Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What isn't understood about I'll take two?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makinalivin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What isn't understood about I'll take two?
    Posted: 25 Aug 2003 at 12:06pm
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen: When I pull up and say "I'll take two" why is this so hard to understand? Is there a fear I don't know what I'm asking for? Why do people question this by answering back with "do you mean three" or "will you take another?" Those responses are growing and its actually getting pretty old repeating myself, no-only two, and sometimes actually having to stop someone from getting in. This may sound petty, but if you could see the looks I get and hear the comments being made (I slug from the same line once in awhile and hear the comments unleashed at other drivers.) When I say "two" that's exactly what I mean. I owe no explanation as to why, it's my preference as a driver. Yesterday, a gentleman (a term used lightly here) called me a rather unpleasant name simply because I didn't want the take another. Is this fair?
DC2RV View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC2RV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2003 at 12:23pm
If you say two, then it's two, no need to ask. However, if it's been a long wait for the rider, and if you obviously have room for a third, I can understand you being asked the question. If the wait has been really long, there's a certain amount of peer pressure to ask drivers if they'll take extra people.
Arbo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2003 at 2:27pm
Fair enough. I do ask that you state this clearly. The person asking you the question may have a hearing or sight problem.

Last Thursday at the 610 line at the Pentagon a driver pulled up and it looked like he held up three fingers, so we assumed he meant he'd take three. The driver got somewhat irrate when a third person started getting in. We all appoligized, explaining that we saw him holding up three fingers and thought this meant he'd take three people. His reply was that he only takes two passengers and that he never said he'd take three.
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2003 at 8:44am
I know that I'll find myself in the minority once again, but I think that taking more than two screws up the system. When you take more than you are required, you are taking rider(s) that another driver may need.
I made the same argument a long while ago in the hybrid thread as a reason that hybrids should not pickup slugs.

Another problem with taking three riders is that the third rider may have to exit on the traffic side of the car rather than the curb side. This can be dangerous.

Lastly, a third rider (setting aside the additional fuel factor and wear and tear) is often an extra stop by the driver. This is just inconvenient.

Our ultimate goal is to find the most convenient and economical way to commute.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2003 at 9:05am
I don't have a problem taking another rider. Especially if there are a lot of people waiting in line and not many cars. I don't understand why someone would get upset over a third person in their car, and ok with two.

How did people survive HOV-4?
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2003 at 9:30am
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]I don't have a problem taking another rider. Especially if there are a lot of people waiting in line and not many cars....

Like MDC, on the days I drive, I don't mind an extra rider if the line is long. As a rider, I especially appreciate drivers who are willing to take one more person under those circumstances. I don't consider the driver as "stealing" me, because if the wait becomes too long, I jump on the bus. In the morning, I can also change my destination to fit where the cars are going, since I have to take the Metro from any dropoff point anyway. Either way, drivers to my normal destination are one rider short.
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2003 at 10:44am
quote:
Originally posted by mroyal

I know that I'll find myself in the minority once again, but I think that taking more than two screws up the system. When you take more than you are required, you are taking rider(s) that another driver may need.

Our ultimate goal is to find the most convenient and economical way to commute.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal

You're probably right about this being a minority viewpoint, mroyal, but I agree with you. I think it screws up the system too. I don't ask drivers to take another when I'm entering a vehicle, and I don't instruct the slugs to ask when I am next in line. The only time I jump in as a 4th (or more) occupant is if the driver specifies more than the minimum or if one of the rude individuals farther back in the line is clamoring for the driver to take extras and, if the driver agrees, then expects that they have a right to cut the line and jump in.

The bottom line is that slugging is intended to get everyone home, slugs and drivers, and packing all the slugs in the first vehicles that show up leaves the other drivers waiting.

Mike
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2003 at 10:52am
quote:
Originally posted by DC2RV
[br]If you say two, then it's two, no need to ask. However, if it's been a long wait for the rider, and if you obviously have room for a third, I can understand you being asked the question. If the wait has been really long, there's a certain amount of peer pressure to ask drivers if they'll take extra people.

First, how is the driver supposed to know whether or not the rider's wait has been long?? Sure, there could be a long line, but it could be a fast moving line. There could also be only four people there, but maybe they've been there for 20 minutes. Anything goes in the slug system and I, having been both rider and driver, have learned not to assume anything. That is why, if I drive, I will hold up fingers to specify how many people I will take. Sometimes it's two, sometimes it's three. But if I don't hold up fingers and I say "no" to taking a third passenger, makinalivin is perfectly correct in that the slug line will assault you with all sorts of choice names and comments. Talk about peer pressure!!! That's just plain rude. Nothin' like making a driver feel like he/she is not performing their civic duties because they didn't take a third passenger. When I slug, I am very appreciative when someone takes me as a third passenger and understanding when they do not. As a Crystal City person, I know that more often than not, multiple stops are made in the morning to drop off passengers. I can completely understand, from experience, that someone may be running late and not want to make multiple stops. No biggie, just wait for the next guy. The exception to all this is the afternoon when you're going to the same place anyway. Then there shouldn't be an objection to a third. It doesn't take anymore gas to carry a third person than not and heck, you're headed there anyway, right?
makinalivin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makinalivin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2003 at 11:02am
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]I don't have a problem taking another rider. Especially if there are a lot of people waiting in line and not many cars. I don't understand why someone would get upset over a third person in their car, and ok with two.

How did people survive HOV-4?

I think you're missing the point MDC. Two is my preference. MROYAL stated nicely some valid points. Remember, I'm driving so I can make that call. If I slugged and a driver said they'd take two-I wouldn't challenge it out of courtesy for the driver. If they ask for two, I trust that's what they want. If you find taking three is OK, great! But to have people waiting in line challenge your request, acting aggressively, sometimes running from the back of a line because they see an empty seat, or at times cursing because they believe they have the right to change a driver's mind is absurd. That's the part I'm upset with. I drive and have the right to offer that service to whatever number I choose regardless of how many are waiting. Slugging is a wonderful thing when you think of the alternatives.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2003 at 11:23am
If there's no cars in line and 40 people waiting for a ride at 5:30PM, why not take 3 people?

I understand that someone might not want a third person, but do not understand the reasoning. If I didn't ever want a third person in my car, I would put my daughter's car seat in there.

It doesn't happen often to me, but I've always allowed a third passenger if they ask.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic