Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lorton Shell

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TLM4977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lorton Shell
    Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 8:57am
Does anyone out there use this lot? I am moving to Lorton this weekend and I wanted to make sure that this was an active lot. Are their rides home in the evening? Thanks for any help.

Tricia
L-Slug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L-Slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 11:01am
I don't know why they still have that listed on the site, no has used that lot in years. Best bet is to go to the Lorton VRE; although ride options aren't that great there either. Destination is usually Pentagon or L'enfant Plaza. There are no return locations in the afternoon so you will end up having to take the VRE or the 171 to get back.

L-slug
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 12:56pm
One thought on why it may have died: Where is the closest entrance from the Lorton Shell lot to the I-95 HOV lanes? Is it close enough to Newington where traffic there makes getting to that entrance not worth the effort? Also, has the construction of the additional northbound regular lane been a factor?

Seems like the Lorton Shell lot would be a good option for a slug line for Lorton residents, especially with all the new homes near the old prison complex. Something caused the Lorton Shell slug line to die, and something is causing the current lack of interest/participation.

There are some (a few?) Lorton residents who drive up Hooes Rd to use the Sydenstricker slug line.
CurlyHairedGirl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CurlyHairedGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 7:01am
I think it is important for slug lines to have a good public transportation backup. The Fairfax Connector 171 bus does go to that lot, but it runs infrequently in the evening.
floreso2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floreso2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 10:49am
To get a ride home, there is a sign Tacketts/Lorton VRE. However, I have never seen anyone pick up for Lorton VRE or anyone trying to get a ride there.
CurlyHairedGirl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CurlyHairedGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 4:04pm
quote:
Originally posted by floreso2

To get a ride home, there is a sign Tacketts/Lorton VRE. However, I have never seen anyone pick up for Lorton VRE or anyone trying to get a ride there.

There is a sign where? Pentagon?

The Lorton VRE station lot is about 5 minutes drive away from the Lorton Shell. It doesn't really make sense to have both.
shorty5646 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty5646 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2011 at 5:08pm
quote:
Originally posted by CurlyHairedGirl

quote:
Originally posted by floreso2

There is a sign where? Pentagon?

Yes, the Tacketts/Lorton VRE sign is at the Pentagon, but I used to use the Tacketts line there and never ran into riders or drives heading to Lorton either.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic