Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

illegal parking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southerngirl-nola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: illegal parking
    Posted: 01 Apr 2004 at 9:46am
First of all, I am rather new to parking at the Horner lot. I parked on Monday and Tuesday in the same spot along the curb in what is known as, the second lot. I was surprised to see a ticket on my windshield yesterday, as it was the very same spot I parked in earlier this week. Maybe, they should put a sign up saying no parking, you know, for newbees like me.
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2004 at 10:45am
Southern,

The police will ticket those, illegally parked, that may inhibit a fire truck from getting around the lots. That includes parking along the curb and on the white lines. They have not ticketed anyone illegally parking on the dirt. Just don't block a sidewalk when doing so.

Cheers,

Glacier
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2004 at 12:54pm
While I haven't had to resort to parking at the curb yet, I've been sitting here sympathizing with people who park next to the curbs that are not marked as "No Parking." Then I took a look at the Virginia Driving Manual (it has been a long time since I've had to take the test) and noticed certain parking prohibitions (http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/drivers/vadm/vadm2-6.asp#5). Since the cops seem to be ticketing everyone at the curb, I'm guessing they are invoking the restrictions on parking too close to an intersection and blocking/creating a hazard for vehicles in a designated traffic lane. Again, I'm just guessing. Until today, I didn't think about having to maintain extra space to get firetrucks into the lot.

That said, I believe the curbs should be posted/painted as "No Parking" areas if that's what they are designed to be. "Ignorance of the law" is a government cop out.
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2004 at 3:06pm
Katana,

Nice wiseass, totally vacuous, statement to someone seeking honest advice. Southern drives in the lot, first time, and sees numerous other cars parked along the curb and then unknowingly, wait, tell the kids to leave the room and turn the volume down, parks illegally. Well let’s just line her up against the wall and have an old fashion stoning, shall we? And, how dare someone make a suggestion to help out! Although I think that the curb and stripped areas should continue to be ticketed areas, I agree with Jigga, there should be signs posted for the curb
As for those of us that park on the dirt, is it truly illegal? Do you know, probably not. Strange thing is the police don't ticket those areas, wonder why? Maybe, they understand the reasonable man theory of parking in imaginative unobtrusive spots in a lot with not nearly enough spots.

By the way, why would parking in the dirt or grass, not blocking the sidewalk, bother you? It doesn't impede traffic in the lot. It’s not a hazard to others. Why? Do you complain when people pass you in the HOV doing 70mph and think -quick fix, don't speed? Probably not, because like parking in the dirt, it doesn't affect you.

Try to be a bit more helpful next time.

Thanks, Glacier
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2004 at 11:31am
quote:
Originally posted by glacier
[br]
By the way, why would parking in the dirt or grass, not blocking the sidewalk, bother you? It doesn't impede traffic in the lot. It’s not a hazard to others. Why? Do you complain when people pass you in the HOV doing 70mph and think -quick fix, don't speed? Probably not, because like parking in the dirt, it doesn't affect you.

Try to be a bit more helpful next time.

Thanks, Glacier

Funny thing is this: He/she/it is not affected the least little bit by anything that goes on at Horner. If you look at everyone of their other posts, they're STRONG proponents of Potomac Mills. Pipes in almost every day to shout graces the PM location from the hill tops. Sounded like just an opportunity to insert a sarcastic comment. Not very helpful, but whatever. Not a judgement, just an observation.

Now, back to the topic at hand...who is responsible for posting signs on the commuter lots, is that VDOT?? Sounds like they should be notified of these needs and quickly!!
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2004 at 2:52pm
I guess that instead of looking at people that park along the curb and think "you'll get a ticket", someone should call VDOT od PWC. Why? Because it could be someone who is a first timer, and those of us that know, should help. I'll call Monday.

Cheers,

Glacier
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2004 at 12:30pm
KaTaNa,

ROTFLOL. "Quick fix, don't park illegally..." is a helpful phrase? Not sarcastic? Pleeease. Lets call a shovel a shovel shall we? While I am well aware that parking next to the curb is illegal and would be ticketed, which I agree with, many first (and second, etc) timers seeing numerous others parking along the curb, WITH no Do Not Park signs, could reasonably think they could too. Instead of talking down to those people, why not use your superior intellect and be helpful?

Also, writing "Again, simply put, don't park illegally and you won't be ticketed" is sarcastic to someone seeking to know if the curb is illegal and what others do to deal with an over crowded lot.

"I AM trying to help by offering an alternative to the chaos that is Horner Road". First, what alternative? Don't park illegally? I think people understand that. If you truly want to be helpful and offer an alternative, keep banging the drum that PM is a great place. Second, I don't see the PENT/CC/ROS line as chaos. Not enough parking spots and interesting, but far from chaos. Whether driving or riding, I enjoy the people and the bus as a back up.

Just as in kindergarten: be helpful to new people and nice to everyone else. Cheap shoots and sarcasm are neither required nor desired.

Cheers,

Glacier
glacier View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glacier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2004 at 2:12pm
Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

Cheers,

Glacier
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic