Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problems getting home at night

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems getting home at night
    Posted: 30 May 2008 at 9:18pm
I've been leaving my office in CHinatown at 5PM and getting to the Pentagon lot by 5:15 to go to Route 17. The problem? I've done that three times this week and missed out on a ride all but once (and that was only bc I left the lot and literally hitchhiked) because the lines were so long!

What am I doing wrong? SHould I be going to a different afternoon slug line? Parking in the mornings at a different commuter lot? Am I getting to the Pentagon too late? Please advise, this crap's really annoying me. [xx(]

work in Chinatown, live on Rte 3. Looking for 17 to L'Enfant ride.
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 9:27pm
Have you looked at commuter connections? There are actually a boatload of people down here in Fredericksburg and Spotsy looking for carpools. It would mean you get to drive one week out of three, so it's a little more expensive than slugging, but it doesn't sound like you're having a lot of luck with that.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!
toomuchcoffeelady View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 1:37pm
While in theory, I'd have no problem slipping the driver a few bucks, I thought the general consensus was that practice is a slug's social suicide?

work in Chinatown, live on Rte 3. Looking for 17 to L'Enfant ride.
122582 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2008 at 10:52pm
I was talking about straight carpooling in your case. Do you live close enough to Gordon Rd. to use that lot? When I worked at the Pentagon, there never seemed to be a shortage of slugs or drivers.

I think your using Rt 17 make be the problem. I always noticed a shortage of drivers for that line at the Pentagon. I assume it's because Rt 17 is such a pain to get to in the afternoon (and not much better in the morning).

My advice would be to try Gordon Rd. as a slug, and if that doesn't work, try a van pool bus or car pool.

I don't mean to be insulting, but it is a bit foolish (and dangerous) to attempt to slug without a backup plan. The last VRE train leaves Union station at around 1900, so a couple of single ride tickets would be a good idea. You should also have a book of bus passes in your pocket anyway as a backup plan. Most slugs buy a few single trips at a time, and catch the last bus out of the Pentagon at sometime like 1750.

Do remember that this is essentially organized hitchhiking, so you shouldn't let it get you annoyed if you miss a few rides. Reach out to some of the career slugs and see how they figured it all out.

Keep slugging alive - tip your driver today!
blacksky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacksky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 12:24am
I agree, I have a 10 ride VRE ticket as well as a pack of Martz bus tickets with me at all times in case: I can leave early and catch the 1pm VRE; the slug line is WAY too long and I'll wait less in the bus line; I'm late leaving work and there's no possibility of slugging and I'd better catch the "loser" bus (you know, the one that makes EVERY stop south); or... it's wet out in the morning and I don't want to wait in the slug line to get to points north; there's a long slug line in the morning and I will just use Fred Bus to VRE...etc... I hope you get my point, remain flexible (semper Gumby), and always have a backup plan or two to get home (enroll in guaranteed ride home as well). Hope is NOT a course of action.
17orbust View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17orbust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2008 at 11:04am
I slug from 17 to L'Enfant in the mornings.

In the afternoon, I take the metro over to the Pentagon and jump in the 17 line. Most times I arrive at the 17 line by 5pm and it's usually wrapped around the jersey barriers. I've had a few close calls but most times I can get a ride by 5:30 or 5:45. If I run late from work, I don't even bother. Plan B in effect, straight to the bus stop or the VRE for me.

That's 30 to 45 minutes of standing in line for me and I'm arriving at 5. If you're getting there at 5:15, you gotta figure it'll be the same for you and that's cutting it really close.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic