Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Potomac Mills reducing commuter parking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slug123456789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 9:43am
My opinion is that PM should not care how many spaces commuters use because they have a lot of parking that is not being used! PM should be happy people want to park at the mall, it generates money for them.

I don't think building a multi level parking deck at horner would work because they would a.) have to close down part of the parking while they are building it, which would be a bad thing!!! b.) there are electrical wires running across the parking lot which would prevent something like a parking deck being built. If they do expand the lot onto new property THEN they can make that the multi-level deck because hey, virgin ground and would not impact commuters.

PM should just leave commuters alone and let them park wherever they want!!!! They have the parking available. And, don't tell me PM allowed commuters to use more parking thant they originally alloted. That is there own fault for letting it happen. To me it means they didn't even miss the parking spaces because THEY HAVE SO MUCH ALREADY!!! We should have been told this could be a possibility way back when they first had the thought and given people enough warning to make alternate plans. I want someone to tell me why they are cutting off the parking now when they could not possibly be ready to break ground yet!!
Late rider View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Late rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 11:38am
I think this is also tied to HOT lanes... Maybe they all made a business agreement so it will leave all of us from PWC to pay toll or get stuck in the traffic. Don't you all think so?
fed up View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 11:39am
The problem with three of the lots that were suggested for parking is that they are in the middle of Dale City, approximately ten minutes travel time from I-95 (Dale City Commuter Lot - behind Giant Food), Hillendale and Lindendale. K-Mart only has a limited amount of space and is not a PRTC bus stop so if you normally slug and take the bus home, the closest bus stop is Ashdale and Dale Boulevard. Then you would have to walk across Dale Boulevard (during rush hour) and up the street to K-Mart which makes this a very unsafe route. As for the 123 commuter parking lot, the logistics of getting to that lot is the major problem. I also don't believe that there are a total of 725 available spots at any of these lots combined.

Doesn't the BOS have to approve any site changes? Can't they request that Pot Mills move the commuter parking lot to the backside of the mall. PRTC moved its local bus stop to the backside, why can't the commuters also move to the back side.
acarter729 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acarter729 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 12:17pm
I just received an alert from PRTC that they will be moving the PRTC bus stop located near the main entrance of Potomac Mills Mall to the mall entrance near F&M Furniture. Here is the link to PRTC's website with this announcement.
http://prtctransit.org/myprtc/service-updates/service_updates.php?docid=267
Spectrepilot View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spectrepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 12:33pm
quote:
Originally posted by slug123456789

My opinion is that PM should not care how many spaces commuters use because they have a lot of parking that is not being used! PM should be happy people want to park at the mall, it generates money for them.

I don't think building a multi level parking deck at horner would work because they would a.) have to close down part of the parking while they are building it, which would be a bad thing!!! b.) there are electrical wires running across the parking lot which would prevent something like a parking deck being built. If they do expand the lot onto new property THEN they can make that the multi-level deck because hey, virgin ground and would not impact commuters.

PM should just leave commuters alone and let them park wherever they want!!!! They have the parking available. And, don't tell me PM allowed commuters to use more parking thant they originally alloted. That is there own fault for letting it happen. To me it means they didn't even miss the parking spaces because THEY HAVE SO MUCH ALREADY!!! We should have been told this could be a possibility way back when they first had the thought and given people enough warning to make alternate plans. I want someone to tell me why they are cutting off the parking now when they could not possibly be ready to break ground yet!!

That is a mighty big sense of entitlement, especially when you are talking about private property. Please pass along your home address...I DEMAND to park on your property.

how do you know they are not ready to break ground? Typically for new construction projects a portion of land is set aside before breaking ground to being in equipment and support buildings for said construction. It is very disingenuous to fault the owners of private property when they have been providing a free service to the residents of this area for year. Your elected officials are the ones to blame, they have demonstrated no forethought or strategic leadership.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acarter729 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 12:37pm
I just received an alert from PRTC that they will be moving the PRTC bus stop located near the main entrance of Potomac Mills Mall to the mall entrance near F&M Furniture. Here is the link to PRTC's website with this announcement.

This is the spot across from Ikea and the back side of Costco. Maybe we can still convince the Mall management that this is an option. It's a win-win situation for all - they can still continue with their "mall remodeling", we'll be away from the front entrance of the mall and still have free parking and the new bus stops will be there.
slug123456789 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slug123456789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 12:42pm
quote:
Originally posted by acarter729

Sounds to me like the slug lines can be moved there.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acarter729 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 12:45pm
quote:
Originally posted by Bodybykids

I don't slug from Potomac Mills but I agree with FedUp. Behind Costco, Across from IKEA and also where the furniture store is - these area's very rarely fill up and certainly not during the work-week hours. Why not move the parking to these area's?

If they reduce it to 250 spots - will PRTC also move the bus lines from there?

Do any of the commuters who park at Potomac Mills consider using the Lot off of the Occoquan/123 exit? I don't think this lot fills up and its not that far from Potomac Mills.

Just my 2 cents.

Hi, PRTC just announced that they are moving their bus stops from the front of the mall to the stop by F&M furniture. Maybe the mall can reconsider just relocating the slug line pick up and drop off point to this lot.
bcostello View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcostello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 12:39pm
In order to build the expansion, Simon Malls would have to have an approved site plan and an approved set of building plans. Has anyone asked Simon Malls or the County if the site plan or building plans are approved or even submitted? If neither have been approved...this expansion is at least a year away. If this is so, why the rush for next month?

I think before the rush to find news spaces, I think some more questions need to be asked of the Mall. Although it is their property and Simon can choose to have the spaces or not, I do think they need to be transparent about their reasons if no site/buildingplans have even been submitted.

BCC
ranajee View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranajee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 1:15pm
BOYCOTT THE MALL:

Let's spread the word and Boycott the mall for about a month. It will surely bring down the sales and the Mall management may think of granting more space to commuters.

I was also looking at the Google Satellite view and it shows the mall and parking (probably it's a weekend, not weekday). There are still plenty of parking even on the weekend (which is usually a busy day).

MY SUGGESTED PARKING LOT:
Here is what I would suggest that the parking should be and it does not effect the Potomac Mills business in any ways:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_6Ao5y3-OIbk/TTnKkplAlaI/AAAAAAAACD4/hxHB79qdP70/s720/PotomacMills__Parking_Suggested.jpg

I work in Falls Church and I drive every day, but I used to slug before and I pick up from Potomac Mills often. This parking change does not effect me directly, but I do feel the pain that we all will see in less than 30 days. So, please act now

Boycott the mall from Feb 1, 2011 until Feb 28, 2011 - Let the sale go down and spread the word as much as you can and make the mall management realize that their business will be possible because of consumers like us. Our parking problem needs to be solved and it for sure does not effect the mall business in any way.

Adnan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic