Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Since slugging has been around 30+ years...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirdbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Since slugging has been around 30+ years...
    Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 9:05am
...if any of you were slugging back in the 70s, what happened to the slug lines then?

Did they dry up? Am I imagining getting to slug in and home each day?

Also, drivers striking won't work, we slugs are too flexible, we'll just give up and drive in ourselves. That's why the slugline works "slugs" are flexible. I think drivers need to realize we slugs take the ride as an inexpensive way to commute, reduce emissions, road rage, etc. We'll adapt and overcome, but be the driver who went on strike and then came crawling back after the prices level off... you may be marked for non-riding. I personally have a few drivers I avoid due to cigarette smoke, driving style, heat-a/c issues. You'll just be added as a striker.

We slug because we are flexible, you drive because you aren't. And BTW I drive in also, and when I do I am pro slug, always take three or more if available and am flexible with drop offs.

Gas rage is not the answer, just realize if you don't drive someone else will, and that somebody may be a slug. Relax!!!!!!

thirdbag
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 9:10am
Well said! I like the part "we slug because WE ARE FLEXIBLE, you drive because YOU ARE NOT!"
carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 9:26am
Well, the labeling of people, whether it be drivers as inflexible or riders as bottom feeders, isn't doing any one any good, and only further serves to inflame the situation.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 9:38am
Carleric hit it spot on!

Labels (which we are prone to do to everyone we come in contact with) only serve to divide. Labels are for the lazy amongst us. We like to put folks in cubby-holes so we can lay preconceived notions on those people and we don't have to make the effort to get to the person and where they're coming from.

Putting all drivers in the "inflexible" pot or riders in the "bottom feeder" category only serves to create unnecessary angst in a community of people making the best of the situation in which they find themselves.

I looked at my slugs this morning. I could call them bottom feeders if I were lazy. But as I looked at them all snug and comfortable in my vehicle, asleep to rest up for the rest of their day, I realized that I can afford to drive to work everyday (no direct subsidies here), they probably can't. They may drive better cars to the commuter lot than mine, but mine is paid for. My work does require that I be ready to drive somewhere during the day, so I have my car at the ready (40 mile one way cab rides aren't easily reimbursed on expense reports, but mileage is for some reason). Call that convenience if you like, I call it part of doing business which I am comfortably compensated for. Others aren't, they're just trying to make it through life.

I've been watching the evacuation of New Orleans. It struck me these folks made the best with the hand they were dealt in many cases. Others are opportunists (e.g. criminals). Both expect something, but their motives are what is important. Many couldn't afford to evacuate. Some chose not to even though they could afford to. Our compassion for either of these shouldn't stop with labels. Labels kill understanding, caring and concern.

I wouldn't ask for "tips" (our society is screwed up with the idea of tipping, but we don't time for that here), but wouldn't it just make my day if someone decided they'd like to give me a buck for a WaWa coffee (since I have to stop at WaWa daily to fill up just to get gas before the next price increase!) and said a sincere thank you. I don't EXPECT it, it would just be a nice act of concern on someone's part. If I expected it, it wouldn't mean as much, eh?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 9:47am
NoSb: Great posting. Let's see how many slugs really appreciate it that much. I'll bet most are way too selfish.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 9:48am
I enjoy shellfish. Blue Crabs are my favorite!

NoSb

CallmeMrSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CallmeMrSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 11:07am
N or SB you really are way cool again :-)
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2005 at 1:19pm
CMMS: You're awesome, I need a fan club, wanna be club prez? If that's a little too political for you, I could use a cheerleading squad, wanna lead that?

Just trying to lighten things up a bit...oh, sorry for my rants earlier this week, totally uncalled for.

NoSb

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic