Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quiet car program for HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKCRAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2003 at 3:10pm
I am sorry you took it that way, because I was truly serious![:I] I think your idea is a good one, and I want/plan to build upon it. And several of those categories I listed are ones I would endorse, but I threw in a few categories for people who have stricter rules about eating and drinking than I do and also a few alternative viewpoints from me (and some of the recent topics I hear complained about on this board), because I know that if I just put my viewpoints I would get guff from the other side.

Unfortunately, I believe a quiet car would be as successful as attempting many of the other ones I listed--and would literally relish posting on my car. Especially since the basis for a quiet car is already one of the rules of slugging posted on this site. (as are most of the other points I listed)

Your original post actually gave me some food for thought that I plan to act upon. One day in the not to far future, you may just see something like that on my car. And anyone who doesn't want to abide and ride...can get in the next car. . .

Making the helacious ride fantasy a reality.

quote:
Originally posted by tlschau
[br]SKCRAB, thanks for your sarcastic and derisive comments. The ironic thing is that all of those categories you satirically created and mentioned in your post are actually things that I have heard people, especially drivers, complain about on numerous occasions.

Anyway, I made the suggestion only because of things I have read on other messages boards, particularly regarding cell phone use. Would it ever work? Probably not. But at least I’m trying to offer constructive ideas for those posters who rant and rave about what other drivers/riders are doing. Constructive vs. destructive posts: there’s quite a difference.

quote:
Originally posted by SKCRAB
[br]Not a bad idea, but I think we could have some other categories too: "No-Perfume/Cologne Car" "Rowdy Car", "Fast Car", "Slow Car", "Clean Car", "Filthy Car" "Food and Beverage Welcome", "No Food or Drink", "Drink but no food", "No Fingernail Filing Zone". I have often considered taping a list of my own personal slug rules to the space in front of slugs to conform with the type of environment I want to have. I have also considered putting cleaning supplies in the backseat so instead of complaining taht my car was dirty, slugs could go ahead and clean it up--afterall, the only people making my car dirty (other than my driver's space) is my slugs.

The fantasy worlds we dream up during our helacious rides/drives in. . . .

gdriva View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gdriva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2003 at 1:37pm
Thanks for your idea. I don't mind friendly people, but if the driver prefers quiet, the driver could set a quiet example by not playing the radio loud enough to be heard in Milwaukee or at least adjusting the volume to avoid torturing the back seat riders. Most riders I've met seem courteous and perceptive about the driver's preference.

bigbrowneyes View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbrowneyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2003 at 8:26pm
That is a good idea but won't it affect the pace of the slug lines?
bowflexguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowflexguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2004 at 11:42am
Slug rules? These are guidelines not rules, which makes a difference.

quote:
Originally posted by tlschau
[br]I noticed that VRE has started a "Quiet Car program" for its trains. Apparently, VRE has one car on every train where they don't allow cell phone use, talking, or any other noises that might disturb other riders.

I was thinking, how about starting that for the slugging community[?] I know we already have rules that help keep down on the noise, like having the driver initiate conversations. But that doesn't affect cell phone use or other noises. Maybe drivers can designate themselves as quiet cars with a sign or something. Then it will be understood by all riders that the driver wants a quiet ride to work.

Just a thought.

bikesRfun View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikesRfun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2004 at 2:46pm
Quiet car? Most mornings, cars are quite becuase people usually nap on the way to work. When people get in the car, you can usually tell whether they aren't going to talk. If I get people who want to talk in the car in the afternoon, I prefer it... makes the drive go by quicker. Another thing about cell phones... They should be for emergency use or I need you to pick me up calls, not ordering pizza for dinner or talking to your friends/family for the better part of the ride. I generally turn down the radio when someone is using the phone, BUT if they want to talk to whole way I go out of my way to make it uncomfortable for them. (i.e. turning the radio and talking to the other passengers until they get the point that I don't want them using the phone for that long.)
bowflexguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowflexguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2004 at 10:13pm
Flaming folder is cool...but hey whynot have it, be a trend setter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic