Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Data shows Hybrids have no effect on HOV traffic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Data shows Hybrids have no effect on HOV traffic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 122582 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2005 at 10:53am
I heard the AAA report 17% of HOV traffic is Hybrid traffic. Interesting that the kids' observation is pretty accurate. Good job.

As I see it, driving daily, 15-20% is about right. Also there are probably 10-15% cheaters - you must only get a warning for your first offense.

The problem with traffic is not simply too many people driving on too few roads. There are just too many folks out here heading the same direction at once.

VRE is full, busses are full, van pools are full, metro is packed. Is it a surprise that even HOV is becoming packed?

It's only going to get worse, so instead of worrying about HOV/HOT/SOV/whatever, should we concentrate our energies on our local governments to attract business (real jobs, not retail) to our own little burgs? Stafford is trying.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2005 at 12:13pm
Never saw a study by AAA... was it of our HOV lanes? and didn't contaminate the numbers with I66 data? And shows the incredible rise in the number of CF-plated high-breds in Virginia?

VDOT's number was in the low-to-mid 20's as a percent of all traffic on the HOV lanes. That was last Novemberish when they did the tally.

Now, there isn't even a waiting list for high-breds anymore. Not sure why that is. Are people scared of losing the HOV in a year? Or is the number of people interested in them declining? Or have the manufacturers started sending more to the U.S.?

The woman who sits beside me at work walked into a dealership last Saturday and drove out in a new Civic high-bred. The salesman said, "No law for cars has ever been removed from the books," meaning the exemption will stand, in his opinion. She lives in Herndon and uses I66, not I95, so I forgive her (mostly.)

I no longer count high-breds on the HOV lanes, not individually. What I count now are the number of times that my vehicle is surrounded by high-breds.

If people would count bodies instead of vehicles, we'd be dealing with similar facts instead of dissimilar opinions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic