Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How important is your AM destination?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toomuchcoffeelady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How important is your AM destination?
    Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 1:13pm
I've been slugging in the last couple weeks, and having been the driver myself, I'm really, really appreciative of those who have been picking me up. (Though to the morning drivers - please don't take it personally if your slugs would rather snooze than talk).

But what I'm noticing is in the morning, I'm finding it VERY easy to get a ride quickly.... for example, this morning, I got a ride immediately because the 6 people in line in front of me all insisted on Pentagon and the driver was going to Crystal City. I know Metro sucks, and Crystal City is two stops further away from downtown, but I was really surprised that so many people were that adamant. Me personally, as long as I'm dropped off at the metro that takes one of my lines, I'm cool.

Not to be inflammatory, but just curious - those of you who are rigid about your morning destination, what's the reason?

(I understand why the PM destinations are inflexible, smartasses! [;)] )
mpatoka View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpatoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 1:33pm
I would make the assumption that the people headed for the Pentagon were not catching the Metro but were working in the bldg or catching a bus from there which isn't possible from CC. Do all CC drivers drop at the CC Metro or do some drop several blocks away? If so, then I could see where they would just wait for a Pentagon ride as the extra couple of minutes to wait is more convenient.

What I don't get some mornings at the 610 lot is there will be days when there have been upwards of 15 people at the front of the line waiting for a ride to CC and there is a steady flow of Pentagon drivers but they wait for CC.
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 2:38pm
I was temporarily stationed in Crystal City about a block from the metro a few years back. To take a ride to the Pentagon includes getting dropped off, walking to the metro, and taking it to Crystal City. It doesn't sound like much, but after walking from the designated drop off, taking the escalators, waiting for the metro, and then walking from the metro to your destination- you can easily spend an extra 20-30 minutes on your commute. I too was one of those people who would rather wait the few extra minutes for a CC driver, than take a ride to the Pentagon.

Slug'n till 2013 (when the HOT lanes roll in)
Mike2854 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike2854 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 7:44am
From my experience of taking people to Crystal City, there are pretty much three drop off points, 12th and Clark, Metro (which there are office buildings there), and 23rd St (which in reality is a crosswalk where two government buildings (at least I think that is what they are) are located.

Where do people get dropped off that go to the Pentagon?

I took Metro yesterday from the Pentagon to Crystal City because I needed to buy a new Smart trip card as the one I had broke, so an additional 20 minutes sounded about right, maybe 15 minutes. The walk isn't bad, it just takes a while to get to the train station itself. It helps that the Pentagon and Crystal City use dual lines, so it doesn't matter which one comes first. I think some people may "bank" on waiting longer is why they are insistent on certain drop off points.
VA_Slugger View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA_Slugger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 2:53pm
For me, it depends on a few things: The time, weather, and my overall feelings. If I'm early, I'll pass on a car or two if I'm going somewhere other than the driver. If the weather is bad, I'll opt for a Metro station and ride the extra stops. As for my feelings, if I feel like being a loner that morning [:(], I'll just ride the bus in and leave the slug line to my fellow sluggers. Either way is no big deal for me. [;)]
blacksky View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacksky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 11:04pm
quote:
Originally posted by toomuchcoffeelady

I've been slugging in the last couple weeks, and having been the driver myself, I'm really, really appreciative of those who have been picking me up. (Though to the morning drivers - please don't take it personally if your slugs would rather snooze than talk).

But what I'm noticing is in the morning, I'm finding it VERY easy to get a ride quickly.... for example, this morning, I got a ride immediately because the 6 people in line in front of me all insisted on Pentagon and the driver was going to Crystal City. I know Metro sucks, and Crystal City is two stops further away from downtown, but I was really surprised that so many people were that adamant. Me personally, as long as I'm dropped off at the metro that takes one of my lines, I'm cool.

Not to be inflammatory, but just curious - those of you who are rigid about your morning destination, what's the reason?

(I understand why the PM destinations are inflexible, smartasses! [;)] )

As long as I am at a place w/ a Metro stop, I'm pretty much OK with it...I will caveat that with the statement that I really don't like L'Enfant, mainly because the station is so cumbersome. Overall though, 40+ miles closer is better than a long drive, or a LONGER walk :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic