Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vocal Praying in Car

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ETC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vocal Praying in Car
    Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 9:21am
So what's everyone's take on someone who very vocally prays his morning prayers in the back of your car? I'm contemplating not picking this person up again in the future.
GetMeOffOLine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetMeOffOLine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 1:42pm
Well isn't the established etiquette, that you're not to talk unless the driver initiates conversation?

Personally I think that's very rude, to the driver. 395 is crazy enough as it is, without someone in the back seat being loud. I wouldn't blame you for not picking them up again. Yikes.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 5:53pm
Is this person trying to "Save" you?
Was there an animal sacrifice involved?
Is this person praying for something violent (EG, the death of a political figure) or absurd (EG, the ability to levitate cupcakes at will) to happen?
Does this person have an active, two way conversation with God, Satan, Allah, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, or his/her deity of choice?

I'd think that a prayer shouldn't take much longer than it takes for everyone to put their seatbelts on and for you to shift the car into gear and release the parking brake.

Wouldn't bother me in the least...

Now if they prayed after a driving maneuver, that's a different story. That'd put a smile on my face. :)
AngloAustrian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngloAustrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 12:34pm
I agree with Pele - no talking in the car unless the driver invites conversation. Praying would not constitute conversation (not with the driver, anyway).
Even then, politics and religion should be no-nos - and this would qualify as religion.

I would tolerate one sentence of praying ("May God help me get there alive") but if you're talking "God bless mom, and God bless Dad, and help me get my promotion," ad inf for 5 minutes or more, I would say that constitutes disregard of the slugging rules and grounds for not picking up.

Interesting problem, though!
ETC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ETC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 5:33am
Oh, I'd pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster most definitely. These were morning prayers that used to be quiet but last time almost sing songy. I appreciate religion and I understand Muslim religions require praying 5 times a day, but I am quite unsure how to politely ask someone to keep it private.
colossus911 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colossus911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 12:36pm
Your choice not to pick them up....you may want to consider your driving habits...he may not pray in all cars just yours.
GetMeOffOLine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetMeOffOLine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 1:25pm
quote:
Originally posted by AngloAustrian

I agree with Pele - no talking in the car unless the driver invites conversation. Praying would not constitute conversation (not with the driver, anyway).
Even then, politics and religion should be no-nos - and this would qualify as religion.

I would tolerate one sentence of praying ("May God help me get there alive") but if you're talking "God bless mom, and God bless Dad, and help me get my promotion," ad inf for 5 minutes or more, I would say that constitutes disregard of the slugging rules and grounds for not picking up.

Interesting problem, though!

This is true, technically it's not true "conversation" but still, the overarching rule that I've always understood, is that if you are a rider, you're to stay quiet until or unless the driver says something first. If I were the driver, I'd find it distracting and not be too happy about that.

If folks want to pray, fine, but they need to do it quietly and not distract the driver or other riders. It's about courtesy and respect for others.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic