Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Holding place in line (19th & F)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holding place in line (19th & F)
    Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 2:27pm
I've been slugging for 13 years. I've heard of this happening, however this was a first for me.

Friday afternoon (10/25) at the 19th and F pickup. I'm about 9th in line. Guy coming to the line from the north stops and talks with the woman directly in front of me. He stays there talking with her as the line progresses. There were probably 20 - 30 people in line at this time. I figured when she got a ride, he'd continue on his journey.

Car showed up, she was #1 in line, I was second. I asked her if she'd like the front or back, she said back, so I got in the front. The driver had some stuff in the rear passenger seat on the right side (she specifically said 2 riders). The guy tried to get into the back seat (on the right). The woman said that they were together. I informed her that you can't "save a place in line" for someone. The poor driver didn't know what was going on. It took a few minutes of "you can't do that" so the woman in the back got out, and another person got in. All this time both the woman and the guy were saying things to me such as they were together, my life would be better if I was more flexible, etc.

I have no idea if the other people in line allowed the two of them to go next or not. I'm glad the driver had some stuff in the back, as I'm sure the guy would have gotten in and stayed there if he could of.
GetMeOffOLine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetMeOffOLine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 10:02am
Scottt,

That has happened to me before too, and when I have told folks that I was in line first, then all of a sudden, I'm Captain Evil or something. I dunno what is going on anymore, but the way I was raised, you wait your turn in line, and you don't cut in line. That is rude. I'm glad you stood your ground. I'm sure those folks made those comments because they had a guilty conscience and were embarrassed that you called them out on it. Good for you!!! :)
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 7:17am
Yeah - that's pretty lame and good for you for saying something. Did others in line support you or did they just obliviously stand there?
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 8:11am
Not sure if the others in line were doing or saying anything. I was in a Honda Civic coupe (low roof-line) and I'm tall, so I couldn't see people's faces. I hope the others didn't allow the line cutter to get into a car…...
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetMeOffOLine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2013 at 10:04am
Some established lines will help police for line cutting; I know the Pentagon does it quite well. Rolling Valley does it fairly well after 7:00. I've experienced some line cutting between 6:00-7:00 at RV, a few people will tell folks that they're not next in line, but not always. The drivers are really good at it too, which is nice.
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 4:24pm
This has happened to me too. A man sent a co-worker (secretary?) out to stand in line for him at 19th & F. As we got closer to the front, she asked if I would hold her place while she went back to her office. I agreed not knowing she was holding the place for a co-worker. When she came back with him, she pointed to me and he tried to butt in line. We argued and I told the woman I did not agree to hold his place. If she wasn't taking the ride, I was next in line for a ride.

What used to be a system built on patience is getting bad because a few think they have the right to change the rules.

New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetMeOffOLine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 9:07am
Jody, wow. That is beyond entitled. But again, good for you for standing your ground. Some folks just think they are above the rules. Gotta love DC..... [V]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic