work at 7.30am and get off at 3.30pm. The time showever are flexible. Let me know if you are interested.

quote:
Originally posted by ecarrgh
[br]
quote:
[br]After several years of driving to Arlington on 95 after 8 am on HOV, I'm taking a new job in Tysons. My start time is supposed to be 8 am but I may be able to start earlier after a couple of weeks.

mooreniecy8511 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooreniecy8511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 3:26pm
quote:

Hi, I also work in the tyson area and was wondering if you were willing to car pool. I satrt work at 7.30am and get off at 3.30pm. The time showever are flexible. Let me know if you are interested.

quote:

quote:

After several years of driving to Arlington on 95 after 8 am on HOV, I'm taking a new job in Tysons. My start time is supposed to be 8 am but I may be able to start earlier after a couple of weeks.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic