Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traffic Reports

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traffic Reports
    Posted: 13 May 2013 at 9:15am
As a Driver why listen to the traffic report when you don't plan to do anything differently. The driver this morning heard the HOV lanes were backed up, so he changes the radio to see what the other channel says about traffic. Both channel were saying take the main lanes until you pass the broken down truck, then get on HOV. No we get on HOV and sit in 5 mph traffic. So again why listen to a traffic report.

I want to thank my driver last week who took the RT 1 passed the accident on 95 near the back gate. He was driving a White Scion XB picked up at mine rd lot.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 10:32pm
Sometimes it freaks the slugs out if you deviate from the norm.
I always announce an unexpected detour when I drive.

Like exiting the HOV lanes just after the Franconia/Springfield parkway with the Backlick Rd. flyover... Then rejoining the HOV lanes. At about 15.30, that makes a decent bit of difference... But as a slug, the first time I saw my driver do that I was confused.

In Kindergarten, we had a broken pencil sharpener on the wall.
The custodian came in and replaced it.

The new pencil sharpener was identical to the old one... The standard manual crank type with an oval container to catch the shavings. The custodian set it up just as it came out of the box, with the oval container set sideways.

It was time for a lesson. The teacher came over and turned it vertically, asking the class why we thought he put it in like that?
We all answered, because it came out of the box like that.
But the teacher asked, which way will hold more shavings?
Obviously the oval container would hold more shavings oriented vertically.

Some people take things as they are and have always been...
Some people figure out that a change will work better...
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 7:45am
That will be enough of that, Pele. We don't need any Free Thinkers or Outside Agitators around here.
GetMeOffOLine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetMeOffOLine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 11:10am
I guess I've been lucky, as a slug, thus far. *knocks on wood* If there's a change, the drivers I've ridden with will let me/us know that they need to make a detour. Often, the RV drivers will tell me/us if they plan to go via Sydenstricker/Fairfax County Parkway, instead of OKM. For me it's six of one, half a dozen of the other, but it's nice that they're usually courteous enough to let me know what they're thinking.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 3:34pm
I think it should work both ways.
Sometimes I need to get to Rosslyn or further down the K-Route, so I picked up for Rosslyn instead of my normal Pentagon.

Normally, when I go to Rosslyn by myself, I head down 27 and go around the circle near the Memorial Bridge.

Apparently during rush hour, they block that circle off and make you head into D.C. via the Memorial Bridge. I was unaware of this and the slugs said nothing when I ended up making a series of turns to go back across the bridge and continue around the circle to Rt. 50

I'm still unsure of the proper routing to Rosslyn with this circle blocked off. I'll just drop off at the Pentagon and cut across the Pentagon parking lot to get to 110.

quote:
Originally posted by mycroftt

That will be enough of that, Pele. We don't need any Free Thinkers or Outside Agitators around here.

It's why I frequently have disputes at work when things get political... And why I'm not a successful military candidate.

There is no box that can contain my thinking and I like to get stuff done without a bunch of bureaucratic red tape.

I'm thankful to have gone to a very open Elementary School which encouraged thinking and questioning EVERYTHING.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetMeOffOLine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 2:13pm
I agree with you, Pele. I think sometimes because of the horror stories that come out, with slugging, about crazy drivers, we riders get nervous to point something out, so we don't get screamed at. Apparently there was a pretty nasty one en route to Rosslyn, yesterday morning, according to one of the slugs I encounter when heading home in the evenings.

As far as getting to Rosslyn in the mornings, there is a way up there besides cutting through the Pentagon lot, I'll keep my eye open for the highway/route number for you, the next time I ride with someone who goes that way.
Pele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 5:39pm
Cool...

I shouldn't need it too frequently, but it'd be nice to know. I work mostly night time and if I'm ever working a double shift in the day the Pentagon works as a convenient drop off location.
Even though I still pick up slugs I'm now running an HOV exempt vehicle, so I do have that going for me as well.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetMeOffOLine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 2:20pm
Pele, as it turns out, there was someone who drove the alternate way to Rosslyn, this morning. Instead of branching off 395 at the Pentagon, if you stay left and follow the signs for Rt 27, Key Bridge/Rosslyn, it'll bypass you so you're going around the Pentagon. Then just follow the signs for Wilson Blvd, Key Bridge/Rosslyn, and it should spit you out on Wilson, near N. Kent Street. Good luck! Seems to be alot easier than cutting through the lot at Pentagon.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic