Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Slug Line to Alexandria!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Slug Line to Alexandria!!
    Posted: 15 May 2010 at 7:40am
Slug directly into Alexandria??? Well, I hope so! Most slug lines have destinations that terminate in or immediatly around the downtown area. We are try to develop a new slug that does NOT terminate near the downtown area, but directly the City of Alexandria.

For those who work in the City of Alexandria and slug, they must slug to someplace like the Pentagon and take the Metro or bus to Alexandria. This works, but it would work even better if we started a slug line directly to either the:
- Eisenhower Metro Station (Hoffman building) or to the
- King Street Metro

From either location the slug can either take the metro to their final destination if needed or just walk to work. The idea is that it would shorten the commute for both drivers and slugs.

The questions for the slugging community are:
1) What would be the best location to start a line like this??? One idea was to use the Woodbridge VRE station. It has free parking and for the return trip the VRE would be an option.

2) Other starting points could be Dumfries 234 or one of the Stafford lots. I just think we need to pick one that supports the largest group interested.

3) Where should the slug line terminate? My first thought was Eisenhower Metro (next to the Hoffman buildings) or the King Street Metro. Terminating next at a Metro station is important in case the slug needs to continue to their final destination.

Anyway, I am anxious to get feedback on everyones thoughts. Please use this thread to communicate ideas.

Also, I have posted an "Instant Poll" on the homepage to gather information on this. Please post your thoughts.
marcelhenryg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcelhenryg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2010 at 7:40pm
I highly support this and would like to help make it work! From the ending point in Alexandria, the DASH bush system is a great and cheap option to take commuters to their final destinations and back to the slug line at the end of the day. rides are only $1.25 each way and pretty much take you anywhere throughout alexandria.
Nancy Swartout View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Swartout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 9:49pm
I think this would be a great idea. And it doesn't have to start from any 'one' commuter lot; it could go from 1-2 in the northern half (Rt 234 and VRE Woodbrige) and 1-2 in the southern half (610-Garrisonville and Rt 17). There are times when I need to go to Ft Belvoir and I pick up slugs, take them to Pentagon/Crystal City and then have to do a u-turn back to Belvoir. Being able to drop off in Alexandria would be great. Franconia/Springfield metro would be an option but I hear it's gotten not safe to hang out there after hours.

Nancy
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 12:29am
I would not be using this, but I wanted to offer a comment for those of you thinking about the location. You might be put off by the thought of the Eisenhower Avenue Metro stop because historically it's been a bit convoluted to get there from the Beltway due to the asinine layout of the road around there (you had to exit to northbound Telegraph, hook right onto Pershing, go right again on Stovall, and then go left on Eisenhower). That will all have changed by the end of 2010, if the current construction schedule holds. You may have noticed how they demolished the old ramp from the Outer Loop to northbound Telegraph. They're in the process of replacing that ramp and when the work is done, you'll exit the Beltway and then the ramp will split with the left-hand fork going to northbound Telegraph and the right-hand fork joining the newly-constructed (and not yet completed) flyover ramp that will dump you onto Eisenhower at the light outside the Holiday Inn.

But getting back TO the Beltway in the afternoon will not really improve from that spot.

Just something that bears pointing out in terms of the road system, given that the construction is still in progress through there and is not scheduled to be done until sometime in 2012.
Paula View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 9:15am
YAY!! We've wanted something like this for a LONG time. I know this poll is the City of Alexandria, but can I also add a vote for the Springfield Metro stop?

Otherwise, hubby would probably vote for Eisenhower; I'd vote for King St. Since he's the driver, I guess his vote is the one that counts.

Edited: Preferred starting point would be one of the Stafford lots, although I agree you should try a couple of different lots both north and south.
ogfking View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ogfking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 9:20am
I believe this is a good idea, but I don't really have a dog in the fight, since I slug to the Pentagon. I wanted to offer a suggestion for everyone to consider whatever that new monstrous gov't building they're constructing there on the West side of I-395 at King St/Seminary Rd. I'm sure all of you know more about it than I do, but seems that lots of people will be commuting to that building in the near future...

Jim
snlfam View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snlfam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 9:46am
Just thinking out loud here...
Slugging works best on HOV lanes... otherwise, there is much less incentive. I believe the last HOV exit before the Pentagon is Springfield (assuming you are coming 95/395).
Springfield has a metro stop and it is fairly close to the 95 exit... although I don't know what traffic is like around there during rush hours.
How far from the HOV lanes is the Eisenhower Metro? Is there a proposed HOV lane on 495 that I am unaware of?
Based on these assumptions, it occurs to me that the best plan to generate enough "mass" to work is to have a slug-line from any of the commuter lots south of Springfield to the Springfield metro. This options would allow riders to then use the metro or bus system to get to the rest of Alexandria. This also offers the greatest degree of flexibility to drivers (ones going north or east on 495 as well as locations in Alexandria/Arlington earlier than Pentagon City) without having 3 people stuck on the normal lanes of the major thoroughfares. As much as riders would appreciate a ride to different parts of Alexandria, there is little non-altruistic incentive to drivers to take them beyond Springfield.
This isn't to say that if the driver and rider happen to be going to the same location that the driver wouldn't be willing to take them, but, in my opinion, the odds are better for a Springfield Metro<>South 95 connection.
In the spirit of full disclosure, I commute to DC and would likely not use any of these options if they were available.
Hope this is helpful to the conversation.
HappySlugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HappySlugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 2:24pm
This is a great idea and will be great for a lot of commuters. I will like for it to happen sooner and willing to help make it happen. The dash bus, king street and Eisenhower metro stations are there to connect it all and make it a good way for thousands of folks to go back and forth work and home.[:)]

AM
DelRichAnderson View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DelRichAnderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 4:50pm
These are outstanding proposals. Regardless of the final decision on new slugging locations, more are needed. From 2001 until 2009, I slugged from either Horner Road or Potomac Mills to the Pentagon as an active duty Air Force member for 30 years. I also worked at a military facility on Eisenhower Avenue and can personally attest to the need for a slug line there. Now that I am retired (February 2009) and represent Prince William County in the Virginia House of Delegates, I am most concerned that the proposed I-95/395 HOT Lanes not, repeat NOT, adversely impact the outstanding slug system that has operated so effectively for decades--because government has left management of the slug system to citizen ingenuity. I would value any comments or observations that subscribers to this forum care to offer so that I have current information on the slug system. I can be reached best via my legislative email address (DelRAnderson@house.virginia.gov) or even at home (703-730-1380). I feel that I need to be reachable if I am going to be responsive. Thanks for the opportunity to comment, and Happy Memorial Day to all!

Del. Rich Anderson, 51 House District, Virginia General Assembly
GreenSlug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenSlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 7:31pm
I support an endpoint at Springfield Metro with a start point at Stafford/Mine Rd or 630.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic