Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Springfield Plaza Lot Closure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsrutstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 2:37pm
If both lots are indeed closed after this week, we've heard from Supervisor McKay's office that towing won't begin until mid-February. This gives FCDOT plenty of time to clarify the situation. I've e-mailed them at the address listed on the news release, and I encourage others to do the same. I think we need to focus the pressure on FCDOT for now. If FCDOT doesn't clarify the situation before mid-February, we can resume contacting our elected representatives.
thekazem View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thekazem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 2:55pm
jsrutstein, I completely agree. If we have a towing grace period through February 15 it gives the County time to clarify things.

But to be honest, I'm concerned about the owners towing next week. If the County does not have an agreement in writing, then some sluggers could be at risk. I'm going to avoid those spaces next week until we got concrete information.

Still no word from the Lee District yet. When I spoke to them this morning they said they would research and confirm which company owned which spaces.

jsrutstein View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsrutstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2009 at 3:06pm
All we officially have related to the closure are:

1) flyers left on some cars on Monday by FCDOT;

2) an FCDOT news release that addresses 75 spaces; and,

3) FCDOT maps (last updated when?) showing both lots closed.

In the meantime, we have word from Supervisor McKay's office that a commitment was made to hold off on towing until mid-February. In addition, we have what we've had all along which are signs posted various places designating the spaces commuters are allowed to use. I assume some of those signs are in the lot nearest K-Mart. If those signs disappear next week, while the ones in the other lot remain, that's a pretty strong signal.

I'm still hopeful that FCDOT will clarify the situation this week, but, if they don't, I, too may let others be more brave than I about risking being towed, because I have to pass Rolling Valley Mall's commuter lot on my way anyway.
sluglord View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluglord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 1:41pm
Great so are we now supposed to meet at Mcdonalds parking lot?
I'm tired of this city bossing us around.
LCH View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LCH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 1:47pm
I just spoke to Beth Francis at the Fairfax County Dept. of Transportation. She said that her office will be issuing a news release later today clarifying that only 75 commuter spaces in Springfield Plaza near K-Mart are being taken away at the end of this week. Commuters will still have access to around 200 spaces near the southern end of Springfield Plaza. Go to the following website by cob today to read/print the news release: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fcdot/
sluglord View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluglord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 1:50pm
Let's all just get bikes and ride together.
Jody View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 1:56pm
Great news! Thanks for keeping us updated.
sluglord View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluglord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 2:47pm
Yeah thanks for giving us the bad news. I hear they are charging people in Florida and Georgia a standard rate to ride the bus all year round. That's insane.
ede jermin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ede jermin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 3:52pm
Hello all

Looking to talk to sluggers impacted by the Springfield Lot closure who may be there tomorrow - Friday - morning between 7am and 8am. Please email me at ede.jermin@nbcuni.com

Thanks,
ede j

ede j, nbc 4
Jerry Senfield View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Senfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 3:58pm
We are already having a meeting there tomorrow. See you there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic