Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What isn't understood about I'll take two?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2003 at 10:09am
quote:
Originally posted by mdamba
[br]My wife and I drive together and everytime we pick up a slug at Route 3, we get not one but 2. I don't even have time to say anything. We drive a Focus and I have to have the seat back all the way too but doesn't stop them from coming in and it's going to stop when I pick up next time. I don't care if it's raining or not. I'm not about to drive for an hour or so with a knee in my back. I have a few other things to say but I'll save that for another topic I'm about to start.

That's pretty bad that riders just assume that you will take 2, without even asking! They should definitely ask first. Next time let it be known, whether they ask or not, that you only want one rider. Perhaps do what mirangus suggested and make a sign for your car.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2003 at 11:33am
mdamba - could you lock one of the back doors so the person couldn't get in (assuming you have a 4 door car)?
mdamba View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdamba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2003 at 9:53pm
I made a sign and I'll try the door lock. It seems like most of you all are drivers. I posted another topic about snoring and eating and it could just be me but all this seems like that some people don't have respect or something.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2003 at 11:08am
Actually, in the 3 years I've been here, I've driven about 8 times. Otherwise I slug 99% of the time.
mdamba View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdamba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2003 at 9:01pm
Well, Been doing it for a week now, and the sign doesn't work in the morning, Too dark. and getting the window down fast enough is hard. One day, I had the 4th person almost in the car when I told him that I was taking one. Then the next day, I had someone questioning me when I said one. But hey, my back feels great.[:)]
harlean View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harlean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2003 at 2:08pm
I agree with makinalivin. I have a two-door, spacious car. (Red Toyota from 610). I drive occasionally. I only need two people and that's all I ever get. Sure there’s space, but I do not feel like taking a 3rd person. I am just not a people person. The more people there are, the more uncomfortable I become. Besides, it feels like I am your chauffeur. I don't like that feeling at all.

There are also unwritten rules. First and foremost - it's MY car. You are not paying for it, I am. You don't get to put the window up or down. You are not supposed to use more than the space you are occupying and most importantly you are not to touch anything!!!

Second rule, no talking. I set my CD's and/or radio as loud as I want.

Third rule, you will be dropped off where first determined not where you had thought of later and didn't bother to say.

Last rule, if I didn't say I'd take a 3rd you had better not ask because I am not getting out of my car to let you in.
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2003 at 10:21am
quote:
Originally posted by harlean
[br]I agree with makinalivin. I have a two-door, spacious car. (Red Toyota from 610). I drive occasionally. I only need two people and that's all I ever get. Sure there’s space, but I do not feel like taking a 3rd person. I am just not a people person. The more people there are, the more uncomfortable I become. Besides, it feels like I am your chauffeur. I don't like that feeling at all.

There are also unwritten rules. First and foremost - it's MY car. You are not paying for it, I am. You don't get to put the window up or down. You are not supposed to use more than the space you are occupying and most importantly you are not to touch anything!!!

Third rule, you will be dropped off where first determined not where you had thought of later and didn't bother to say.

Last rule, if I didn't say I'd take a 3rd you had better not ask because I am not getting out of my car to let you in.

That's a lot of rules for people who are also doing YOU a favor by allowing you into the HOV lanes legally. Since you admit you are not a people person, and you play your music as loud as you want, I'm surprised more riders don't exercise their "Pass" option when they see your red 2-door (read: unpleasant climb over seats to get to the back) Toyota coming. Perhaps you would be more comfortable if you bought a hybrid and rode alone till the hybrid exemption runs out.
viper View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2003 at 11:22am
quote:
[br]I agree with makinalivin. I have a two-door, spacious car. (Red Toyota from 610). I drive occasionally. I only need two people and that's all I ever get. Sure there’s space, but I do not feel like taking a 3rd person. I am just not a people person. The more people there are, the more uncomfortable I become. Besides, it feels like I am your chauffeur. I don't like that feeling at all.

Just because it's your car doesn't mean you have the right to be inconsiderate! If you want to act like you're by yourself, then why don't you BE BY YOURSELF! Bottom line, it's not all about you. The riders are the reason why you can get to work in a reasonable amount of time. Treat them with respect and they'll treat you with respect. Otherwise, try your luck on the HOV by yourself!
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2003 at 7:35am
quote:

So tell me, when you were a kid did you ever say "It's my ball and you can't play with it"? Maybe you didn't intend it that way, but your statement makes you seem very touchy and cross and overly protective of your stuff. When I drive, passengers can adjust their seats, air vents, seat belts, head rests or anything else, within reason, that makes them more comfortable.

I agree with you about the drop-off point. I have many times witnessed people pull a fast one and announce that they require a different drop-off after the ride has commenced. I think it is very rude and unfair.
harlean View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harlean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2003 at 8:48am
I am protective of my stuff. I’ll be the first one to admit it. I also treat other people's cars the same way I want them to treat mine.

In fact, when people get in I adjust the seat for them. Most people think they have to be uncomfortable in the front seat for the sake of the person in the back. (But there's plenty of room for the person in the back EVEN when the front seat is pulled all the way back). I hate it when people are uncomfortable. I also adjust the climate control so that everyone is comfortable. There is nothing I dislike more than those who think that outside air will do in an hour+ long commute [xx(]

What bothers me is this. I had a gentleman in the back seat move my stuff to put his stuff and then leave trash on the floor! Wasn’t that lovely. [}:)]

But mostly people compliment me on the car. Some people say things like "It's a very nice car, enjoy it."

Music: I don't play it blaring loud. Hello, I want to hear my music. The sound system and car are designed so that I don't get any outside noise, but hear music out of all the speakers. It’s not obnoxious either. I've had people go to sleep and snore while I'm listening to my music.

"It's my ball and you can't play with it." I am an only child. That should say a lot.

Bottom line is, I don't have to pick you up if I don't want to. I’ve picked people out of line because I know where they are going. I can also go to another lot or another destination altogether. It's my choice. It's also my choice to not get in your car when I slug. I don't think I've been branded with the invisible "PASS". I've had repeat riders. They learn the rules the first time and think they're fair. Otherwise they would not get in, would they?

One last thing: if you are out of shape and/or uncoordinated of course you are going to have trouble getting in the back of a two-door.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic