Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driver's Choice (Can you take a third?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NO44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driver's Choice (Can you take a third?)
    Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 9:16am
I drive and in the afternoon I don't mind taking extra people as I have no deadline to get home and we are all going to the same place...but in the morning I am usually too much in a rush especially when 3 different people want to get out at three different places along 14th street, i just don't have time. The past 2 times I have picked up in the morning (new location for me) and sluggers ask "can you take a third?" and I have declined for reason aforementioned, I have been getting a lot of snide remarks from people still standing in line. (obvious, loud and rude remarks) Can ya'll show a little class?? I am not saying it's all the sluggers because most everyone I get is awesome, but please remember it is the driver's choice whether or not to take extra people. Thanks!

Nic
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 11:07am
Hi NO44. You are perfectly within your right to only take two riders. Just memorize the riders' faces who made the remarks and never pick them up.

I usually only ask the driver if they can take a 3rd in the evening when it gets close to 6 pm. If they say no, I just say ok and step back. I've been doing this for 30+ yrs and patience is the key to slugging.
NO44 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NO44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 11:45am
Thanks Jody! Like I said, most of my experience in slugging has been great, I have even made great connections and slug friends [:)]

I posted this not only to vent, but in case a few bad apples scare off other drivers from continuing to pick up slugs. I like the system and I think it works great!

quote:
Originally posted by Jody

Hi NO44. You are perfectly within your right to only take two riders. Just memorize the riders' faces who made the remarks and never pick them up.

I usually only ask the driver if they can take a 3rd in the evening when it gets close to 6 pm. If they say no, I just say ok and step back. I've been doing this for 30+ yrs and patience is the key to slugging.

Nic
swannaws View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swannaws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 12:34pm
From a slugs point of view, I absolutely HATE IT when someone from the back of the line shouts "ask if they will take a third". If the driver wants to take "a third" they will say so when they pull up.
Bodybykids View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bodybykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 4:09pm
Sometimes it bothers me also but I also see the other side. I slug in the morning while it is still dark out.....I will usually ask if a driver can take a third if there is only 1 person left in the line and I see there is nothing on the additional seat ( a lot of drivers place their things in the backseat). When I drive, I always offer to take 3 to keep the lines and people moving.[;)]
NO44 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NO44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 4:17pm
I wouldn't leave someone alone, but as I said stopping at three different places (which is what usually happens) when your pressed for time is just not for me.

quote:
Originally posted by Bodybykids

Sometimes it bothers me also but I also see the other side. I slug in the morning while it is still dark out.....I will usually ask if a driver can take a third if there is only 1 person left in the line and I see there is nothing on the additional seat ( a lot of drivers place their things in the backseat). When I drive, I always offer to take 3 to keep the lines and people moving.[;)]

Nic
AngloAustrian View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngloAustrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2010 at 10:18am
Another reason for not taking a third is insurance. If you have an accident and you have three (or more, I often see drivers with mini vans take six!) riders, your insurance may not cover all the claims and then they go after you/your personal funds. Not 100% sure how this works, but you have to figure that more riders means more insurance claims in case of an accident. I'm a slugger, so I appreciate it when a driver takes a third, but I also understand the many reasons why one doesn't. Asking doesn't hurt, because I often see drivers say "yes," but sluggers should understand that there are many reasons why a driver wouldn't want to take a third and let it go. I have never seen anybody be rude at a "no," so sorry to hear that that is happening to you.
KennyP View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KennyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 10:02am
That's good to know because I have just starting slugging and have heard people ask if the driver could take a third. I does seem a bit much, but be respectful of the driver.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic