Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRecent accidents on 95

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recent accidents on 95
    Posted: 01 May 2013 at 9:25am
Ok, for the last two days there have been accidents that have closed all I-95 north bound lanes. They opened the HOV lanes for people to use.

Is it in the contract that VDOT, State Police, etc can do the same once the HOT lanes are in, or do the I-95 commuters just shut off their engines and start walking?
ETC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ETC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 9:56am
Yes. Section 5.05

http://www.vamegaprojects.com/tasks/sites/default/assets/File/pdf/95HOVHOT/Comprehensive_agreement/CA_82012/0_-_Comprehensive_Agreement.pdf
NO44 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NO44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 12:19pm
quote:
Originally posted by scottt

Ok, for the last two days there have been accidents that have closed all I-95 north bound lanes. They opened the HOV lanes for people to use.

Is it in the contract that VDOT, State Police, etc can do the same once the HOT lanes are in, or do the I-95 commuters just shut off their engines and start walking?

They didn't open HOV yesterday, I had to wait until 9 to jump on.

Nic
RetiredMarine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetiredMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 7:18am
The way it was explained at one of the meetings was once the lanes are turned into HOT lanes they will no longer be allowed to be open to all for accident relief.

All of that was in early meetings so things may have changed.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 8:49am
quote:
Originally posted by ETC

Yes. Section 5.05

http://www.vamegaprojects.com/tasks/sites/default/assets/File/pdf/95HOVHOT/Comprehensive_agreement/CA_82012/0_-_Comprehensive_Agreement.pdf

That section has to do with evacuations, not getting around a traffic accident.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 8:50am
quote:
Originally posted by NO44

quote:
Originally posted by scottt

They didn't open HOV yesterday, I had to wait until 9 to jump on.

Nic

My bad Nic, I thought I heard that they had opened them up. Thanks for the info.
ETC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ETC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 11:30am
Section 5.05(a) = Emergency Evacuation Route
Section 5.05(b) = Temporary closure due to:
(i) an emergency declared pursuant to Law by the Department or any other Governmental Authority; or
(ii) a significant incident involving one or more casualties requiring hospitalization or treatment by a medical professional or a fatality on the affected State Highway or GP Lanes from which such traffic is diverted.

DOT and HOT companies have to consult and agree to opening and suspension of tolls. In emergency situation, at least DOT won't be responsible for reimbursing HOT companies for loss of revenue.
NO44 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NO44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 1:01pm

My bad Nic, I thought I heard that they had opened them up. Thanks for the info.

No worries Scottt... I have had the worst commute week this week [V]
I can't win whether I drive, slug or take the train this week lol

Nic
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 8:13am
quote:
Originally posted by ETC

Section 5.05(a) = Emergency Evacuation Route
Section 5.05(b) = Temporary closure due to:
(i) an emergency declared pursuant to Law by the Department or any other Governmental Authority; or
(ii) a significant incident involving one or more casualties requiring hospitalization or treatment by a medical professional or a fatality on the affected State Highway or GP Lanes from which such traffic is diverted.

DOT and HOT companies have to consult and agree to opening and suspension of tolls. In emergency situation, at least DOT won't be responsible for reimbursing HOT companies for loss of revenue.

Thank you for the correction. A & B ran together (in my brain) when I read it the first time.
ETC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ETC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 8:50am
Lawyer-ese is hard to decipher.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic