Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Proposed New Slug Line Locations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LOCATIONS: Let's GO Tysons Corner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snlfam1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LOCATIONS: Let's GO Tysons Corner
    Posted: 09 May 2018 at 3:23pm
I have seen multiple posts for a Tysons Corner slugline... so let's make this happen! Handshake

My suggestion is to piggyback off the existing PRTC Tysons Corner bus route.  That way riders will have a backup alternative if there are no drivers, and drivers will have a line of hopefully willing riders.

With that in mind, I recommend the morning pickup location be the inner lane just to the right of the bus stop at the 123 Commuter Lot (east side of 95) off of Gordon Blvd (https://www.google.com/maps/place/38.67022379715563+-77.25065320524163/@38.67022379715563,-77.25065320524163,17z).

For afternoon pickup, the only place that looks promising to me is eastbound on Fashion Blvd near the intersection of Tysons Corner Center Rd across from the PRTC bus stop (https://www.google.com/maps/place/38.9162622231985+-77.22105771097131/@38.9162622231985,-77.22105771097131,17z).

For times, let's try morning rides from 6:20 AM - 8:20 AM and afternoon rides from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM.  This will allow the riders to take the bus when there are not enough drivers.

This can start today with a little patience and perseverance.  If you are a driver, bring a large sign and be willing to wait a few minutes (you can make up the time using the HOV... believe me). Riders, have a funded SmartTrip card on you in case you end up being at the back of the line and have to use the bus.

Thoughts? Feedback? Observations? Successes? Are you willing to commit?

Looking forward to riding with my fellow Tysons-Woodbridge commuters. Smile

p.s. Most of the posts for new Tysons Corner slug lines on this message board have www.sameride.com listed (by the developer of sameride FYI) as an alternative.  After looking into this, it doesn't seem to be functional or as simple as slugging.
Mig10 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mig10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 12:49pm
Hello there, what is the status on this line? I am interested - Thanks!
EL
Roy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 11:26am
After commuting from Stafford to Tysons area for the last 5 months, and trying every option out there, I think the best way for a traditional slug line to succeed in Tysons is to have a single designated pickup spot. Of course, Tysons is more spread out than DC or Arlington so this will be a challenge.  But if it's central enough - maybe by one of the Metro stations or either mall - it could be accessible on foot, metro or bus for slugs.

I don't have time to pursue this right now, but in a few months I would be willing to lobby Fairfax County to set up a designated "carpool staging area" in Tysons, with signs up for Woodbridge, Stafford and elsewhere (similar to the ones along the Lee Hwy. service road in Rosslyn).  That might give us the critical mass for a PM Tysons slug line to succeed.

Thoughts?
Karendy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karendy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 8:59am
I work in McLean and I am a driver. I wouldn’t mind picking up riders from one of the Stafford lots.
hibeamr View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hibeamr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 11:25am
I am a driver but would be willing to be a rider, or maybe alternate between the two. I commute to the Capital One campus in McLean (the main towers), but can go to almost any of our buildings in the area (e.g., Westpark) and shuttle from there.

Any interest?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic