Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Springfield interchange

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Springfield interchange
    Posted: 13 Aug 2003 at 10:51am
Does anybody know if the new construction will eliminate the use of HOV lanes by non-HOV vehicles on the four-mile stretch of I-395 southbound just past Duke Street? This seems to be a problem area at times during the PM commute as traffic almost always slows there (even before the Springfield interchange construction started).
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2003 at 12:29pm
That's a good question. I checked www.springfieldinterchange.com but wasn't able to find an answer.
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2003 at 2:28pm
Thanks for the info roadrunner, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens once construction is complete.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2003 at 10:04am
It was originally announced that the southbound Turkeycock Run ramp into the express lanes (that's the official name for the ramp just south of Duke Street, so called because Turkeycock Run goes under the highway there) is to be eliminated entirely after the construction is done. More likely they will simply block it off--I can't see them tearing it up in case they need it in the future (for example, suppose there's a big accident and they need to reroute cars through the express lanes).

The reason the loophole exists now is to try to reduce the bottleneck where Beltway traffic merges onto I-95 south--the theory is that allowing people heading for Old Keene Mill Road or to the south of Springfield to use the express lanes into Springfield will take a bunch of cars off the merge there. The new Springfield Interchange will be segregated into the existing but relocated express (HOV) lanes, "express" lanes for non-HOV traffic not exiting in Springfield (the big flyover bridge being constructed will serve this purpose for Beltway traffic--drivers using that bridge will not be able to exit at Route 644), and "local" lanes for traffic heading to Old Keene Mill or Franconia Roads. (Essentially a five-carriageway design, but I imagine it will be a little more complex than that. By comparison, most interstate highways are dual-carriageways. A "carriageway" is one set of lanes; the term originated with the Brits.) All these lanes will be barrier-separated to eliminate most of the weaving and merging you see now, so if it all works correctly there would be no reason to allow non-HOV's into the express lanes.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2003 at 7:19am
"I can't see them tearing it up in case they need it in the future" -- I can. That's EXACTLY what they did at the South end of the HOV when they finished working on the bridges there. At least they left the bridge there.
Sheepish View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2003 at 5:26pm
Reading the prior postings from RoadRunner and USA, I am a little confused. RoadRunner's information from VDOT makes sense; that entrance, and that stretch of road, should revert back to the standard HOV-3 rules once construction is complete. What's confusing to me on this topic, is USA's comment about an "original announcement" that the ramp is to be entirely eliminated after completion of construction. Granted, I haven't had the time to research what the current plan is myself, but it seems totally ludicrous to eliminate a perfectly good entrance to HOV just prior to the beltway area.

The only issue I see with keeping this entrance open after the interchange is finished, is going to be the enforcement of HOV-3 around that stretch of road, as people have to learn to break an "old habit."
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2003 at 9:12am
quote:
Originally posted by Arbo
[br]"I can't see them tearing it up in case they need it in the future" -- I can. That's EXACTLY what they did at the South end of the HOV when they finished working on the bridges there. At least they left the bridge there.

True, they did, I forgot about that, but I can think of other places where roads were not ripped out in case they were needed again. For example, you know how the Beltway/236 interchange is notorious for truck accidents? Back in the late 1970s after one wreck they had to close the eastbound bridge for a few weeks, so they built paved connections across the median. They're still there, blocked with jersey walls; I've always figured that they didn't rip it out because there were so many truck wrecks there and they wanted to be able to use it again in the future.

Given that the new Springfield Interchange will likely see its share of wrecks until people get used to the lane separation--and heck, I saw a woman BACKING UP in the RIGHT LANE OF THE BELTWAY a few weeks back when the new overpass opened--it probably makes sense to maintain that ramp for at least a few years. I am absolutely certain that VDOT will screw up the signs and make it worse. They already have on the Beltway--you know how VDOT claims that traffic going straight through on the Beltway has to "exit" to stay on the Beltway? If you take the Outer Loop from Tysons to Alexandria, you'll see that the straight-through lanes on the Beltway are labeled Exit 57C and I-95 South is labeled 57A--UNTIL you get to the Springfield Interchange, where the new "Exit 57C" suddenly becomes "Exit 57A" even though the ramp to I-95 South is still "Exit 57A." What a bunch of dumbsh*ts we have designing highway signs. It simply further convinces me of the need for alternate routes!
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2003 at 11:17am
Here is an article posted on another thread that I just read that answers my original question. According to this article, the HOV lanes between Duke Street and Route 644 have been used by non-HOV vehicles since the mid-1980's.

HOV Restrictions Recommended in Northern Virginia
Updated: Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2003 - 9:01 AM EDT.

WASHINGTON - The next time you think it would be a lot quicker to zip into Virginia's HOV lanes but you don't have any passengers, you might want to think twice.
The state's HOV Task Force is recommending the General Assembly double fines and tack points on to your driving record if you violate the HOV restrictions.

The committee also suggested reinstating HOV-3 on Interstate 395 southbound between Duke Street and Route 644 once the Springfield Mixing Bowl project advances.

"The Task Force's recommendations, if approved, will benefit the environment and help preserve the time savings benefits for carpoolers, vanpoolers and bus riders," said Tom Farley, district administrator for the Virginia Department of Transportation and co-chair of the task force, in a news release.

"Virginia's HOV lanes are a proven congestion management tool but their success is being eroded by HOV violators who knowingly or inadvertently misuse the system," Farley says.

The following recommendations have been made by the task force:

Better communication and enforcement of existing HOV rules and regulations to commuters on the I-95/395, I-66 and Dulles Toll Road HOV corridors.

Double the fines for second and subsequent offenses on Northern Virginia HOV lanes. Fines are now $50 for the first offense plus court costs; $100 for the second offense plus court costs; $250 for the third offense within two years on the second offense plus court costs; and $500 for the fourth offense within three years of the second offense plus court costs.

Assign three demerit points for second and subsequent offenses. Now you don't get any points on your license. A driver can have his license suspended if 18 points are assigned in a 12-month period.

Increase HOV enforcement funding for Virginia State Police from $140,000 per year to $300,000 per year.

Spell out a consistent and enforceable definition of the HOV exemption for motorists going to and from the Dulles Airport.

Do not extend the exemption for vehicles with clean special fuel license plates. It expires on July 1, 2006. The exemption for hybrid vehicles violates federal statutes.

Remind federal, state and local law enforcement agencies that the exemption for police vehicles does not apply to commuting in personal vehicles on the HOV lanes.

Reinstate HOV-3 on the I-395 southbound HOV lanes between Duke Street and Route 644 once capacity is increased as part of the Springfield Interchange Improvement Project. Because of congestion this four-mile stretch has been used by all drivers since the mid-80s.
VDOT says every day more than 34,000 commuters rely on properly functioning HOV lanes to get to work or home by bus, vanpool, or carpool.

But during the peak morning hours, violators are prevalent.

In fall 2002 traffic counts, about 35 percent of drivers in I-95's HOV lanes violated the restrictions. In other HOV lanes, violators accounted for 26 percent of drivers on I-395, 14 percent on I-66 outside the Beltway, 38 percent on I-66 inside the Beltway and 28 percent on the Dulles Toll Road.

(Copyright 2003 by WTOP. All rights reserved.)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic