Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slug Line Documentary Film: Participate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorbott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slug Line Documentary Film: Participate
    Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 8:35pm
To all fellow slug riders and drivers:

A friend of mine and I are student film-makers and are in the pre-production stage of a documentary about the slug line: what it is, how it works and maybe more important why it works. We are looking for people who are willing to let two people ride with them to/from work for a day or two with a movie camera and microphone and answer questions about how slugging works and your experiences with slugging and perhaps the unwritten rules of slugging (are there any written rules?) we would also like to do more formal "sit-down" interviews as well. if you are interested in being involved please email me. we are planning to begin shooting sometime toward the middle of May 2009. I can give you more details via email. Please help. I think this will be a really cool thing [8D] Thanks.

Quinn W Gorbutt
qwg2@email.vccs.edu
gatewayslug View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatewayslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 9:48am
Perhaps, if you are doing a documentary, you need to do a bit more research before your start filming. Many of your questions can be answered right on this website. There have also been numerous articles in the media but can't tell from your post if you have looked into any of this. I do hope that you will include some discussion of the impact HOT lanes is going to have on slugging. When the foreign company they want to turn our HOV lanes over to complains about the high number of non-paying car(slug) pools and sends a bill to the commonwealth the days of Three-are-Free will be over.
gorbott View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorbott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2009 at 12:40pm
We are interested in making the film not for our own information (my wife slugs to work daily and when i worked in the city i slugged as well. my father has slugged for 15+ years). The idea behind the film is to explore what motivates slug riders and drivers alike. any time i've tried to describe the way slugging works to a non-slugger their first response is almost always "you mean you hitch-hike?" our purpose is to get the idea of slugging out beyond the beltway. although the idea has been around for a long time it is still something that has not been widely implemented for various reasons. we want to explore those reasons as well. we do also want various opinions on the forthcoming HOT lanes and their potential impact on slugging. Thank you for the suggestions.

Quinn W Gorbutt
gorbott@gmail.com
gorbott View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorbott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2009 at 8:00am
We have had an excellent response from many interested individuals. Thank you. I am still looking for a few people who are drivers and pick up slugs to use HOV. If you are willing to discuss the slug line on camera while you drive to work, we can guarantee you two riders to and/or from work. Its a great opportunity and would really expedite our project. Shooting is scheduled starting 4 June through on or about 15 June. Get in touch! Thanks again.

Quinn W Gorbutt
gorbott@gmail.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic